Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'curing colors' uni game project

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
thought I´d create a thread about this project after showing already some screens in the What are you working on thread.

about:
Team project (3 memebers) with the main topic colors. The 3 of us decided to make a game concept or prototype that has a environment and theme build upon the theme colors. What I will post here however is more focused on what I did on this project,- because that´s what I can tell best about.

my task:
- engine programming (flash as3)
- tool pipeline (maxscript)
- and various environment and character modeling, texturing, rendering
... and lots of other stuff that needs to be done in order create a demo at the end

before I start with updates now and then,- first some summary of what I did so far and what I have:

1. technology- or engine:
is basicly a set of camera mapping techiques in Flash with a simplified 3d rendering model. Controls will be just like in old Adventure games requiring only a mouseclick to move/ activate or do whatever, screens are most likely static with only the polygon objects in the engine moving.
All this is done using maxscript and Actionscript (flash scripting) together:
maxscript_editor_01.gif
for that a important task was to copy the camera model from 3dsmax to my engine so that a single object still looks like it exists in the background rendering:
preview.jpgmax_camera2.gif
a demo:
http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashkit/color_dune/demo7/
with some more tricky stuff its thus possible to blend rendering and realtime stuff together like:
depth_tricks_1.jpg
here is another demo with a possible poly count for a characer beeing 300 triangles: http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashkit/color_dune/demo_chardesign2/

2. environment
the earth or planet the main character lives on is called Suvat. It´s a planet where 1 side of it has the whole day night,- and the other part the whole day light because the sun doesn´t rotate around the planet but booth planet and sun rotate around a gravity center.
planet_suvat.jpg
The game starts on the night side of the planet- since the other part is considered to be hazardous. So it´s like night all time at first in the game.

I started already with the first village where it starts,- named 'Rheta'
rheta_progress_05.jpg
the pink path is a maxspline which will be read as vector path in the engine to enable pathfinding (walking automaticly around corners, obstacles,...) and to limit the area one can click/ walk to.
This is what it looks at the moment like:
curing_colors_01.jpg
and
curing_colors_02.jpg
some detail:
curing_colors_04.jpg
(the renderer is mental ray within 3dsmax9)

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    3. characters
    Characters are beeing refined atm. but this was my first sketchy attempt,- to test out what can be done with 300 triangles and to test out some cellshaded anime alike style:
    feng_clr_dune_char_concept2.jpg
    the low poly mesh (300 triangles)
    little_girl_poly_test_01.jpg
    but like I said,- it´s most like that this will change since the other members didn´t liked my design.

4. misc
    this is my last logo draft for the project:
    logo_progression.jpg
    cure or curing because colors are a special way of curing a sick character in the game.

this is quite a lot for the first post so I hope you bear a little bit with me
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this is really cool man, the technical side of this is over my head, but everything is looking awesome. keep it up.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, I really like your environments, and the scripting work is interesting too. Generally nice art and interesting ideas.

I know English isn't your first language, but if some of these images are for a presentation or in-game use in the end, targeted at an English-speaking audience, then you should check the spelling and capitalisation on your Suvat planet text labels... you have some words with capital letters, and some without, for no good reason ... and it should be spelt "Red Forest" and "Unknown Civilisation" :)
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    environment looks great. those last renders are exceptionally good. keep it up
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy a lot of hot stuff.. the technik is great!

are you finished with the climate-project?

and i love the logo and the girl :)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Everything is looking fantastic. The character is really good.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    long delay,
    thx alot guys,- even though I didn´t replied till now your comments really pleased me :)

alot has happend meanwhile, not just rendering and modeling wise, the biggest update however occoured this night with a neat engine update:
    screenshot_r112.jpg
    online demo
    you basicly click on walkable areas and the character moves to it, that´s it for now ;)

some additional guide:
    - a yellow crosshair indicates walkable areas, so if you see it in the cursor you can walk there
    - hit the [d] key for debugging and pathfinding info (switches 3 modes)
    - the keys 1,2,3 switch between the 3 cameras

the texture of the female character is dramaticly compressed in this demo (I wanted to keep this demo below 400 KB [358 KB right now everything including htm files] because she has a PNG file as texture [with alpha channel] ). The next time it will look better.

No clipping objects are included this time,- just the character so dont wonder why she doesn´t disappear or gets clipped at all when moving behind objects- it´s just a flat rendering picture.
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    wow nice work man! that was totally kick ass :D can't wait till you get more done ^^ very nice so far
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    the background graphics are awesome but i hate cell shading and btw the girl's dress is not cell shading. also i don't understand why the girl's poly-count is like Nintendo DS specification while everything else is much higher. and one of the purposes of prerendered backgrounds is so that the realtime models can have much higher poly-counts than full realtime graphics games. also isn't your orbit physics completely impossible? but is it also possible for you to have realistic orbit physics and still have the permanent day night scenario as well? after all, isn't the same side of the moon always facing Earth?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    question. how long did this take?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ViPr wrote: »
    the background graphics are awesome but i hate cell shading and btw the girl's dress is not cell shading. also i don't understand why the girl's poly-count is like Nintendo DS specification while everything else is much higher. and one of the purposes of prerendered backgrounds is so that the realtime models can have much higher poly-counts than full realtime graphics games. also isn't your orbit physics completely impossible? but is it also possible for you to have realistic orbit physics and still have the permanent day night scenario as well? after all, isn't the same side of the moon always facing Earth?

it's based on flash, flash isn't much of a 3d accelerated environment, so i guess thats why the polycount is that low...

and as for the day night thingy, see it as given, it's part of the story doesn't have to be overcomplicated
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    hey there too bad u dont really have explored too different logo ideas.
    id like to see that. also the presentation of the planet and stuff can be
    polished easily by being consistant. go for serifs there maybe.

are u goin to put more shading into the character textures so they
    match the light situation a bit more? or are u going to leave it unshaded
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn cool!
    i love the style on the girlie model, really unique.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    I'm long lime Polycount lurker ;) but I have to post right now.

