Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brand New Game Art Grad Here!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, I just graduated from the ARt Institute of Vancouver last thursday from the Game Art and Design program. I've graduated as a character artist, but I want to make sure that I am not confined to that role. I'm trying to push my other skills in drawing, digital painting, 3D prop modeling and texturing and graphic design.

I've created a portfolio website to showcase my skills, and it contains a variety of pieces from the various disciplines in which I am familiar with. It would mean much to me if you guys wouldn't mind taking a minute or two of your time to visit my site, and lemme know what you think. Critiques on the layout, any advice on selling myself to the industry, anything you have to say at all, I would love to hear it.

Here is the URL
http://www.joshuapang.ca/

Replies

• The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats!
    I would say first, get rid of the 'enter site' page. I just want to see the artwork, and that page just basically wastes my time. The other thing I would say is, show more of how you work. I didn't see any texture flats, and I would like to see the wireframes better. Other than that just keep making new models,drawings,paintings,etc to update your site as you improve. I would comment more on the models, but I can't seem to get your site to load at the moment. Not sure if that is a problem on your end or mine.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh jeez, I chose the worst time to direct people to my site. Apparently the server is going on maintenence mode. My site, and at least 2 other sites on teh same server aren't loading either. Sorry about that. Should be fine in a couple hours.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Might want to link your lightbox images together... It's a bit pointless to need to close each pic to load the next. There is an option to display all that in a sequence.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    There's an art institute in vancouver?!?!? wtf am i doing in the art institute of pittsburgh??

I like kenny the best... he just seems really cool, i really love the way your present your characters too. Inspirational stuff. I still got about a year left before i graduate. I can't decide which im going to graduate as. They dont have an environmental art category for portfolio so i'm kinda SOL.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Dont call yourself a character artist on your site. Just a 3d artist is fine. What if someone wanted to hire you for an enviro job?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic: Just wanted to let you know that the school I graduated from is in Vancouver, B.C., not Vancouver, Washington, in case there is any confusion. I'm not sure how they run things over at Pittsburgh, but here, students in the Game Art and Design program (the program's been replaced by Game Design, Modeling, and Animation, 3 separate programs) get to choose to graduate as environment artists, character artists, and game designers. And thanks alot for the compliments.

Aesir:

You bring up a good point. I'll look into getting that splash page fixed. Thanks for the insight.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    i was just as surprised as Virtuosic about the art Institute of Vancover. I just recently graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and we cant really choose what we want to specialize in,were taught to be a jack of all trades which is good because your more marketable but it sucks for the student that can ONLY model and wants to graduate and cant get by because of his sketchbook in portfolio review.

BUT this thread is about you pangarang,lol. Um i like the presentation of your site, some things are pretty exceptional like your characters, i think you can tell also because those are the first pieces, but other things like the lighting test and unreal 2004 stuff isnt as impressive.

In all you have some strong pieces (your characters and in game props) but you need to concentrate on presentation (poly count, wireframe, multiple angles, and texture treatment) good work though.

Art Institute! F ! collins college,lol
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE,

WOW the AI of Pittsburgh sounds rough! There are so many disciplines invovled in the gaming industry, how do they expect their grads to stand out from one another? A designer, character artist, concept artist, environment artist, UI artist ... all with the same training? Really doesn't sound right.

Lol, yes you're right, this thread is about me, hahaha. I put the most work into my characters because that's where my heart is. But I also wanted to show that I can model props as well, and do other things like lighting and render.

Thanks for taking a look, yeah.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Texture flats as mentioned and needs a load of figurative drawings to go with the vector art...

And I also agree removing the UT work...they really aren't as on par with your demo reel.