Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Edo Golem W.I.P

Hi there, im new to this forum and thought it would be a good idea to try and put my work across for further evaluation/critisism from a larger audience.

This is probably one of the models that i've actually nearly got completed instead of giving up half way through because I didn't like the near-final product.

renderskd7.jpg

finalrenderab7.jpg

There are 2 * 2048 textures. One for the body and another for the hat/weapon. I "attempted" to rig the model for the final image so that it at least had a decent pose and created the normal map using a mixture of both Mudbox and NVfilter for the smaller details.

All the textures were created using both photoshop filters and handpainting which I was satisfied with as it is my first model where ive not relied on photographs for textures or overlays.

Overall, I must say im happy with the results as I feel it shows that ive at least progressed onto more complex features of modelling (primarily normal/spec mapping).

I am grateful for an opinions that you may have (good or bad). Thank you in advance.

Replies

• stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    You have all but skipped the medium detail on this model. It's good that you are trying to grasp making materials, but all I see is a frumpy gumby model with high frequency detail slapped over it. Your model is very wasteful in both polygon usage and texture maps. It appears to me that you are using no more than a 1024 on the whole thing and the face whcih is all but covered by the hat has more polies than any portion of the model taking up 2-3 times the space.

Keep on working man! you have a ways to go but getting over the shader hump will be a nice step in the right direction.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback stoofoo.

I can see what you mean about the amount of polys designated to the head instead of the rest of the body. I never originally intended for the hat to constantly remain on the head (being used as a detatchable object to the body) however im just a bit confused when you say medium detail.

Do you mean, following a workflow of say:

1) Shaping the foundation of the model,
    2) Designating polygons to appropriate segments of the model to obtain maximum detail.
    3) Adding texture, normal and specular maps to obtain maximum detail?

I may consider reworking the model but do you feel its best for me to consider making an entirely new model and keeping this one as perhaps 'an experiment with shader technology' as it may be one of those scnerarios where its better to start afresh then rework the product.

Again, thank you for your input.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    detail steps work like this:

Large-
    the silhouette.

Medium-
    the major forms within the silhouette. if you were to look at something or someone, and squint your eyes, what would be the major areas of light and dark that would pull through.
    consider not only how light hits the forms, but the value (color bightness/darkness) of the foms

Small-
    anything that you would not be able to see in any crispness from half a block away. :P

A very helpful work flow for a lot of artists is to break your designs down, following these steps.

come up with a cool silhouette, with some cool medium shapes inside to break it up, and then add smaller details, only once you've gotten this far, (everything is subjective however :P) in some cases coming up with small details, might drive medium details- just find what works for you.

and yes, poly distribution is always a good habit to get into. put polygons where they are needed. Of course this is always contextual.