Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook:Kanible

Heres me stuff, crits welcomed

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to polycount!

Most people either upload the images to their personal site and link to them or they use free image hosting such as imageshack or youtube. Since you'll be looking for a job at some point it might be a good idea to start working on a site now, it can be really helpful. If you're interested in doing RTS units, go ahead and do them, don't wait for it to be covered in class. I'll be honest (and sound like a dick), the first few you do, probably won't land you a job. Jobs are not in the future of people who only create content for class projects. It takes doing it more then a few times to get good. It's pretty easy to spot a fresh out of school portfolio. Normally they talk big, think they've accomplished a lot, and don't delivery anywhere near the quality they claim.

If I sound a little jaded against game art schools, its because I am. I've had to sit through interviews with recent graduates from various local schools and I saw pretty much the same things, crap just in slightly different forms. If you want to stand out from the pack you'll need to outshine your classmates. PLEASE don't fall into the idea that because you're in a program that it means a job at the end. It still takes talent and great art in your portfolio to land a job, school is an opportunity to hone those skills that are already there.

If you're interested in creating content for RTS games, know that you'll be creating A LOT of units in a pretty short amount of time. How do get really good at creating quality units in a short amount of time? Practice, and lots of it, much more then just classroom assignments. I would also encourage you to open yourself to more of the job market by doing a wider variety of projects. Creating models isn't that different from game to game, you just need to learn the restrictions and how to get models in game, but the process up to that point is pretty much the same.

I don't know too many FREE, quality, art related, forums that offer image hosting. Thats a bandwidth bill I wouldn't want look at let alone pay...
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the reply vig, I'll put your words to use. and its not that im waiting for a class to support my interests, if thats what it came off as, just that I've been focusing more on what I needed to do rather than what I wanted to do, thats usually done during my breaks. I'll get images up later today
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These pictures are really old, just gonna keep em up so people can compare. this is a few months into my schooling, the newest are a few months away from my graduation

l_85667cf92ec352f0494d056fd184e648.jpgl_271f0f5ff6b83b1278be3d9f163aee9e.jpgl_a0018efd74772460ea31ca80c7d9a210.jpg
    One thing im never certain on is just how many polys it takes to make an RTS unit, I've referenced off Command& Conquer, Act of War and Warcraft 3 as best as I can but I just cant get a good visual of their units' wireframes. if anyone has a link or something please lemme know
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a Starship Troopers themed environment I modeled for school a couple weeks ago
    l_1a575c231ad99c5e284e79ad16750511.jpg
    a closeup of the guard tower detail
    l_7af7f37ff64aa865a44fbe1b0e517a26.jpg
    and a low poly arachnid bug I made for grins. could be for a SST RTS. hmm.
    l_022072f02ea51c88b53f3c13e0af699f.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l_6b3eed45f5550b4ddc36a182ff2be223.jpg
    Character heads aren't my forte but I am working on it
  • GsKanible
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l_cf2e00ed177af07723c1ee2eb1ad4b0f.jpg
    The treads are higher poly because it was originally a lofted object to support an animated texture for class. I hadnt reduced it when I made these renders
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/George/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-11.jpg[/IMG]
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    seems like you are just making meshes, try to finish stuff before you start with the next thing, or are you not going to texture these?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what polycount are these meshes? what are they for? a mod? it would be great to see them textured.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    You said you'd like to focus on RTS games, so I'm assuming that some of these meshes you've made are for that genre. The poly density is nice and low, but my one major complaint is that they're not every consistent. For example the tank - you've used polys to bevel the armor on the bottom yet areas retain hard edges. If the camera is going close enough to the tank to justify fine detail like that, such detail should be consistent all over the tank. If not, get rid of those bevels and save those polys.

Another thing, I think you may need to consider your silhouettes a bit more. Avoid perfect 90 degree angles in all 3 axises (now that I think about it, what IS the plural for "axis" ? Axises? Axi? Axes ... no that just looks like the thing you use to chop wood) props, or they will retain a very box-like shape that looks like you started with a cube and extruded.

Also, the wireframes you provided aren't too clear, but I spot some areas where you could optimize the meshflow and save more polys. In short, the meshes look like animator-style meshes. This is in regard to your vehicles. While your edge loops are easier to follow as a result, you might want to consider pinching your polys if they wrap around the entire model and only contribute shape to one side of the model's silhouette. After all, for the more popular game engines, one tri is better than 10 unneccesary quads.

Last thing - this is more of a question - what 3D program does AI of Fort Lauderdale use? I just graduated from AI of Vancouver last month and I feel kinda jipped that we didn't get any training in 3DS Max. We used Maya the whole way through.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies everyone, to answer them down the list,

yes RTS games are what I'd like to focus on, but I have no guidelines to follow as far as how RTS models are made, other than looking at the models as best as possible in game. the orca bomber and mammoth tank I modelled wasnt initially for RTS purposes, and I agree could use maintenance to rid a few polys.

