Home Technical Talk

Unreal 3 shiney shader problems!

easterislandnick
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
Hi, Is any one else as foxed by the material editor in Unreal 3 as I am? I'm trying to make a silver fire extinguisher, essentially a silver reflection cube map with an alpha mapped grime texture over the top of it. Should be pretty easy but I have a cube mapped reflection and a grime texture with an alpha channel but I don't know how to combine the two, any ideas?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'd use a linear interpolate to combine the two

The easiest way to learn about this sort of thing is to look at another shader that does what you want. Have a look through the shaders in the existing UT3 or GOW levels.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, Is any one else as foxed by the material editor in Unreal 3 as I am? I'm trying to make a silver fire extinguisher, essentially a silver reflection cube map with an alpha mapped grime texture over the top of it. Should be pretty easy but I have a cube mapped reflection and a grime texture with an alpha channel but I don't know how to combine the two, any ideas?

Have you tried using a LERP? I think that will do what you want it to.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just FYI, LERP means Linear Interpolation.

I'm not familiar with UE3, but typically you want to multiply your cubemap by a fresnel falloff, and add this to your diffuse.