Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

architecture school project (big image)

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
For our architecture class (part of our maths program) I had to design my own "dream" house and build a maquette of it. If I could do it again i'd probably make something more original and less huge (the dimensions of the entire building are 16 metres by 14 metres), but this is what i came up with:
compositemaquettefh2.jpg
Here are the maps:
plattegrondenkleinqa9.jpg

comments 'n stuff welcome :D

Replies

• Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design actually, sometimes simple can really work, and I really like the courtyard. I find it odd there is no garage, but then again maybe your house is out in the country and all you do is ride bikes. I actually would like to see a bigger pic of the floorplan, but from what I see it works in its simplicity. The maquette translates well, are you planning on building this in max or maya?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    I actually have a slightly bigger image of the plans, but imageshack won't updload files that are larger than 1,53 MB :P. I don't think i'll be building it in max... I inteded to do so in the very beginning in stead of making a maquette, but I chose to work with my hands in the time I can ;). (looking back now i'd probably do it digitally next time, stupid cardboard materials :P.)
    No garage is because it's in the country, so you can park your car outside and riding bikes is way cooler, especially since i'm dutch and everybody rides bycicles here :D.
    thanks again!
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    It looks great! I like the way the front looks, lots of simple clean straight lines, and lots of patio room. I bet it was pretty fun to try and make something like this, but can you imagine when they use to have to do this all the time! I bet it makes you appreciate that now all you have to do is go on your computer and boom its done.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir what do you study that has a maths program with architecture, is it a minor? Cool to see some architecture-related things. To be honest I don't like the design at all, it's plain and standard like a catalogue-house, as it appears from your posters now. What I do like are your floorplans, they show some architectural quality, I assume this is the first time you have every drawn something like this?

Firecracker, I think you are blatantly misinformed about that. I study architecture and we make maquettes all the time during the process. Making a virtual model of it is not a valid replacement of maquette which you can hold in your hand and look into.

Japhir, have you seen my architecture project I finished some time ago?
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52896
    It has a maquette too Firecracker :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197: thanks a lot! It was a great experience indeed :D. I wouldn't want to do this all the time though. You're wrong about the maquettes and drawing though as StJoris said, a friend (also classmate) of mine was on an internship at an architectual office and they did everything by hand :D (with rulers etc. ;)). That was a pretty unique office though... Thanks again!

StJoris: I'm not studying yet, I'm still in middle school. (I'm only 18 years old.) I attend the "Vrije School de Berkel" in Zutphen (you might recognise it since you're Dutch). I believe that it's called a Steiner School in English. We do all sorts of creative things such as drawing, sculpting and even welding because they stimulate education on all levels, except for just the knowledge part. (I am going to do final exams for my A-levels this year though, so in that aspect it is a regular school. (A-levels = VWO?))
    I agree about the design, it was a bit boring and unoriginal, but that's probably because i wanted something simple and big :P. I started with drawing the maps, so that might also be a reason why the outside isn't as interesting. You're right about this being my first house design ever, though we did study different houses and styles of architecture. (such as "amsterdamse school" and clasisism and all the neo-... stuff ;)).
    I didn't see your thread yet. Looks great! I guess it's not a house to live in though :P.

Thanks again!

EDIT: StJoris, it also looks like you have some interest in clean environmental designs (looking at your "concept" image). You might want to do a google/youtube search on "earthships", very interesting ways of designing houses that are energy-neutral and don't use water from the system. :D
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    lol when i first looked at the pics i thought it was another sexy vray render ;D but yea nice stuff .. i like the sketches u started off with :)