Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP)Human face - need C&C

Hi, this model is for my school proj. i'm trying to do a stylized human based on this sketch.

Poly: 422
Max poly with body & cloth: 6000

t1739705_face.jpg
t1739704_face2.jpg
t1739703_face1.jpg

i've look on some tutorial on face modelling, but somehow i feel this model is not really correct.
looking for C&C to improve mostly on the modelling side.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a pretty good start.

The jawline needs a lot of work, as does the nose and the mouth. Take the sketch into PhotoShop and overlay it on the model shots and play with the opacity to see what I'm talking about.

The sketch has a pointy chin with a sharply angled jawline, the model very rounded.

It might help to import your sketch as planes you use to build off of.

Paint Overs:
    NikkoHeadPortait.gifNikkoHeadProfile.gif
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Usually you dont want to end the loops in your head, if possible try and figure out how to wrap them around and only use ngons when you have to. Try and study some basic typology of some other people around the forum, that can be very helpful. You also need to leave a hole for the ear and make sure you have enough edges to attach the ear, because you want the face to flow into the ear without pinching.

Also try using a photographic reference to start with and then you can change it to fit your character better once you have the basic anatomy correct.

face2help.jpg

This might help, sorry I didn't have my tablet on me, but theres a lot more to this than most people think, so just pay attention to the flow, and go with the flow!

Use nice even spacing, you don't want any polys that are smaller or narrower than others. This will come into play when you want to add details.

Always use quads! Never tri's, never 5 sides.*

Good Job so far!

*unless your a badass
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't agree with the always quads thing....unless you plan on using a sculpting program, like ZBrush, or MB....when it goes into the game engine, every quad will be turned into a tri so it's okay to have them. From my understanding, 5 sides are okay if your engine can interpolate them right...correct me if I'm wrong.;-)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't agree with the always quads thing....unless you plan on using a sculpting program, like ZBrush, or MB....when it goes into the game engine, every quad will be turned into a tri so it's okay to have them. From my understanding, 5 sides are okay if your engine can interpolate them right...correct me if I'm wrong.;-)

He is very right, but for basic beginner practices, you should only use tris and 5 sides when you understand why your using them, and not for a lack of better geometry, yes you can use tris and 5 sides, but only for the right reasons, and as a beginner it would be better to start out just using quads, it will help you be more succesful in the long run.
  • Nikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the comments really help me a lot. @vig if you didn't tell me my model is rounder i won't notice it until it's too late thx.

@Firecracker197 "Usually you dont want to end the loops in your head: << what loops end?? srry not really undertand.

srry for bad english, it's not my main language.

i'll continue to fix the model & will upload more.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basically just make sure that nothing stops and has a really sharp turn, you want your geometry to flow and make a curve like a circle.
  • mttjss
  • Nikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for today. basically i remodel the head.

t1741533_facewirefront.jpg
    t1741532_facewireside.jpg
    t1741531_facewirepers.jpg
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its looking a lot better good job! Keep working at it!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There ya go....now just keep on trucking and you'll see results.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    wow what a improvement,- I guess those posts really helped
  • Nikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update! now i'm stuck, no idea to do the ears

i1743317_frontwire2.jpg
    t1743318_sidewire2.jpg

& meshsmooth

t1743316_meshsmooth.jpg

any1 can help with the ears??
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found a tutorial awhile back on modeling ears, i can't remember the site though, so I'll try and simplify the tutorial.

First you need a reference image of the ear you want. Are you familiar with edge modeling? Create a plane, convert to edit poly, and shift+drag to create new faces. Using this method, create your ears outline, then bring the inside edges in to create the depth of the ear.

If I can find the site, I'll definitely post it for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do it pretty much the same way but with a twist.

Using a spline line I outline the ear right on top of the of the reference plane. Apply a transparent material to it, (so I can see the plane) convert it to E-Poly and start cutting/drawing in edges and pushing geometry around until I get something I'm happy with.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    This could be useful:
    Ear Part 1
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v5888710ZtkzNNcz

Ear Part 2
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6273009gxSD4kZs

Check out the other tutorials for modeling a full head.
  • RustyFranks
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

There's the tutorial I was talking about, thanks Franks :-)
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    :poly107::poly142::poly112:
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Nikko, you are receiving some great feedback and I have nothing much more to add. Except for one small thing.

You've taken everyone's critiques into account and make adjustments accordingly, but do you understand why the edge loops flow the way they do, and how they help the mesh deform when it comes to animating it? Because with characters, you're not just capturing form, but function as well. The mesh has to maintain its form as its being deformed ... if that makes sense, lol.

When I first started out doing characters, i only cared about capturing the perfect silhouette in the T-pose. But after rigging the character and saw how terribly the mesh deformed, the sight gave me nightmares for weeks.

So to better understand what each edgeloop was doing, here's what I did and I found it helped me.

- Make an instance of your mesh.
    - Make a rough stickman-type skeleton that matches where the joints are on your mesh.
    - Adjust the flow of your mesh as you see fit. The changes will reflect on the instanced copy.
    - Bind the instanced mesh (freeze transform, delete history first) to the bones.
    - test the deformation! If still not good, unbind skeleton, delete skin, and create another instance.
    - repeat.

After enough screw ups, I started being able to predict how the mesh would deform, and how to manipulate loops so it'd deform the way I wanted it to. Of course, this is just a method that helped me understand, so hopefully it'll work for you too - unless you found a better way that works for you already. Also, looking at reference will boost your understanding even more.
  • Nikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the ears tut, it helps a lot. here's another update

i1749353_frontside.jpg
    i1749352_persp.jpg
    t1749354_frontsidewire.jpg
    t1749355_closeupears.jpg

C&C apreciated

@pangarang thx for the tip, i'll try it out as soon i do the arms & legs
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress, keep at it!

I think the ear might be too far back. This might help a tiny bit.
    http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm
    Basically the ear hole, sits on top of the jawline in the center of the head. The rest of the ear flowers out of that hole and hangs out in the back half of the head.
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tagged for home use.
  • Nikko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lecturer want to see it up & running into the unreal engine 3. But we just know the engine for couple of weeks and not really understand the animation, boning, system.
    So the lecturer tell us to follow the body build from UT3_male model use their rig.

Here's the update, it looks like he's on steroids/ something....

frontsidefullbodywg9.jpg
    frontsidefullbodywg9.570576f4ad.jpg

frontsidefullbodywirevx6.jpg
    frontsidefullbodywirevx6.0d60a2a1a3.jpg

C&C will be very helpfull
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waist seems a bit too small and the armpits need to be brought in closer to the body. Legs are also a bit too long.