Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Year Project

Hi all.

For my final year project for university, i looked at the progression of visual realism in racing games and how developers have gone from games such as pole position in the 1980's to Gran Turismo 5: Prologue in 2008.

So i modelled three cars to show the progress through the generation from all the research i had gathered from various sources regarding polygon limits, hardware limits, modelling techniques, texturing methods, LOD's and other topics i cant remember of the top of my head.

All this research would in the end affect the outcome of the project.

- First model was a low poly ps1 spec model - Polygon limit of 800 (Based on Colin McRae 2.0)

My texturing skills arent great so i used flat colours to replicate what the models would be like.

car_low_poly_fyp.jpg

front_low_poly_wires.jpg

- Second model was a med poly ps2 spec model - Polygon limit of 14,000 (Based on Colin McRae 3).

Again my texturing skills were at fault here so i blended reference images of the car together, which didnt come out great, but were better than my attempts in photoshop.

mid_poly_car.jpg

front_wires_med_poly.jpg

- Third model was aimed towards a ps3 style model - Polygon limit of either 70,000 (Based on Juiced 2 or 200,000 Based on GT5).

Below is the ps3 style model and a revised model (WIP) of it aswell as i werent happy with the outcome of the first model.

First model

brand_new_render_3rd.jpg

3rd_wires.jpg

Revised Model and still work in progress

new_3rd_car.jpg

wires_3d.jpg

Any C&C Welcome.

Cheers.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    as far as I can tell even now no subdevision modeling is used in GranTourismo 5 because it would be a waste of polygons and smoothes alot details that dont need to be smoothed.
    Smart smoothing groups are imo. the way to go.
    The biggest screenshots have rounded corners in the door windows also many details are rounded like a toy car. I´d add some more hard edges to the higher poly models in general.

But nice topic you got there
  • Rico3k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for that, thats why i revised the model that looks like a toy car, as i werent happy with it. Thats the problem i'm improving my modelling and i need to add those hard edges to the models.

Cheers
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I think that the major problem with your initial high poly car (other than the lack of hard edges) is that it's a bit too tall and not wide enough. Your revisited model is much better looking tho, finish it and it could look really cool.
  • Rico3k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i think the reason for the first high poly one, i seperated the blueprints and thats what i think made the model look tall and not wide enough, but i'm pleased with the revision model. As the blueprints stayed as one this time lol.