Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First character model

Hi, haven't really done much organic stuff or any other modeling for a matter of fact in years. Just starting to get back into it, so heres my first crack at a character model.

Loosely based on a soldier/swat concept.

Would really appreciate any critique on the model regarding edge flow, poly distribution and overall proportions.

sas1zk1.jpg

sas2bh7.jpg

Replies

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    good start. geo is simple but effective. I would suggest finding a ortho image and following that. if you try and wing it, it will come out stiff and flat, like what you have here. You have plenty of geo, use that and build up the underlying forms.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Dude's got a pretty long pelvis/torso compared to his limbs. You can probably cut out the whole section from his crotch to the first pouch on the jacket. For a soldier I'd expect him to be bulkier up top so broader shoulders would help. It would also be a good idea to model him in a more relaxed pose, he's extremely rigid and unnatural looking right now which only makes things harder.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I could be off as fuck in what I'm going to say, but to me the difference in shading between loops on the arms and legs look like you extrude each part separately. Either that or you're using a shinny material?

I think you have some unneeded polys in there, consider fleshing the forms out a bit more and then adding detail.

Your basic shapes are there and it does give the impression of a soldier, but as acc said he needs bulkier shoulders and in my opinion a less flat stomach and front pelvis.

Again, it really seems as if everything is extruded separately and thus from edge loop to edge loop it has different smoothing groups.

If that's the case, you could extrude the full length of an arm instead and then use the quickslice to add the loops.
  • Apathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the input, I'll work on those recommendations.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Looking solid overall, but i noticed a few things that really stick out to me.

The posture on the front view is not natural at all. Humans are organic creatures. There are no perfectly stick straight areas to the body. If you were to get a person real person stand in a T pose, pay attention to the way the legs stand, how each bone curves lightly, etc etc. Also the hips seem more proportionate to a woman than a man.

The crotchal region isn't optimized for deformation. Here's a picture to show what I mean.
    teacherjoshbk7.jpg
    Please excuse the terrible drawing. I'm a left handed person drawing with a right-handed mouse. Nuff said :p

Also, the torso looks flat like a super-tortilla-paper-quesadilla-pancake stomped on by a giant ... front this angle. If you could provide a side view.

But yes, looking nice. Lots of potential to look fantastic!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    pangarang wrote: »
    Please excuse the terrible drawing.

shit, i think the drawing is awesome!