Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Website

Flewda
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Flewda polycounter lvl 17
Long time no post, but going to try and be a bit more active from now on.

Anyway, finished a website. I plan on eventually doing a completely new design, something I spend more than a couple hours on, but this will have to do for now.

Most of the work on it is over a year old, although there are a couple of newer pieces on there. I plan on updating it more frequently now, and hopefully be able to post some WIPs on the forums as I go.

Thanks for looking.

www.3dpowers.net

cog_chopper1.JPG

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good man, I like the layout a lot (i.e. small description next to the thumbnail, leaving the full page uninterrupted.)

Nice pieces too. Just freshining up? Or are you looking for a job?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    With work as high quality as yours, you don't need a fancy website layout that overpowers it. Very solid looking models.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    *drools*

Amazing work. If at possible, would you be able to post the wires of those weapons (the Tommy Gun and the Mac 10) and a example UV layout? I'm trying to get into the industry once I get out of school, and am thinking about specializing in modeling/texturing, so I'd like to see how the pros do it. Again, amazing work
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    great work josh. that bathroom scene still is my favorite.

dunno if you want any crits on the site, but i think you couldve used a more professional font - and the font of the portfolio pieces titles doesnt go very well with the one in the header. also remove the 3 dots behind 'Artist', they look kinda silly ;)

none the less this is a very solid portfolio :)
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    agree with satan.
    plus why do u do the text as image!?!
    u might aswell make a 4x2 block of images
    leave the text at that point for the sake of a big overview of all.

getting rid of unnessacary images
    folio.jpg

things could look simpler and stuff
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the nice words guys, and the critiqs.

Tumerboy - Right now I am just freshening up. I've been envious of all you guys having great looking portfolio sites online. I want to start doing a lot more personal work, so I figure a good help for inspiration is to get a site up where I feel the need to update it more often.

kaoticvisions - I'll definitely be posting some wires in the next few weeks. And the UV layout. I wanted to get the site up quickly so I could start focusing on newer content, and I forgot the wires/textures and info. Definitely something I plan to do though.

Sa7an & qubism - Thanks for the comments. Qubism, that's a really good idea, and I like what you did a lot better. I think I will try and follow that path soon (Maybe a weekend where I need a break from art) :) Thanks a lot! Also, I plan to redo the bathroom. The layout/concept will be the same, but all of the assets will be updated with more modern techniques (all high poly projections) and the final scene images will be taken in Unreal. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm going to do a low poly/texture on the chopper first, then move onto that.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments & feedback, it's very appreciated.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    google for lightbox btw
    u might wanna use that.
    so u just have to create an overview gallerie and get a screen above
    the site for each piece u have. also can have a group of pictures to click
    through if there are more than one pic to show
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I personally think you don't need the bevels on the facade details on the second floor of the Corner Shop.

I thought the wash basins were built perhaps a little low for normal people to use as well but its not big of a deal...

Overall your texturing and use of geometry's really up to par...I like them.

For your new design....as some prolly have said, you should just use a gallery with thumbnails to acess without the need for sections....people can already tell what you got by looking at them.

Keep us updated.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Josh!

The verticality of it all seems a bit much, but it works. I'd go with qubism's idea.

I'm not a big fan of the sectioned (vague) thumbnails. But again, it's not really a deal breaker. The in Unreal 3 presentation is a nice touch.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I'd say arrange it better, like the bathroom scene first, then corner piece, then lab props, the guns, then other props, then chopper, then tommy gun on bottom, until it is finished

best and most complete on top, not completed on bottom. can't wait to see that chopper textured though, its awesome
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Agreed with the vertical thing. I'd say listen to qub. It definitely is helping me out on my redesign. The lightbox thing or something like it would be great too.