Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio

EggE
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
EggE polycounter lvl 11
hey guys i just wanted to get some feedback on my portfolio... www.EdgarEspinal.com

FYI: on the home page is my demo reel its only 12 megs but for some reason it takes a few minutes to load...be patient please,lol. I'll fix that in the future but let me know what you think.

Replies

• Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    I only noticed the click here for demo thing when I read your 'fyi' second time around, may want to make that more obvious.
    You can say be patient, but if a lead artist etc has got tons of applications to get through, I presume they are not gonna bother to wait 2minutes, close the page and go onto the next applicant.
    other than that, nice simple layout which is easy to navigate smile.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    good layout, you just need to keep working on your art. You have some good ideas, but need to work on anatomy & practice getting your ideas across better.

Site's fine though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the thing; everyone in your links is better than you. This is an easy decision for any employer looking at your site, and I hope my message comes across as strongly as I mean it to.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the input and advice. While the site is easy to navigate what aspects of my portfolio have to be worked on or thrown away Specifically?...maybe my link section =/ ?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

Your site aside, what do you want to be exactly? Because "digital artist" doesn't really cut it. It's more of a general statement for everyone that makes art with a computer.

To be specific, you have more concept art than anything, but none of it is portfolio quality material. It looks like you're trying to learn, but haven't really nailed anything just yet.

The 3D; the apartment building might be the best piece here. It seems the most complete at looking like a building. The gun coming in 2nd. Characters really arn't for you.

At best, I would focus on some 3d environment pieces, sets, props, whatever you want to call them, and start fresh from there. Keep posting your work, getting feedback THEN build a strong portfolio.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    well while i would never link to anyone else on my portfolio, i don't think the message was as much "hide the fact that better artists exist" as much as "become a better artist. it just takes time and effort.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    god cholden is like the judge judy of poly count,lol but regardless this is stuff i know i need to hear and im going to make major changes to become better.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, opinionated and annoying? Come on, be nice now.
  • Dreamsin3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks edgar for ur comment on my website....and in urs everything is good...navigation is also easy n simple...i feel the buttons u have used for the navigation is outdated ...r u fan of black n white, like me.... grin.gif
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    lol anytime man. yea im a greyscale guy =]...what do you mean about my buttons?

Oh and i made some changes to my site. i axed alot of my stuff and i rearranged my 2D and 3D in the gallery section, i also took off my demo reel from my home page.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The basic mistake a lot of people make is having a splash screen or intro page. Someone visiting your site wants to see art. Bring them to the gallery immediately instead of making them look for a link to it.

Also, why, if you've labeled yourself a 3D Artist, is the very first image we see a 2D sketch?

I'd take Chris' advice and axe the characters as well, since they're far below what you're showing in the enviro and prop shots.

One other thing. The image of the Mini Uzi. You'd probably be better off getting rid of the "Wanted to learn to hand-paint metal" bit at the bottom of the image.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    Thanx LoTekk, i love your work by the way.

i changed some of the stuff that needed to be changed except the splash page, im just not convinced its a huge deal...i mean the gallery button is right there in clear view, also i wanted to use the spalsh page eventually as a link to my demo reel so it does have a purpose.