Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Massbot's portfolio

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
www.curtad.com - MY 'folio.

After reading all the advice given here to others on their folio's I put mine together. Again i'm another student soon to graduate and will be applying for work soon.

Was just after some general impressions really, and anything I should change or add?

Work wise, I think i'm going to replace the orc guy with some gritty real prop work (as he's the oldest and in my eyes weakest thing)

Thanks in advance,

Massbot.

Replies

• Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea i agree with taking that orc down.. i would also take out that concept page next to the orc as them 2 seem like the weakest in your group.. but yea im loving that spellborn art test :) very nice work! and the fat guy on the left is pretty cool too :) gud luck gettin a job ;D ur in the same boat as me i presume hehe.. what uni are you at ?
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Southampton. Alritey, ye that concept page was there to make up the numbers to start with, think it can come down now, or I may intergrate it into other parts.

Cheers for the crits, oh and good luck on the job hunt mate :)

edit - Ah ye I checked out your folio, some damn nice stuff. I'm thinking the prop work is great to have in a graduate portfolio, as I guess that's the kinda thing we would ease into at the start.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I would remove the big fat guy from the left side of the gallery index. Its the first thing you see when you load the site and subconsciously it may make viewers uncomfortable and not like you. I would replace it with the green guys on the right side and leave the right side blank. The spellborn thing is by far the best in my opinion, then the green guys. Like Razorb said, you may want to take out some of the other things.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I get what your saying about the fatty, but the people I will be sending it to will be exposed to imagery like that in the industry. Obviously It may not be appropriate having it there when applying to a dev that deals with kids games for example. Definately one to think about!

Ye think I will take the parts mentioned out before I start applying
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there is not much to take away ;) [would be my crit,- smal selection]
    I noticed that with a smaler browser size (below 1280 width) the page doesn´t get centered
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, ye I know, maybe not take out - more replace. And hmmm, i'll have to ask my housemate who helped me out with the site about the centre issue, thanks
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Well put together site!

I second centering it and swapping the green guy with the fat guy. I would have them facing inwards towards your portfolio as well.

I also notice the background color between your page and the characters on the sides is not quite the same. If all the values for these colors seem correct, try making a 1x1 bg image with the correct color instead of just the color code. I've often done this in the past.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, moved the native's over and hid the fatty away in his thumbnail. Looks a bit less cluttered now which is cool, plus that's one more thing for the viewer to discover I guess :P

Ah ye, will fix the colours.

All I need to do now is finish some more work :)

thanks.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    Alright mate :D

I agree with the removal of orc guy, I think you just dont need him because the quality of your work is so much better since.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    haha cool! I made that exact same ousted house prop when I used to work on spelborn =). I like the roof texture you made for it!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i always look at these things as if i'm looking at them at work, and go on immediate first impressions. And first impressions say "good" . Lots of things jump out as improveable, but working off hard instinct as a way to landing a job, two things are foremost in my mind which haven't been covered :

1 - why haven't you included your cv as a page or a download? Your work is interesting. What people do with "interesting" work, in between dozens of portfolios of crushing mediocrity, is go "hmmmmmm nice" and then click through to find what else is interesting about you, what experience you have , or in your case what course you're on and where, etc. And then they hit a brick wall. Are they going to be bothered to take it further, to send a mail and wait, just to get basic recruitment info? Possibly. But not definitely, oh no, most certainly not definitely. Why challenge them like this? Put your CV up, and keep the "hey, i wouldn't mind hiring this guy" momentum you've done pretty well in building.

2 - you know what the worst work on your site is? The two banners, both the large and small one. They look like they've been resized through a html-authoring package ... but they haven't. What's up with that? Believe me, things like this do matter. ADs seriously obsess over pixels presented at screen-res, they're forced to ... and you might not realise it, but you're turning a lot of people off with some needlessly screwy text.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice 1 Danr, some good advice there and a needed kick up the ass.

Qubism has kindly enough knocked up a version of my site with possible improvements, including the banner's chucked in the bin. It also made clear how simple text changes can make things so much cleaner.
    Got some uni stuff to finish then i'll get on to updating it. i'll post it up soon as it's done.

Hi Uk! and thanks Peris.