Home General Discussion

ZUNE, now with Copyright Cop-ware

Replies

• j_bradford
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I honestly almost bought one a month ago, but being a linux user, I realized it's probably never going to be possible to transfer stuff to it :/ Now I'm even happier with my choice.

I ended up getting a Zen Vision W 30GB and I'm very happy with it.

Edit: we'll see. I can believe MS doing this, and things link this typically have some basis, but it may be only rumors I guess.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i have one, i dont watch NBC shows on it so I guess it doesnt really matter...

And frankly, if a decent copyright protection starts getting written into everything (it wont in the ipod because steve jobs thinks the internet means everyone else's shit belongs to me) then maybe people will actually buy music again.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this is a fake news story based on the reasons behind NBC's breakup with iTunes and migration to Zune. Basically they wouldn't deal with iTunes because they wanted some filter shit on there and Jobs said no. Then they suddenly team up with Zune so everyone presumed that Zune said yes, which they didn't.

They even made a press release.
    "Microsoft has no plans or commitments to implement content filtering features in the Zune family of devices as part of our content distribution deal with NBC,"

It still stands that iTunes + iPod have the only video service out there, if you want to put video on your portable media player (other than iPod) - especially music videos - you need to "obtain" them from somewhere... that somewhere is nowhere but iTunes for legal downloads, and bit torrent for anything else. Then you need to convert the video. Something iTunes already did for you.

IMHO they made a huge mistake. NBC would have made a packet on iTunes store, because of the existing infrastructure, DRM or not.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ...or Tivo Desktop
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, you anti-Microsoft people crack me up.

Put down the Zune all you fuckin want, but I have a badass 30gb MP3 player that syncs through Wifi, has a fat sexy screen, has good battery life, plays all kinds of different formats, and has one of the nicest interfaces I've ever used. And it was barely over $100. Suck my balls hippies.
    aesir wrote: »
    i have one, i dont watch NBC shows on it so I guess it doesnt really matter...

And frankly, if a decent copyright protection starts getting written into everything (it wont in the ipod because steve jobs thinks the internet means everyone else's shit belongs to me) then maybe people will actually buy music again.

The iPod pretty much pioneered early music DRM. DRM has dominated iTunes up until lately.