Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kup pan cegle(wip)

Im restarting the thread with new login to avoid confusion. My old login doesn't work and on top of that it seems new forum doesn't support polish letters in username, groovy.

Hell I wanted this login in the first place so no big deal.

Anyway, moving foward with this char. Now boots + belt need sculpting and I guess ill add something. So far goldchain is on the list. Some pores on the skin also.

By the way anyone knows it is possible to get dithering of background gradients in Z3? The steps of shading are kinda annoying.

kpc_wip_B_1.jpg
kpc_wip_B_2.jpg
kpc_wip_B_3.jpg

Replies

• vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    beautiful! cant crit anything, sorry. really nice work. I like
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice work man.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I am glad he is standing still I am afraid if he moves he will pop a blood vessel. Just messing, your character looks great, feels very realistic with extreme amounts of detail.
    How long have you been working on him?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Great piece, the one thing that stands out though is the bicep. It lacks enough form at the moment and is a bit.. well, sausage like. *Possibly* too short but the transition of it into the forearm just needs another look at. Like wise the Brachialis seems over worked giving it an odd balloon look in the first shot at least.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Great, love the detailing and anatomy.
    He looks strange in the sideview, like hes kinda fat, he doesnt look like that from the front.
  • hjd_uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome.
    Veins are a bit big - looks like he's on Venom :).
    Can't wait to see more, any chance of a closer look at his face/head?
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Dang this guy looks like he'd kick Chuck Liddell's ass with one hand tied behind his back. Nice.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the face zoom. It still needs another subdivision pass. So far upper body is still only 1,2 million. His veins appeared stronger than they realy are. Here is viewport preview without cavity or smooth shadows and different material. They are much smoother.

I do feel something is a bit off with his biceps, im lacking decent reference without someone flexing in a pose. Ill look around later and see what I can find.

He is supposed to have strong abdomen non flat area from sideview. Think Mickey Rourke in Sincity. Its not really fat on his belly, some guys are simply built that way.

kpc_wip_B_4.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    totaly awesome, love the hint of stomach muscles under the shirt. and he doesnt look fat at all to me, looks like a brick house
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    hmm not sure but i think the angle is off. it`s pointing downwards a bit too much. also looks pumped, like he is just coming from the gym. still it`s fantastic.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    He's kind of shin-less but looks great anyways...the top folds are pretty authentic.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    sorry , but for me there's too much wrinkless on the clothes, ...nice work; anyway.

http://www.swoma.user.icpnet.pl/wip/kpc_wip_B_2.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I agree diZzyWalnut thats it a bit overworked.
    not enough big forms , too many micro details. Still a great piece, but the silhouette needs breaking up a little.
    The folds in the trousers are too thin I think.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty then, fixed biceps and tweaked clothes a bit, mostly back side. Highrez is done. Sure as usual someone might not like something but Im tired of modeling him and want to move to lowrez.

Watch will be the tricky part. I think it will have to be seperate object. It will eat some polies I guess. The teeth im not sure, if its better to do them on plane with alpha or as full 3d jaw shape.

kpc_hz_1.jpg
    kpc_hz_2.jpg
    kpc_hz_3.jpg
    kpc_hz_4.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The arms look straight outta Street Fighter 3. Follow the Bobo rule and add packs and stuff to him!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    lookin flash brother.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, only crit would be the bicep area, as someone already pointed out.
  • FactoriesBurning
    great attention to detail here. great work.

you might want to pull out the areas between the wrinkles in the palms a little bit. right now they are reading more as scratches on a flat surface instead of the divisions between muscle masses/fat pads. facial detail looks great (he reminds me of the late jazz drummer Buddy Rich). the arms are a bit lumpy in terms of form. maybe smooth out the areas at the apex of muscle curves to show the taughtness of the skin.

great work, keep it up.
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thats awesome!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus thats some high calibur work. The level of detail is insane! any fancy workflow tricks for how your computer isnt exploding into little bits trying to process the whole model? like how big are the chunks that you have unhidden to sculpt on?
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well nothing special really. My computer is dated: 2,5ghz dualcore +4gb of ram.

