Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character : Civil War - Union Soldier

While I'm buttoning up my last project, I started the model for my next one. An American Civil War Union soldier. I've just got the model blocked out, obviously I'm not trying to reproduce the face from the reference, only the clothing etc. The target is 2000 polys (PS2 / PSP ish detail level) I haven't done any optimization yet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

civilwar01.jpg

Replies

• Eric Wiley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Wiley polycounter lvl 11
    Good start. The first thing I notice is that your reference is more realistic and your model is more stylized. I'm not sure exactly what you are going for, But I would watch your proportions. Make the shoulders wider, right now the hips look wide which gives it more of a feminine look. I would put more polys into the hands. and the feet are too big right now if you are trying to go more realistic. Hope this helps..good luck! Nice start!
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed that this is a good start but there are alot of issues that need fixing before you move on. First and foremost is the silhouette. Turn off the lights (in the scene) and just have a look at the silhoutte. If you don't get a sense of the character just by that alone, the model needs to be reshaped.

Secondly is your mesh flow. Your edges are all jaggedy and perfectly straight in most areas. Because you're modeling a character, and because characters are organic, you need to have smooth flowing lines. No part of the human body is stick straight from any angle, clothed or not.

Keep at 'er