Home General Discussion

Differences between Wacom graphics tablets

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vito polycounter lvl 18
Just some notes in case someone searches on this in the future and doesn't want to wade through eighteen bazillion threads.

As of April 2008, Wacom graphics tablets come in three models: Bamboo (formerly Graphire), Intuos3 and Cintiq.

The Bamboo series has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, 2540 lpi resolution, and no pen tilt support. The regular Bamboo is 4x6 and has no eraser pressure-sensitivity, mouse or bundled software, and runs around $70. The Bamboo Fun is either 4x6 or 6x8, does have eraser pressure sensitivity and some software, and run around $90 and $190. The Graphire Wireless is 6x8 and is wireless over Bluetooth (the tablet has a battery that will need to be recharged), and runs around $250.

Commentary in chat and here suggest that with the lower resolution, reduced pressure sensitivity and lack of tilt support, the Bamboo and Graphire tablets aren't suited for professional use.

The Intuos3 series is the professional-level stuff. The resolution doubles, the pressure sensitivity doubles, and it has tilt support. They come in 4x6 all the way up to 12x19, with retail pricing ranging from $200 to $750.

The Cintiq series are $1000 to $2500 LCDs that you can draw directly on. I'm not sure what else needs to be said about that.

I'm just planning on using one for napkin sketches, and I don't care about the bundled apps or using a mouse on my tablet surface, so I just ordered the regular Bamboo.

Commentary on the forums suggest price-conscious artists should look on eBay for used or refurbished Intuos2 and Intuos3 tablets.

Replies