Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Plucker - Jack

One of my first actually working from polished concept. critiques welcome and the hair is a separate object, right now I'm need to get a fix for the hood, as I neglected to include the straps that come down off of it. got a tech thread on it here: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53263 and yea I know it's been done, love Brom's art though. If you havent seen it, check it out here: http://www.bromart.com/ here s the concept:JackMean.jpg and my blocking out in mudbox: jack1.jpgjack2.jpgjack3.jpgjack4.jpg

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I rather liked The Plucker. Brom isn't terribly good with the written word, but the the art was great.

The proportions you've got for the character aren't very true to the original at this stage. You'd be better to use the one on this page: http://www.theplucker.com/goodies.htm
    than the reference shown above. It doesn't have the harsh shadows and allows you to better see the shape of Jack's torso and jacket.

Bobo the Seal did a really nice low poly version of Jack a while back. It might be worth hunting down for reference purposes too
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I was actually looking at Bobo's, someone posted a link to it on the technical-board thread that I had open. I've also had the book open while I've been working on him. when you say proportions do you mean head ->body proportions are off or that he's just too meaty compared to the concept? hmm his head may be too big... well heres an update, couldnt sleep and did some work till 4. still needs a lot of work and some cleanup. And thanks Jackablade, I appreciate your insight.
    critiques welcome as always.

jack5.jpg
    jack6.jpg
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update on Jack while I wait on my car's oil change...
    added some tertiary detailing broke the symetry a bit, stiches on body and clothes. I think his epaulets may need a bit of fixing, they're a little longer than the concept, though I did touch up his jacket thing, trying to make it shorter like the concept, and made his... er.... cup a bit larger. Almost ready to start building my lowpoly I think. Any suggestions/fixes anyone wants to make before I do so?
    Thanks.

jack7-1.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great!

I think you could benefit from sculpting a few separate pieces instead of doing it all from one mesh. Doing a bit of high poly modeling in place of sculpting will help you keep some of your hard edges hard, and not bloby. Also working with separate pieces give you a chance to work on smaller more dense pieces without having the whole model out and visible.

Sculpt to block stuff out.
    High poly model to make hard edges hard again.
    Sculpt in final details.
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestion Vig... Right now I just have the two meshes, hair and hat flaps, and the rest of the model. I might finish this guy up the way he is as texture practice, since I'm thinking if i take out the jacket-thing and make it a highpoly instead I'm going to start all over.... which I guess would be a good idea.... hm. ugh. ;-[
    guess I'll finish him up then start again, maybe with a different character from the same book? I'll see what I can do, thanks again Vig.

edit: actually, on second thought I think I'll try highpolying jacket and boots. worth the extra time I'd bet.