Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NAE BDU ZBRUSH WIP gimme some crit (spug check this out)

I haven't posted for about a week or two but here is the most recent thing im working on...tell me what you fellas and ladies think
WIP-3.jpg

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool. The lined fabric is all the same thickness. Thicken the lines on the chest, resulting in less but fatter lines. Yeah too much Medium Feq detail. Get some big shapes in there. That's my crit.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    you doing alot of the detail with alpha brushes? I need to dig back in zbrush and try some hard edge sculpting :/
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    his limbs look tiny
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i agree with low odor, the limbs look too small, and the torso is not big enough. I would try messing with the scale of the limbs, and see how that looks. Looking great though man, Im gonna come to aip to recruit some talent...wink wink
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Spug are you planning on world domination?

P.S. Travis you know my critiques, i'll just slap you in class saturday.
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys does anyone know how to properly rescale limbs in zbrush, because you fellas are correct about the limbs...this normal map is going to go on a game character, so would it just be easier to adjust in 3dsmax?
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I'm sure you could use Transpose Master & scale the hands in ZB, but I find it easier to simply export the first SubD level out as an OBJ, take it into Maya (or Max, in your case), make the adjustments, then import the OBJ back into the first level of you ZB sculpt. If you do that, don't forget to save level 1 as a Morph Target, or else you might lose some information after the import.

It may be easier after all to adjust in ZBrush, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of all the ZB controls and features :P

Hope this helps.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    WipEout wrote: »
    I'm sure you could use Transpose Master & scale the hands in ZB, but I find it easier to simply export the first SubD level out as an OBJ, take it into Maya (or Max, in your case), make the adjustments, then import the OBJ back into the first level of you ZB sculpt. If you do that, don't forget to save level 1 as a Morph Target, or else you might lose some information after the import.

It may be easier after all to adjust in ZBrush, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of all the ZB controls and features :P

Hope this helps.

I know it works with maya but will that work with max?
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as long as you can import the OBJ into Max without Max rearranging the Vertex order of the mesh, then yeah, it should work. Im not sure of the import/export options for Max, so check Pixologic's ZClassroom videos about the Max Workflow.

Aside from those settings, everything is pretty straightforward: Just export your level 1 as an OBJ from ZB, then import it into Max, make your adjustments, then export the OBJ from Max the same as you did to bring the model into ZB. Then when you're back in ZBrush, instead of clicking on "Load Tool" you would make sure you have the same subtool selected that you exported (in your case, the subtool containing the hands). With that subtool selected, click Morph Target > StoreMT, then click Tool>Import. grab the OBJ you just exported from Max, and voila! The subtool's hands will change appropriately. Now go back to Morph Target, and press Switch. If the hands shrink again, press switch again and just delete that Morph Target-- you won't need it.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    cheers bud, it does seem to work in Max as well, yay!
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad to help!

And I'm digging the armor-- but I'm curious about the head--- it looks an awful lot like a head in Maya's tutorials...
    at the bottom of this page here.

I also see a little bit of Master Chief in there, but then he's not a very original character design to begin with, so looking similar to that wouldn't be too hard...

Either way, you're sculpting, so you can take the look of your dude anywhere you damn well please! Don't let my dick comments deter you!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing him all done!
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are no dick comments...only constructive whatever comments you receive always will make you think about things later if not immediately....the character is based on a concepts that we done by myself and by my friend Eric Dolphin (graduating game artist look him up) ill post the modelsheet again soon after i get it back off of him...the model sheet was very shotty so alot was changed...and the overall asthetic designs on the body were never truly flushed out...im just taking a whack at it...Thanks again for all the help fellas its much appriciated...keep looking for further milestone on the project....
    Thanks again