For the low poly models at the bottom, I actually didnt plan on texturing them because I made those all in about 5 hours, the two vehicles included (not the command&conquer ones). they were really just something for me to use to ask people if I am on the right track for RTS style units. as I stated in the caption, I've referenced off multiple games, yet all of them have a significant variety of polycounts The units in Warcraft3 are very low poly and their animations reflect it, however the infantry in Act of War are quite amazing, they have a much wider variety of smooth animations which I am very attracted to, but I can't see how many polys they used to pull it off. Until I gain an understanding and a style I'm comfortable with, im not gonna bother texturing a poorly made model. the low poly vehicles actually turned out good tho, I might clean them up and texture them

plural of axis is axes (axe-ease) from what I read

I actually am looking into making a mod using the Warcraft 3 engine, I am researching what programs are needed to do that,

and the programs we're being taught with at AiFL is 3dmax, XSI, Zbrush, and Unreal 2004 Editor. I'm teaching myself how to use the Warcraft3 World editor though, to use in my graduation demo reel hopfully. We have Maya but thats for animation students.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l_07106ee3a808ee5a59e3f18993f71ab1.jpg

Ah thats better. I tried posting this concept up a few days ago but it failed. anyhow this is my concept for my Zbrush class, we're only 3 weeks in but im already thinkin about my finals. Im debating which hairstyle to give him, short n ruffled or ponytail with banes? any suggestions / crits are always welcome
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    stoofoo seems to have some RTS experience http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50742&highlight=empire+earth+2
    maybe ask him some questions about polycount and texture resolution? do some searches for RTS stuff on here you might find some more.

found this with a search on google maybe you already have it but it seems a good source of warcraft 3 modelling information http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=282&order=desc

I should imagine that as a guess most new RTS games have 500-2000 tris per unit depending on how big, important or complex the unit is and probably 512x512 maps on most models.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah Thehiveworkshop.com. ya i have that bookmarked lol thats where im getting my tools to import models into the warcraft3 engine. I actually have downloaded a character from there to get an idea, but it wasnt what I had expected. each piece, shoulders arms hands legs, etc, was all modeled individually and not even connected. good for dodging stretches but not my style. left holes in the joints.

I do have to thank you for the link to stoofoo's page, I already requested his expertise :)
  • Swisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey George, I really like your bottom concept with the short hair. The only thing I would add is to push the concept further. I would ask what makes this knight different from any other knight? Just to add some dynamic characteristic to the character. I like the half tabard idea, thats a great start.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    posted this in the low poly section, but wanted to know what you guys think about it. its for the Warcraft 3 mod I mentioned before, based on starship troopersl_a0c4b133a8ede283fc67fd7c5f705ffd.jpg
    Engineer Sniper Soldier Medic
    920 tris 842 tris 972-1078tris* 1002 tris

*The soldier has two weapon choices it can be upgraded with, assault rifle w/ shotgun or a grenade launcher
    And the Medic is female to explain her smaller size and physique
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireframe mode
    l_2a46feb72d47bcd232cfa7aa692a4885.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a very long time since I've last posted anything, but I've been a little busy with things, anyways, started a model of Nick Frost, looks like a good character to Zbrush, tell me what you think l_51295afc80e74fb6ac4f3eeb69664a8b.jpg

Not making any promises lol but I'll try and keep this sketchbook updated

• GsKanible
  • GsKanible
  • GsKanible
  • GsKanible
  • GsKanible
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished taking an art test, here's the 2 objects I had to model
    first was this chair, based off a reference, 160-170k polys
    l_95f08c7102474c44b7c1455b7dbdd202.jpg l_69a8fd10b8f6460aa85d3f52754c3412.jpg
    Second was a jukebox of my choice, B.Y.O.R (bring your own references)
    1941 Wurlitzer-780, 32k-40k polys
    l_cb9154021b5e4de58aefccff6b33aaaf.jpg l_88ee983e5cd1494db0b36786b7652f6d.jpgl_e293e7dfc85d478ba5f71e02965304c7.jpg
    PS if anyone actually does see this, I am not a rendering guy, and never used shaders up until now (the 3dmax2009 architectual design default templates) If anyone has suggestions on how to make those bright white spots go away, I'd appreciate any tips :)

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=78668984&albumID=1761205&imageID=42976145
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bleh. uploading .gif file failed. if anyone reads this think they could help me out here? I got an animated .gif im trying to post.

But. not to make this a complete waste. here's my remodeled space marinel_43d1d67ea1324ae0b817c86623ab7a50.jpg
    Yes. it is Deebo Or, at least its supposed to resemble him abit
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So a year later I find my little 3d niche and in 11 weeks, learned zbrush from the ground up, created 3 characters, and enough after effects to finish the job. I want to focus in this more and could use professional critiques. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-l4mCxCAM[/ame]

my next project is going to be another attempt at Warhammer 40K material, and characters a friend has concepted.