Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Character Modelling Help Needed for RPG

Jon
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jon polycounter lvl 8
For quite a while now I've been developing a RPG called Legends from the Lost Realms (Legends for short!). When this started I was concentrating on the programming and filled the game with what can only be described as programmer art. Since then things have got more serious and I've gradually replaced the place holder models with others up to release quality. First off I tidied up the buildings and props, before moving on to plants and trees, with the screenshots below (and the other images on the website) giving a good idea of progress.

FS_170408a.jpg
FS_170408b.jpg

So where do I need help? Well I've reached a point where I need to work on the character models. From testing with some 'borrowed' models the game engine can support models with up to about 3000 triangles, although a 'budget' of about 2000 triangles is optimal. Rigging and animating the models is not too much of a problem - I get some interesting 'moon walking' animations occasionally, but nothing that can't be fixed. My real problem is that as a programmer doing art my modelling skills are just about good enough for buildings, are ok for trees, but are really pushed to (or even beyond) the limits when it comes to actually creating character models.

Several times in the past I've looked for either models to work from or tutorials on character models without much luck. As a result I've tended to fallback on the my 'borrowed' models - something that I no longer can do as I plan to release a demo in the not too distant future.

So does anyone know where I can find basic character models (in the 2000 triangles range) that I can adapt or good tutorials for non-artists? Alternatively is there anyone interested in working on character models for Legends (send me a PM if you would like to discuss this further)

Cheers,

Jon.