Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starting New Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I've been on these forums for awhile now and sad to say, this is my first post of some actual new work from me. Been busy job hunting but I realize I need to keep my skills up to date, so i decided to start on a new character today. Here's what I've got sofar. What I'm really looking for is critique on the mesh flow, but any other comments are welcome as well. Thanks for looking.

mask3br5.jpg

Updates to follow

Replies

• pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. Just finished the head tonight. Critiques welcome.

facesa0.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    So, you're going patch editing? You got some stars there, but I guess that's not too important.. I would suggest working on the chin a bit, are you using any concept art?

The dimple over the middle of the top of the lips should go up to the start of the nose, not just half way there. Which btw, you didn't really have to model in, you could leave it flat or use less polies and then just normal map it (if you are going to use normal maps).
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    It's getting there, but id revise these areas:

-The nose is too pinchy in the center
    -Lips are too thin and sharp/bottom lip is too flat
    -chin is too pinchy in the center (edges too close together)
    -improve skull shape
    -ears look tacked on
    -loop of nasolabial fold isnt placed correctly

Some of your areas are too dense, keep it simple. Focus on nailing the basic planes/proportions of the head first. Over time you can make the loops more detailed.

example of loops (doesnt mean they are perfect but they are simple):
    http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3530/expressgw3.gif

reference of skull and face muscles:
    http://img345.imageshack.us/my.php?image=headbonesmusclesqz2.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for all the feedback sofar guys, very helpful. I will definitely keep all that in mind as I'm reworking this guy.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So an update to this thread 5 months later, lol. I'm having some lighting issues (among some others i'm probably not seeing right now after staring at this model for weeks, lol) - not sure how to light this to make the model pop.

wiresny8.jpg

frankgk4.jpg

So if there's any tips you guys can give on lighting - or hell, anything at all, really - I'd appreciate it alot. Thanks in advance!