Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer building (wip)

Hello all, found some sweet warhammer concepts from warhammer online so decided to model one to take my mind off texturing road surfaces!
Its quite hi ish poly at the moment but i'll reduce it as i UV/texture it. Anyway, crits and comments are appreciated!
wip1.jpg[/image]
wip2.jpg[/image]
wip3.jpg[/image]
concept.jpg[/image]

Replies

• Monochrome
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Good choice, I really like that concept.

You're probably not that high poly, except around some of the pipes.

You've got good warping and distorting of shapes for small detail, but overall you could push the silhouette further. It doesn't seem to be feeling the effects of age, sagging and collapsing so much as the small details do.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks good.

i much prefer the concept's chimney-area to yours, though. would have liked a more faithful translation of it.

in fact, overall the proportions are quite off, but i don't think it negatively effects it anywhere else
  • dreigrasheir
    looking good so far, i like how you got a lot of the personality of the concept down in the middle door area. things like the chimney, archway on the right, and piles of junk could use a little more attention in the way you did the middle section. to a certain extent the roof too, but thats not shown on concept so you could really impress by designing it to match the style. looking great so far!
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Have you actually used booleans to cut shapes in that mesh? I'd suggest removing some connected edges and then turning them or reconnecting them in a more effective way, e.g.

jjtfdl.gif

I could be totally wrong though, and there's a high chance it doesn't even have any effect; I'm a total newb to environment modeling. Which consequently means that I really like your model.

We are making a demo game for a class, and our environment modeler just did the outline of the level with welded planes and that was it. Not a single pillar with more than 4 faces existed, and don't get me started on the walls. Wish we could use something more like your thing frown.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    model the ground around the building aswell, sitting a wonky building like this on a flat plane kills it just a little.

also id suggest loosing a few polys in the pipes that are hiegher up and adding a few nicks and ledges to the brick chimeny, it looks a wee bit regular
  • 5imeon
    cheers for all the comments fellas, yeah its still wip at the moment but hopefully next week i'll be able to get it finished and incorporate some of the comments.

ta!
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    I love the concept. Please be faithful to it.
  • 5imeon
    Had a bit of time today to model some more bits, changed the chimney area as it looked a little weak.
    [image]wip4.jpg[/image]
    starting to get near 10000 tri's now so i'll not be adding too many more details. Hopefully later i'll get the chance to look at the roof some more.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You could stand to take alot of the details out of the top half of the building facade, and put it into the lower half. Especially with the doors, there. Add handles and hinges. Nobody is going to see all the polys thrown up at the top of the building, so it is safe to take some from there to pump up what is going on at player level.
    Also, don't think you need to model out those brick pieces that high up, either. Could be put to better use, imo.
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking great, awesome concept choice also. There is quite a bit of optimization you can do to free up polys. A good enviro artist/prop guy will not only spend polys on detail but also polys to make sure that the object will blend into the environment. SHEPEIRO touched on this and I would like to reinforce it because it is VERY imporant when you actually get the prop in game. Players won't care if you chamfered every brick if your building doesn't blend well into the environment.

Someone spent some time drawing a giant pile of poop under the outhouse, which is a comment on the person hanging out in the hole. Which speaks to the story at large. You don't have to model the person, but I would suggest modeling parts of their hovel instead of boarding it up. Hinting that some lives next to a toxic dump is more interesting then boards.

The archway under the stairs looks to be another run off spot, modeling the whole building on a bit of a hill would allow you to put a small trench/depression and turn it from just an arch to a sewer arch with a purpose. You can then also add the broken cobble stones and other interesting ground details.

You put some effort into making boards crooked and slightly miss aligning some things, great stuff I love it. BUT the over all shape of the building, contains too many straight lines. I suggest you put some cuts in and FFD it to a slightly more exaggerated silhouette.

Going back to optimization:
    - Instead of making separate boards for the sign, make it one object with a few well placed cuts.
    - Removing the boards over the lower right corner hovel will give you a few polys to make a bowl and a small patch of dirty hay.
    - The half arches on the side of the building can go, that can be handled easy enough by textures. They are framed by trim and do not stick out or contribute to the silhouette which makes them a perfect candidate for a normal map. I think its a good idea to model them in, and maybe use them to bake the normal map or used as placement holders while you paint the texture, then delete them. But they can go if you're starting to hit your poly limit. Those polys can then be spent to round out the sharp edge on the high traffic steps, you chamfered bricks but didn't round out the steps?
    - Pipes, why so round?

Awesome progress so far, keep at it!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Adding on to the optimization you probably don't need to cut the windows in that high up either. You could probably just get away with having that as a flat wall and faking it by painting.

keep at it man. It is coming together.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    quite well looking stuff man. But I agree that the building could have a piece of ground/base ariound it.
    Btw, planks in windows could be done in texture as well.
    Awesome work in any case. I'm eager to see ur texturing wink.gif
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Well alot of people have picked this apart already, so i'll just add one more small thing. I think the geometry could be optimized in some areas (stairs doors) as the wireframes right now are eating up a few more triangles than they need to. But I'm liking the overall feel and style of the building. Good job!
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    that sir, is extremely bad ass! only thing is i think if you pushed the angle on the vertical part after the 2nd floor to lean more to the front it would help stylize it more and just look freaking sweet