Things I do is:
    - turn shadows off, these are the biggest resource hog
    - disable UVs, saves memory
    - use masks, at last level for upper body that is a single mesh at 5 milion, I seperated eyes area, mouth and so on for smooth workflow
    - use lazy mouse to avoid bumps

Thats about it I guess. Oh and patience ;).
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    hjd_uk wrote: »
    Awesome.
    Veins are a bit big - looks like he's on Venom :).

HAHAHA, I love that quote!! ... If I'm understanding it the way its meant to be taken, that is.

Ok the model. Very nice. The detail is so sharp, and fine, its awesome. How is your computer not crashing from such a high-poly sculpt?!?! Or maybe mine's just crap. Aside from what's already mentioned, I have to say this is a *very* high quality piece of work. I dunno what brushes you're using for skin pore textures but you MUST tell me where to get them!
  • hjd_uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to say this is looking ace, the details on the face in particular are excellent. Keep it up!
    I want to see this guy in action :)
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing him. He is 8,5k triangles. 2k texture.

Scene is 5 point lights + phong shader. Two versions here. One with SSS overlayed on top of the phong shader so that it only adds some red stuff, but shader stays the same. One click solution and also it is closer to realtime SSS without using any kind of mumbo jumbo multilayered shader.

kpc_wip_c_2.jpg
    kpc_wip_c_1.jpg
  • Johan Carlsson
    Looking really sweet man! Ain't got anything else to say ;P Just great job!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Comeplete badassery. Lots of people try to do these types of characters, few succeed as much as you have here though.
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quality. Pure quality.

I'm curious, how much time have you put into this model thus far?
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not tracking time so I don't know. Anyway, update:
    kpc_wip_D_1.jpg
    kpc_wip_D_2.jpg
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Dude, it looks friggin rad.

Couple questions on your workflow:

EDIT

glanced through the first page, you already answered my questions

/EDIT

I do have another question though-- how in the hell do you get that much detail out of a 5mil poly sculpt?! My current project is at 7.5million polygons at highest rez and I still get jaggies here and there. I guess it's just polygon optimization, huh?

Also, when you said you separated the mouth and nose and stuff, did you mean you simply masked them off (hid the rest), or was each its own subtool?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but like I said, I'm just trying to learn :)

Thanks in advance, and again, that's some awesome work you got going on there.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I said 5 milion for upper body. Whole model is 8,5 milion quads. So most polies go for skin. How do I get no jaggies, well actually there are some on the pants (pockets and such). But polygon distribution is not even. I got a little bit more polies on the face and hands where they are really needed.

So when face upper body has 5 milion, pants have lets say 1 and on top of that face gets the most dense mesh, it easyly allowed me to put all the pores and stuff.
    There could be also other thing. You might have heavy beveling on base mesh and burning pollies that way.
    I used masking to simply hide stuff. Whole upper body is a single mesh. I ain't hardcore enough to try to glue seperate parts together. As anything automatic Im expecting that to be epic fail anyway.

Base mesh: http://www.swoma.user.icpnet.pl/wip/kpc_base.jpg (belt and bling bling was of course added seperately later, but their base meshes are scattered all over the place because as usual i have mess in my folders)

@ pangarang - I forgot about your questions. Pore alphas are sand or concrete scans with small or big spots, high pass filter in photoshop and that's it. Of course several layers of them and put in the "right" spots but as far as alpha maps nothing fancy.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    awesome-- thanks for the info. After seeing your wires and answers, I see now that I follow a similar workflow, in adding polys where needed for details (face, hands, etc). I asked if you glued stuff together only because I've seen that method a couple times before, and yet you've achieved similar results in the amount of details with one solid mesh.

Thanks for the info,

and again, awesome job!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    slick!.. but you don´t need all the stuff
    you put into the highpoly now ...