Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Sage

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Decided to start up a sketch and progress thread. Feel free to leave feedback, since I find it helpful.

Here is a dungeon environment I have had in my head for a few months now. I decided to do a sketch to see what was on my mind. I decided to do this based on a sculpture project I did for school back in 99. Planning on making an unreal ed scene out of this. so the scene consists of a prison cell, exist, torture pit inspired by Silent Hill (movie).

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

dung_env01.jpg

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Lamenter sketch. Something for sculpting later this week.

lamenter.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top right reminds me of a beginning level in Unreal2. Cool stuff keep at it =)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Vig. Here is a quick sketch for and sci fi enviornment. I also practiced shading and figured out how to make a pencil brush and charcoal brush.

scifi_hall_env01.jpg

Alex
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Somethings I like to draw. This is sort of the "style" I like to draw in, I just find it fun. I don't know why. :) Citadel shape inspired by the Warhammer online concept of the crypt. Little dude inspired me to make the bigger dude. Random scribbles for texture ideas. Later.

Alex

cyborg.jpg

temple_dude.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It's been awhile. Here is some stuff I came up with and plan to make.

Some guns I like, I'll probably make the top one for sure.

3guns.jpg

cute mech design. Mechy.

mechy.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Idea for a frog mech.

frog_mech.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks a little bit like a turtle cause of the "shell". dunno how to make joints for a frog mech.. frogs are so stretchy. hmm. maybe cover the joints with cloth material so it'll look all saggy.. like a toad. maybe even incorporate some zeppelin stuffs.. powered by zeppelin power.. what I mean by zeppelin is those huge balloon things.. so basically they get inflated in order to move the toad. likse muscles. heh. just a few crazy ideas.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah he does look like a turtle, but that's because of my awesome painting skills in photoshop. :D he is missing a neck sort of. If I can't make him look more like a frog I guess I'll call him turtle mech. LOL Thanks for the feedback Kawe. I like that membrane idea it should look interesting it sort of crossed my mind but I dismissed it pretty quickly.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    If you're gonna make a frog mech, keep it truer to a frog's design.
    A frog mech just doesn't seem to work when segmented like your's is (Mobility wise) I like how it looks, however the locomotion part just doesn't work as fluidly as a frog should (however, if that doesn't bother you at all, disregard what i say) What i suggest is experimenting with other material types, maybe some sort of rubbery material, something stretchy.
    I donno, i'm prbly full of shit though
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Another take on the frog mech. I'm mostly practicing my painting skills with this..

The actual joints were just covered with some armor in the first design. I'll probably try and create a material that looks like chain mail for the more bendy parts. I kept the body of a frog in mind for this one. I'll probably do a pass that will show of the different materials more. I'm liking this one better. It's a bit blurry though since I enlarged it.

Thanks for the feedback Jimmies_the_squirrel

frog_mech01.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Working on my jail from the modular design contest. I decided to finish it before I do anything else. I'm not to happy with the bricks since they don't look to me like the ones on the jail ref. I'm testing the normal map in the shot to see how it would look. I was wondering if just making it be similar was good enough. There is a darker picture I have of the jail which is what I'm going for. It's seems a bit noisey right now as well. I'm thinking of texturing this more like a would an RTS building and sculpt up the stone work as best I can then make a diffuse based on that. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

ref and how I'm breaking it.

plan.jpg

jail.jpg

jail02.jpg

jail_t01.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Oh god. There's too much "next-gen" on that texture.. next-gen as in looking too busy with all the contrast going on. I don't think I could ever get those white reflections on rock irl even if I painted it white first :)

So I think you should kill the spec map a little by making it less contrasty. Tbh I have no idea what I'm talking about cause somehow all my spec maps turn out like crap.. but I think that's the problem here.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh yeah I was messing around with the maps last night. I think I messed up when matching the diffuse and normals on the new maps, but I like it better. I'll investigate further. Here is an update to the stuff. Just testing things out.

Kawe yeah the white on the spec sort of bugged me as well but I think the problem was that the normal map was way to noisey. Thanks for the feedback.

Adam thanks for the tips to improve the normals. I think the new map looks better but I'm going to see if I can push it a bit more.

Let me know what you think.

Material test

jail03.jpg

Material update.

jail_t02.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks a lot better. how did you fix the normals? :D
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I remade the height map based off the diffuse. I took the diffuse, and did a hi pass in photoshop until it looked even. It sort of reminded me of a blue channel of a normal map. Then I faded that those to luminosity. Ran levels to get the contrast I wanted. Then I went in and made all the greys more less even to what I thought was supposed to be higher. I made the grout almost black. I had to do it twice since I forgot to save when i went to process and the nvidia filter crashed photoshop. The second go was faster though. Made the grout almost black and kept that on a separate layer. I blured one version to try and get the big detail and had to fix seams because guassian blur causes them, sucks balls. I put the dividers (black lines of the grout back in and those were sharp. I think I ended using 9x9 sample as the filter in the nividia filter and 12 as the push value. For the small detail I ended using 3 as the push value, 9x9 sample. It was noisey and I lowered the opacity. and set it to overly. I did a levels on both doing what I learned from the Eat 3d videos. :D I also made a new diffuse and spec map.

Hah ahha. I noticed I posted the wrong textures. LOL Fixed.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quick paint doodle.

toad.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    A little practice. Let me know what you think. Thanks

herald.jpg