Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Hi, another portfolio up for crits :)
I'm about to graduate from a games design course in a few monthes, so will be needing to spend alot of time on building up my portfolio in the coming weeks.

http://tompoon.com/old

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I like your old uni work way more as the upfront characters, those are more original. The greenish glow is not very much to my liking it reminds me little bit of 90´s webdesign.
    My tip would be to make the webdesign as modest as possible (hardly to none colors or eye catching elements)- let rather the works speak.
    The banner font is also not a beauty in my eye´s,- maybe have a look here

I think that some characters do have a good technical level like the deamon hunter. Most pics have simple lighting,- how about adding some colored lights or making some nice renderings from them - right now it looks like the basic light in every 3d application. Maybe some 3 point lighting
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with renderhjs on liking some of your university works, the lighting issue and the font.

You should definitely throw some of those enviroment pic's in your front page with the characters, it will show off your skill diversity better. I know it says you are a character artist. But keep your options open so you can get any job experience in the industry.

Outer glow is not a good Idea.

Navigation is simple and sweet = good.

Remember anything you put in your portfolio that has a lower quality than the other stuff an employer will see that too. So only show your best. I would pick a couple of your better environment pic's and then nuke off your old works section.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm the problem with those environments (apart from the top low poly one) is that they werent designed for games. They are all very high poly and all use default 3d max textures and aren't even UV unwrapped. Only a few objects in each scene have proper UVs and unique texture maps.
    Do you still think its a good idea to put up plain "3d work" that doesnt really apply to games?

Thanks for the other suggestions, they were very helpful - now I'm gonna go search through 10,000 fonts to find one I like :p

Heres a mock up of a design I was thinking about;

webmock.jpg

The squares will of course be thumbnails of the character to the left. By doing this I will be removing all 4 of their seperate pages too
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Looks Better.

Put the words e-mail in the place of contact@tompoon.com.
    the small font is hard to read and if you use it again use more spacing between the letters.

I also would not put a bunch of empty squares because it will make it look like you have less stuff or unfinished stuff, which is bad to the employers eye.

I do not know what you have plained with the characters being out to the side but keep them click-able like before with a link to their own page. No one once to click a billion thumbnails of pictures that go to one character ( that is actually just a preference of mine tho).

Keep rolling with the punches, this website will look good when you get it done.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The empty squares were just placeholders to show the layout :p

I tried another new approach

http://tompoon.com/

old one is at http://tompoon.com/old
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    For a portfolio site, usually the home page is the gallery. I think your site design is pretty solid----you have your most latest piece as the first thing seen, and links that aren't offensive to the viewer, yet obvious/clear enough. I think now you could go back and tweak some thing with the art, mostly with the Chun-Li demo reel. Her fight animation is decent, but the walk cycle needs work. Her legs lock frequently, and you have nice secondary animation in the headgear, but the opposition from the hips to the shoulders aren't there. Also, during the turnaround, an idle would be nice to really push the character. Keep it up though.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Yozora,

I really like the new approach one. I would just take out "Other Character Work" section. Compared to the rest of your stuff it looks out of place. I would try moving the "Demo, Gallery,Resume," section somewhere else, it seems to cluttered there. I would put it at the top, since you have Gallery up there all ready. And maybe fix the "S" on Character Arti"s"t. But I love how you have your work in the main page now.
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall the website is looking good. I think your background pieces are nice.

I was looking at Chun Li and wondering if you would be better off reworking the textures on the face? She's looking a bit like a mannequin. Maybe better lighting and rendering might help?