Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kitten!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
polycountkitten.jpg

theres the low res model in the max viewport and the texture pages

charro14.jpg

Theres the high res source. Or most of it. I think there was a later version, but I dont remember the image name.

This is what you get when I see cool art over a weekend/a few sick days in which im ill and broke. Productivity! I'm pretty much not going to mess with him anymore.

Once again. I'm in ur armor. Defending ur loot.

Replies

• javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    thats one bad ass looking kitten! I think maybe you should add a bit of planes with fur on them. But otherwise, this look awesome. Good work!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    So awesome, you go girl
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    The finished low poly is just f'n awesome. That's all I have to say.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit, that's hot. Spiky stuff ftw, and the fur turned out awesome.

Did you forget to alpha the loincloth armor thing, though?
    stoofoo-kitty.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words chappos.

I was sorta trying to do the fur with no alpha at all to try and be convincing. The loin cloth does indeed have an alpha channel over it. I just dont have a max viwport shader that looks niec and supports it. The little ringlets attached to the armor are alpha, too.=) Oh well. Cant win them all you know. =O
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great work stoofoo!

I think you could work on your presentation a bit blush.gif - the alphas and the gaps in your gradient under his arms and some more dramatic lighting to make him more 3d.
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT'S NO KITTEN!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one Joe, although the way you've cut out the background seems a bit rushed - shoulda done a Magic Wand with Contiguous unchecked, Tolerance of 1, and Anti-alias unchecked, then used that as a mask for your background gradient.
    As it is, the inside of his arm is still the viewport background colour, not the gradient, and the silhouette has been raped by the anti-alias option on an aliased selection area.
    Edit: Whoops, Tyler already mentioned this...

Should post the turnaround vid cos that was awesomest IMHO
    You know what I think anyway =)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyler: thanks. You are right the presentation is prettyyy shit. I didnt notice how badly i had butched it til i got it here at work. I'll work it out before i put it up in my folio, though.

Monochrome: =(((( it is tooo!!!!

Paul i'd post the turnaround but its 4 megs and i dont want to blow up my bandwidth usage. Oh well. =O
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda looks more like an anthropomorphised otter than a cat, but its a nice piece of work, nonetheless.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    this is awesom-o! any chance of posting some wires?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flatshaded.jpg

I dont have a proper wire, but thats the flat shaded business. I'm going to go back to drinkin beers now. ^_^
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Stoofoo, I don't know if you had the same problem as I, with the alpha making other parts of the model invisible, but that's the problem I've been having recently and the fix was to just detach the offending alpha planes to separate objects and then attach them.

Just throwing that out there in case that's your problem with the alpha channels. I'm using Ben Clowards shaders btw.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the attempt, tapan, but this is actually my shader from work. We dont have alpha hooked up for it. No ammount of detaching objects will affect it.=)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Aw, and I was so proud for finding this out after a day of frustration >_<
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :O awesome!

one problem i have with it is the tuft at the end of the tail, shouldn't it be a slightly different colour or shade?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe. sorry tapan.

El Zorr, yeah. It should have been a bit lighter and desaturated. It still could be. I'll come back to it after i finish banging on the other models i wanted to clean up for folio love.=O

Anyway, I updated the top image. I just added the gradient into the scene instead of butchering it in photoshop. I was really really sick when i did the presentation and it shows. haha. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, really cool concept and and work. Wish I was so productive on my sick days.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitten turnaround!

Bearkub was a lovely friend and hosted my turnaround for me. Clicky the linky!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That turnaround is really nice. This stuff always look better in motion.
    Give it a walk cycle or something! smile.gif
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    So much is going on in the front but nothing is happening in the back?

I like the color scheme btw. Browns are so soothing to look at.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cool stuff joe, glad to see this guy get done. Really liking how it turned out man. How did you end up doing the fur anyway, just painted a good bump map for it?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul: Thanks! I'm nooooo animator sir. not at alllll.

Whats true: yeah, the back is maybe a bit lacking? I guess I agree. =O

Hey joe, thanks. The fur was a combination of zbrush normals(just for some shape...basically only painted bubbled areas with the clay brush and then a bump map i worked over it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    dude! that came out awesome!!

comments:
    leather feels too uniform, needs some more texture and specular detail in spots! the Suede feel is cool, but just seems like it needs a lil more leathery-goodness. Try some super-ass cyan-blues in the spec for the leather, with a lot of black/highcontrast... makes sexy time.

something feels ... off about the stitches. they dont seem to pop as well as they could. normal issue? Speaking specifically @ the ones on the shoulder and head stuffs.

love the chest piece, though it reads more like rock than metal.

feels like the horns are too dark, or too saturated. unsure, they just seem a little off/muddy/lil icky compared to teh rest of it.

love the tattoo! would be cool to see more of that type of design on the armor, inlays in leather/indent thiniemajigs.

go balls out and add some fur planes!

put him in UT3! i demand it!