Home Technical Talk

Questions about soft selection...

A few things that irk me about this tool because either they don't exist or I don't know how to accomplish them. Just wondering if anyone out there had answers to these questions or a suggestion for a plugin to solve the issue.

First, is there any way to scale a soft selection? I know about pinch and bubble of course, but I often find that these are inadequate to achieve the selection set and falloff that I want. I guess what I am asking is if there is a way to contract a soft selection along a particular local axis.

Second, is it possible to restrict a soft selection based upon face or edge angles? I often find that my selections tend to wrap around to other sections of my model that I do not want to be involved in the selection. Using edge distance hasn't produced the results that I would like to see, and if there is some way to, say, select only faces that are within a 15 degree angle of the original selection for example, would make things much easier.

I know there are other ways to select objects that might fit within the constraints of what I am trying to do , and that both of these are highly situational selection instances, but it just bothers me that soft selection doesn't seem to offer this, that I have been able to find in any case.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess this is Max? There are the Paint Soft Selection tools in Editable Poly, that offers some flexibility. You lose the edge constraint though. There are also the Paint Deformation tools in Editable Poly, might be easier to use for what you want.

To select faces with an angle tolerance, Orionflame has some great selection tools, the latest version is not free but an old version is (not sure though if it had those tools or not). Might try http://www.scriptspot.com.
  • PhatMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, and yes this is for max. I've played with paint selections and deformation too, and I guess I was just dissatisfied with them. They can achieve the results I needed, but I guess I was just hoping for a more time-friendly solution. Oh well, can't shortcut everything :)