Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: _Gr9yFox_

_Gr9yFox_
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
_Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
Yep, it was time I made a sketchbook.

I started this yesterday. The goal was to make a Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet in less than 500 tris. Still WIP.

sackboy08.jpg

I am not a Sony fanboy and I don't have a PS3 but this game makes me feel warm inside.

Replies

• _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New things going on, still haven't got a good unwrap of Sackboy and I have been getting some new and interesting challenges. Let's make this topic worthy of its name.

The point of this was to recreate a small "set" in a context similar to that of Half-Life 2 (but with bigger textures in this case). It was the first time I made Normal and Specular Maps. I ended up exporting these into Gamebryo and "walked around" in the engine. This must be what having a kid feels like!

maya_scene2.jpg

Then they dared me to redo the textures (all the maps) in a more Team Fortress 2 style. I did that during today while the studios were open (I still don't have CS3 at home and the basis of these textures are the previous files - though in some cases the only thing I used were the UVs and the baked AO). Didn't get them quite as I wanted but at least I got to go through all objects. Lighting was not part of the challenge, it was already there from the other scene.

tf2_style2.jpg
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, cool looking scene so far. i can't give you any real crits on texturing as i have no experience in it, but model wise, i think the proportions between the door and the two objects (the barrel especially) seem to be off. With the size of the door, the barrel should be a lot bigger in my opinion. but that is just an opinion.

anyways, keep on truckin.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wednesday
    helmet_presentation_halfsize.jpg

Thursday
    shield_presentation_halfsize.jpg

Friday
    sword_presentation_halfsize.jpg

(Images at 50% original size to load faster)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    those normal maps are terrible , and you have alot of wasted texture space on that blade , and that would benefit 100% from a highpoly normal map and not a crazybump one , also you could reuse like 50% of those textures and use a 256x128 and still maintain all the detail.
    The shield also the same problem texture wise, but why you gave as much texture space to the part you would be seeing the less ?
    the helmet is also suffering for that.
    I would model highpolys for those and rethink what you did here, right now nothing is even close to beeing considered "mediocre" :(

P.S - slap your instructors for me.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I already asked around about Crazybump normal maps and I got to a few conclusions that will certainly help me the next time I need to do it.

I agree with the blade UV/texture critics, I thought of it as I was doing it but as a 25/minute job I think it's not that bad.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    doing it fast and bad is always bad, better to spend some hours on it then say "hey it was made in little time thats why it is so bad" that will just make you not evolve at all :)