Game looks great already. You have very nice backgrounds, but I prefer first girl model though.

Are you going to make full game, or just a technical demo/preview? I'd love to play final version, will it be available when you'll finish?

Thanks for technical details. Great work!
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the environment in the scene, very pretty! I gotta admit though... the character on the above Screen just doesn't fit in the scene. I understand that this is based out of flash but it just looks out of place. maybe seeing some more screens would justify it more, but the character seems to be pulling down the rest of the artwork.

Regardless, it looks awesome and it is certainly something to be proud of!

keep it up! I love seeing this stuff!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    the last few images are gorgeous. very nice designs.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool stuff you got going on here mate! Congrats, Loved to see it finished
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Great job man! Running smoothly on my PC. Would love to see progress of this.

What do you use for animation? Key frames, or you have skeleton in the model?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I added a youtube video upload:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Xw3wVcQ88[/ame]
    that covers basically all the engine stages and the final demos I showed here at my university but did not uploaded for technical reasons. You can see some other levels, a 3dsmax viewport capture of my level and some technical views showcasing the pathfinding and depth sorting.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey man,

Just letting you know that here on Safari the online demo does not have the proper look - the girl gets shaded instead of being self illum.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    no he he this time your safari did not fail ;) I linked it with the wrong demo (with baked light) - not sure if that self illuminated one is still online - might change that some time
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lol at the dancing skin test wookie thing..
    i think it looks fantastic, im pretty surprised at the detail you've got going
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome. The pointer Icon is somewhat fallic though... lol.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs, I've been watching this for a while now and think it's simply amazing that you got all of that art and programming done. Not only that but it looks great too. I hope you can upload the whole game in the future so people can play it. Do you have any plans to develop Curing Colors any further maybe into commercial project?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Do you have any plans to develop Curing Colors any further maybe into commercial project?
    I spoke recently with Richard Hilleman from EA (one of the key guys behind the EA sport brands and creator of madden) about it as he mentioned that EA is seeking new lands especially with the Flash platform on the net. So asked him if he would see potential in more complex online games such as adventures in the style of this and some other stuff that is not even yet on my portfolio (but basicly but basicly other impressive game/3d engine stuff).
    I had roughly the same discussion with a guy from Ubisoft the same day but my honestly I do not really want to end up in such a position because the stuff those big companies produce in their web/flash labs is nothing outstanding, in fact its just as boring as the other micro games on the net that I hate so much.

What I want is to work with is a strong and experienced team (not just some webdesigners, anyone can call himself that these days) but actually real animators, modeling artists, concept artists ect. from the gaming industry. In my eyes thus big flash games produced by known or good industry game companies is yet to early - at least for a person like me that does not want to start with a web team something like this.

so depending on who will hire me at the end of this year the answer to your original question might be yes or no.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    This is seriously impressive Render. you've got some great skills man.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know what you mean about working with a good team for a company with some real goals and dreams, it makes all the difference in the world. Good luck with your job search, though I'm sure you won't have much trouble landing somewhere good in this industry :)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    yeah for sure you will hook up with a great team, you are destined for it, even if you create it yourself.

This game looks great! the visuals are so good. But honestly it doesnt look fun at all. like it feels really confined, like 2 steps, wall, 2 steps - oops bump, ok 2 steps no wait this way not that way ect.

I think since you have the look so totally dialed that you should focus on fun more. more interactive fun. especially for a game that is brought to you - on the web. if i load this game in my browser, i can easily just tab back to my gmail account or polycount fast you know... not like when I install a game, im a bit more committed to it. browser games need to be more fun immediately.

my thougts. thanks tho, your work is so visually great!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    count me in.. i want to make such a web-game too :poly142:
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    It looks awesome, but there is 1 thing about the concept that bugs me. The night side of the planet is full of trees and plants, but with no sunlight, there is no photosynthisis, so they couldnt survive. I know I am just nitpicking, and you could say that they are special types of plants that only inhabit this planet, but I dunno, It just kinda bugs me.

Does look really fun though, like one of the last sierra-esque games, (monkey island, ect)
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what i can say @ working whit game companys that do "small" games, for web / iphone / nintendo DS. Well you have a bigger chance to do such a game, in a small company than in a bigger company such as Ubisoft and EA. Probably even bigger chance whit Ubisoft than EA to. But not that big even then. Their more : time based production views. And the Quality gets left out realy. in a smaller house company you have a bigger shot since their more into making the game realy good. than make it realy fast and get it on the market to sell. Thats the "bad" part. usualy u have got less budget, since the bigger companys can afford it. but in the same time bigger bugget means more demands and u have less strings to pull.

it all comes to you, what you want to make and how you want to make a living off it. in sweden its realy eazy to start a company atm. Its eazy to get budget for it to. if u find somebody that sees interest in ur game, u can get them hooked. they just want monthly / every 3 months revisions of how far u are getting , to see that their investment is flourishing. I dont know how it works where you are but id rather say u find ur self some team members by ur self that u know will give it their all and start a own company. Its a far better choice imho. but then again its all upp to you.