Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Mighty Pea

hey guys, I'm just quickly dropping by to dump some (in some cases: extremely) quick sketches. Ranging from 2 minutes to an hour, I'd say.
I very much want your ideas on these, as long as these take into account that these are what they are: sketches. I especially welcome paintovers!

2393054494_7a3b864224_o.jpg
2392222649_fb2d8cbc27_o.jpg
2393057808_7bbf38b9f5_o.jpg
2393059190_2318d3dd86_o.jpg
2393060224_6829b1b5a3_o.jpg
2393061860_7a9f47885c_o.jpg
2392229437_5184e0a387_o.jpg
2392229829_dbf448c1f7_o.jpg

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

Anyway, here's some finished stuff I might not have posted here yet:
    blobbydragonhead.jpg

demon_wusik.jpg

On that last one I need to move the guy away from the synth since his hand is inside of it. Something that is not traditionally possible, unless when possesing incorporeal abilities. He is a demon, so who knows?
    On the first one I got the comment that his tentacles should get some highlights, as well as the comment that the tentacles are really nice, being so unshaded. It's about 50/50. How helpful, right?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really took some of your previous comments to heart, and here are the results of that:

2407550079_e1f2168cbd.jpg

As you can tell, Billies comments on a gross abuse of colour were especially helpful in establishing the direction for this latest warmup. Also, Arthur's suggestion that I make something vaguely resembling a bird. Enjoy the bird, buddy!

And then some sort of (again, vague) test-tube sort of guy.

2407549919_507a5ab0f8_o.jpg
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I'm going to hang out in your sketchbook. I like it. Finish the 3d?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you need to lay off the herbs pea.. i mean. that's the only explanation for your skecthes..
    lol
    love the bird .loolo
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    finish something!!!!!!!
    i like that last one =)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitmap: The Basil is innocent!
    Also, how soon is soon? Finish your website, already.
    Dur: Will do! I actually did some more on it already, I might update the picture later. I had to start over on the entire thing due to Silo beta-weirdness, so I was 'less than enthusiastic' to finish it before, but now I'm really enjoying it again. I dislike some parts of it, but I just want to get to the texturing, to be honest.
    Peris: I would, but these are all mostly warmups. There's the option of using them for a finished picture later, but not anytime soon :)
    I like the last one as well, incidentally. I'm planning on doodling over the top of it some, but that's not a promise. It's rough enough to be suitable as a base for another doodle though, so who knows...

For those who enjoyed my brushes last time I posted them, I've been making a lot of new ones. If there's enough interest I'll see about getting them uploaded, as well as my errr. tool presets? What does PS call those things again?

I also realise it's hard to comment on such rough sketches, but I'll do my best to post some step-by-step gifs to make it more useful to you guys.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris: Look what you made me do. I hope you're happy.
    2944180056_397b32ea96_b.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    cool swooshy and fresh stuff!
    i like the hint of the face in this one: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2088/2393061860_7a9f47885c_o.jpg
    would be cool to see some more fleshed out stuff as well.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »

2407549919_507a5ab0f8_o.jpg

I reeeeeeeally like this
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: thanks! Did you see the updated version? It's lost some of the quick and dirty appeal (to me), but I liked making it.
    If you like, I could upload a new version of my brushes, as I used a few new ones in there that are really nice to work with. Especially the one I used for the angular bits in there, it's great for finding patterns when you're just doodling.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I reeeeeeeally like this

+1 nice fresh appeal

Having a look at your brushes would be interesting Mightypea, your previous bunch is what got me interested in making my own set in the first place :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3060441157_b782a36b0f.jpg?v=0

Painttool Sai is niiice.

About my brushes: I think I've still got some webspace on eq's server, I'll try and get them on there in the next few days. I managed to lose quite a few, though, thanks to photoshop crashing and resetting everything. Photoshop never crashes!

It more than makes up for that by doing it properly when it does, it seems
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the sketch of the creature (4th pic down).
    coool!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3071693239_b994737def.jpg?v=0

Still loving Painttool Sai. I'll be sad when my trial's up, but I'll buy it as soon as I can.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good pea, Ive been wondering wether to invest in some sai goodness too :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My mind's made up! I don't want to splurge on Painter, all the more so because I don't really like working in it as much as Sai, and Sai's a lot easier on the system, as well!
  • Michael Knubben
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just posting some stuff from the past few days, fooling around in Mypaint 8

4382650057_61b2925d95_b.jpg
    (edit: I should mention, this next one used a photograph as a base for the perspective. I couldn't have done this anywhere near as quickly without that crutch. Oh, my poor deteriorated perspective skills!)
    4383410744_f00c1ee30e_o.png
    4383410564_aa9cb5a6b5.jpg
    4382650827_1422ca1d08_b.jpg
    And then, a large, incomprehensible sheet of scribblings related to a map I'm planning to make.
    4382649803_3091d986aa_b.jpg
    Something I've posted before, but not in here:
    4342259002_fdaafb040a_b.jpg
    I'm also not terribly pleased with it. It's something that I started from a simple base (to learn the finer points of making characters in zbrush), and then fought all the way, as my lack of planning just made it bland.
    Did I ever post this here? I didn't think so, so here it is:
    3719608933_cd46929cdf_b.jpg