Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samus Aran for UT3

Gilbert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gilbert polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys, long time no see.

Today I released my 23rd plugin player model! It's Metroid's Samus Aran for Unreal Tournament 3 and she's available for both PC and PS3.

Check it out!

http://alcor.planetquake.gamespy.com/

Let me know what you think.

samusshot13b.jpg
samusshot03b.jpg
samusshot02b.jpg

Gilbert "Alcor" Arcand

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Could you post the picture here? It's better form than having people click through to your website, and go through a splash page, and so on.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Holy moly! It's Alcor!!

Cool man. I might actually play UT3, now.
    I like my women wearin helmets.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    How about posting a picture here instead of linking to your resume (?).

It looks quite nice however :) (damn I want the custom emoticons back)

Edit: too late :(
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the armor is great, but god damn that face, she's from hell!
    i think the phototextured face doesn't fit that super stylized clean armor not at all, so i'd pimp the armor or do a more stylized version of the head, either way, she's looking evil psychic.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i clicked the link, then clicked like 3 or 4 more times, then my attention was lost
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    .. wow look who's back. I loved your models for UT99, still have them on a ut resource disk.

Not a bad samus. I agree on the face commentary, but otherwise true to the character.
    Personally I'd like to see the armor be less plastic looking, but that is consistent with the existing art.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    ALCOR!! The man of thousands ppms. So cool to see you around!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    This is you, no? :) Congrats. Seems people took notice. Your Samus made a headline today on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/376181/samus-unreal-tournament-iiis-newest-contender

Oh yeah and the first comment on the article..."Wheres my Snake mod?"...Pior I think they're looking at you.
  • Gilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey, so a few people remember me, that's cool. Yes I've been absent for a while since I got my job at Ubi. As you may have noticed, I kept true to my style by adding a few crazy custom animations here and there. Did you try to crouch in third person?

Now I'm gonna try to survive the PS3 version. Some people beleives I'll get sued by Nintendo but between you and me, there's NO WAY I'll ever get contacted by Nintendo. Oh wait, somebody knocks on my door... that MUST be Miyamoto intending to beat me up with a wiimote. :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    great model Alcor! Does she remove her armor when she does the winning taunt ;)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Such an incredible model! I love how you used vertex hard edges instead of normalmaps to define sharp mechanical armor pieces. It might sound low-tech on paper but when your samus stands next to stock UT3 characters she is so much sharper and believable!

Your Red paintjob is a thing of beauty. Couldn't resist, took a few screens using the ActionCam and UT2D mods!

samusut3_alcor_small-1.jpg

Side note - I installed the UT3 1.2 patch for her to work, but now my secondary fire doesn't work anymore (even if I uninstal Samus, hence she's not the cause). Do you experience the same issue?
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    Such an incredible model! I love how you used vertex hard edges instead of normalmaps to define sharp mechanical armor pieces. It might sound low-tech on paper but when your samus stands next to stock UT3 characters she is so much sharper and believable!

Y

so you actually modelled all the detail? whats the polycount? would love to see a wireframe!

good stuff
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Poir is spot on, people tend to foget that normal maps are basicly a cheat to give the illusion of higher poly. With the graphics hardware today I doubt it will be long before normal maps are simply used to add the tiny details like pores and wrinkles in skin. Solid model, looks hot in game as Pior said, nice work.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah definitely looking hot as hell in pior's screenies, great job dude !
  • Gilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys, sorry for the late response. Nice screenshots Pior, thanks. Yeah I kinda like to define details with neat smoothing groups, then sometimes just adding a small normal map line right across the uv to help emboss the whole thing.

The polycount is about 6000 triangles. I'll see about making a wireframe picture for you guys.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    love the character, the armour is crispy mmmmmmm.

i would ask her to keep the helmet on in bed though
  • Gilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i would ask her to keep the helmet on in bed though

Why do you say that to me? Is this funny for you? How do you think this makes me feel? What's the point, do you really beleive I'll keep posting my stuff on this forum if I keep hearing those nasty pointless comments?

This community can be so frustrating at times...
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool. I saw this on N4G.com (i think) around the time I finished Metroid Prime. It made me buy UT3 just to start learning how to make cool characters such as this one. It really gives me a better point, developing characters I can actually see in a game. Haven't got one in it though.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Gilbert wrote: »
    Hey thanks guys, sorry for the late response. Nice screenshots Pior, thanks. Yeah I kinda like to define details with neat smoothing groups, then sometimes just adding a small normal map line right across the uv to help emboss the whole thing.

The polycount is about 6000 triangles. I'll see about making a wireframe picture for you guys.

Once again, nice looking model.

6,000 actually sounds low. GoW had 10-15K each didn't they? How many poly's are the characters in UT3?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Gilbert wrote: »
    Why do you say that to me? Is this funny for you? How do you think this makes me feel? What's the point, do you really beleive I'll keep posting my stuff on this forum if I keep hearing those nasty pointless comments?

This community can be so frustrating at times...

sorry mate not sure if my irony detectors malfunctioning. just saying that i love the armour, but didnt like the head. didnt mean to cause offence if i have