Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Toon Samurai

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Heyya guys, i have a whole week off school so i thought i'd do something fun!

sculpting form out in Z brush, then going to retopologize and create my base model that i use for animation and all that in zbrush. Then i'll unwrap him in an external program, bring him back into zbrush and do all the texture work in there.

Here's some shots of the base sculpt before i start doing the base model.

sam1.jpg

sam2.jpg

Replies

• AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken legs. Also I think his face could look a bit more Japanese.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Individual parts look nice but as a whole, its not really working for me. I think its cause you've yet to find the right formula of proportions for this to look cartoony, instead of wrong. He needs to be stubbier overall. Maybe reference the proportions of a young child or a baby?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya perhaps he needs to be a bit wider or something, i'll look into the small child proportions.

As for the limbs.. i want them to be a bit sknnier... maybe i just dont understand the right way to pull of toonistic/stylistic proportions yet... time to go learn how.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you need more than just four bulbous fingers to make a toon. really all you got here is a normal head, a normal body that is a smaller scale, with tiny arms and legs.
    you should take some time and research various toon styles to see they they do or do not work,
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    We're talking Tom Cruise samurai here, guys.
    nice model
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i've made some changes, here's what he looks like so far

samuraiarmor.jpg

samuraiarmorwire.jpg

I added some teeth and a tongue to him recently but havn't taken any more photos of him. Still working on the face to give him more of a japanese look... I really like the way he is turning out, i might keep the shaders simple to maintain the cartoony look. We'll see what happens.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Hey there bud, I saw your post and I figured I would throw in my 2 cents as well. Ok, first, I did a lil paint over to show you what I think this character could use smile.gif
    samuraiarmorcw0.jpg
    Right around his armpits, they seem to bow downwards towards the chest.Are you going to sculpt him? I added in a couple different things such as gloves, more straps for his armor, longer grey hair, and a tattered cloth so he can wipe the blood from his hands and face after he rips some bitches up! I know you are in the early process of the character, but I hope this helps! KEEP IT UP!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha spug that's awesome dude! He looks a tad bit futureistic actually i kinda dig it. YA i'm going to scuilpt him still. the armpits are an easy fix that i will actually do right now.
    He kinda looks like scorpion

I figured i'd just sculpt in all of the straps onto the base body mesh, and add stuff like cloth straps later. Right now i'm rigging up the mouth, but i might stop to make some more changes.

Thanks for the paintover dude! looks awesome as usual! BTW where are you working now?

• Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished up the phonomes for the character.
    did a basic mouth test.

download the 2.85 MB avi. here.

i think i need to add some more expressions to his repatoir if i'm going to be using this guy to do shorts and all that. He needs a wider range of facial movements.

http://www.virtuosicstudios.com/junk/mouthtest.avi