Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Dekard

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Some of my musings:

This is a project I'm finishing up working on and close to completion just a simple building New York style using some modular portions to allow for more design options. Textures are combination of hand painted and photo reference that I took downtown. 10k tris limit leaves 3100 for more electrical pipes, fire escape w/ doors, possible bill board, some other items to break up some of the repetitive textures on the other two sides of the building.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Textures (so far 1 1024x1024 and 2 256x256) Still need to work on my uv layout some empty space there, also need to finish up normal and spec maps. I also could have just flipped the uv's on half the windows to give myself 25% more room on the texture sheet, I was still learning max and had a week to finish this art test as well as learn max enough to complete the model.
urb_tex.jpg

and some crappy doodles from tonight

doodles.jpg

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Dekard. Might be worth getting some sort of spec in there as soon as you can. There is something off putting when the windows don't pop at all. The block air conditioners are a nice device to break it up a bit, but it'd be a good area for an extra dose of grime. Do most buildings your reffing have bricks all the way to the ground, or is a bit of concrete skirting? Seems to be an odd artifact in the middle of most of the window's ledges. Might be worth including a shot with a strong key light.

The charicatures look very snappy. Look forward to watching the progress.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with kary, the bricks seem to control too much of the building, and the general lack of contrast in them kinda keeps the other elements from popping. It could definitely benefit from some added detail somewhere, either in the form of a conrete skirt, some kind of window borders, or maybe other concrete decoration around the exterior. Big grey blocks at regular intervals up the corner columns, some kinda borders around the ground level details like the doors. It's just looking at me with big round needy eyes, pleading for another layer of details. What you've got so far is solid though, no crits on the existing model :)

more pls, especially more 2d.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking solid to me but it needs just a little bit more to make it pop. The building needs some trimming on the corners, around the doors and windows, just to mix up the brick pattern, which as someone pointed out earlier, really controls the overall texture. For a building in New York, I'd assume there'd be fire escapes which could add more character to the building. Change up the colour of the rusty door, as it blends abit too much into the brick right now. Maybe some graffitti alongsid the buildings, old posters, an ashtray up front, a bench/bus stop to fill out the front area.

Just some ideas. Hope it helps.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I'll definitely keep working on it, fixed a few things plan on adding about 2100 more tris of details to the building, driving out to Dallas this weekend so I'll start back up on it again next Monday night.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figured since I haven't been updating here recently, I'd kick it off with some random shit. Been running through a crap load of tuts lately trying to find new workflows I can use.

dumpster1.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need to get to crakin again.. I quit my game job, and went to work for the church and some of my extra time is spent at Six Flags doing caricatures, so we'll see how this goes..

here's something I'm working on at the moment, a bible story thing for church

elisha.jpg