Home General Discussion

Universal Remotes - recommendations?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Thinking about getting the Logitech Harmony One.
10099158.jpg

Anyone use these toys?

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Was gonna recommend the harmony series. They just seem so damn handy and nice and a way to get rid of a ton of remotes.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I know people who have plunked the cash down for these and love them. Especially for their wives, who are technologically challenged. I've considered getting one, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer if it will control my Dishnetwork box via RF. It just says it can do dishnetwork, but Dish has RF and IR inputs.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My fiance has a tendency to use the volume control for the television and completely ignore the $300 stereo system we have. I am hoping this will nullify that and those speakers get used as they should.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the benefit of the harmony is the ability to add configurations, usually via a computer linkup. Then you can have a button that is set for movie watching, or one that does regular TV, or gaming,.... Then your fiance would just hit, watch TV, and it would turn on all the equipment and the receiver volume would automatically be the default volume control. Channel changing would be assigned to the cable/satellite receiver.

If these things do RF, it would make me very happy. I have a dozen remotes and I'm the only one that seems capable of mastering them all. I have mulitple modes on the TV, my dvd/receiver, my 360 (with media content on the network), and my dish box. My wife understands how to work the dish controller, but that's it. She's just recently started understanding the steps for watching a DVD.

To be honest, the whole electronics industry needs a standard for this shit ;)
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    I have the 360 branded harmony. Changed my life. True story.

Yeah, they're awesome, SO EASY to configure and use. Pressing one button to "Play 360" or "Listen to Music" instead of switching inputs/turning various things on/off.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Buddy of mine has one of the 360 branded logitech ones, absolutely loves it. I've still got a somewhat hodgepodge setup but I plan on getting one of those as well when I get around to organizing my entertainment center.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just bought the Harmony One. Will post a quickie review tonight once I get 'er working.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Another vote for the 360 branded Harmony. Good remote, and it's nice having the extra 360 buttons on it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The Harmony One also has 360 buttons on it (touch screen).
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Holy Crap. $220 for a remote? You guys are some lazy fuckers.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Lazy, or awesome?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he's just jealous of you Adam ;)

So, can you (or anyone else) confirm if it's capable of doing Dish Network's RF controls?