Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my first low poly human

This is my first attempt at a low poly human female, she is currently 3100 tris. Lookin for comments and crits, if anyone has any comments about how to cut down the poly count that would be useful. thanks
fem.jpg

Replies

• Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    it's really hard to give you crit on poly useage when you got all the edges showing.
    Here's a link showing how to get a solid render in max, mite be similar to what package you are using if it's not max.

http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/rendering/wireframe_solid.shtml
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The proportions and overall shapes are fairly good, but the way your mesh is constructed seems very messy. There are a lot of edges that need turning, and the breasts in particular seem to be constructed very strangely. Not very smooth or natural.

Also her feet seem huge and clumpy, why is she wearing shoes when the rest of the model implies she's naked?
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you mean that all the triangles edges are showing? rather than quads? thats because in most areas i did split the quads into tris to try to be more efficient.
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah the feet, well this character is intended to be used in an mmo, she will never be actually naked ingame so im tryna prepare the model to be clothed, of course the clothes will replace the underlying bodyparts. And i was tryna save polygons, no need for toes so no need to make em.

and the breasts, yeah i need to work on em a bit more, but then i will probably replace them with clothing too so not sure whats best.
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sorry about the above renders, i triangulated the whole model to check the tri count then rendered them, i realise now thats horrible to look at so heres some better renders i hope, but as i said before, some areas i did actually cut into tris so they still show as tris, nothing i can do about that i dont think anyway.
    fem2.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    much better smile.gif
    like MoP said, you got the base proportions down, you just need to clean it up a little. Keep to quads and triangles when constructing a mesh, you've got a lot of n-gons going on (5sided) which are a nono.
    theres some crazy mesh flow going on in the face, you could lose a lot on the nose and around the top lip, this would hlep tidy it up also. hope you dont mind, this is some good example of head topology I've got saved, not sure who it's by frown.gif

Untitled-1.jpg

hope that helps a bit
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    NSFW FTW! \o/ pm the nud.. oh, wait.

You should consider cleaning up the nose/cheeks/mouth area, overall form is good, but it would benefit from doing some cleaning up in areas like that.

I'd suggest pushing the bottom *mouth* lip a bit, and you have enough vertices to make the eyes a bit more realistic too. Just a bit of shaping, you know, instead of having them being perfectly oval. You can also remove polys from the hands I think and add some in mid forearm I think.

Like MoP said, you need to also work on the tits a bit, try removing the triangle edges so that you're left with polys and do a bit of edge turning. Then redefine the shape a tad and you'll be fine.

Boobs are a bitch, I'm working on a chick at the moment and I also have trouble getting the shape right. Now imagine if I wrote the above sentence as "I'm doing a chick atm" instead.
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah great feedback guys thanks, ive just made some adjustments to the breasts and the feet, hopefully there cleaner now, hmm now onto the face..
    fem3.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, huge improvement with the tits! Try making them a bit bigger though -_-. They're pretty realistic and everything but big tits never hurt anyone laugh.gif
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    still lots of strange polies and edges, look at your model flatshaded, that'll make all edges that need to be turned pop out directly.
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so now i have a question about texturing ethics and technique, i had a quick go at texturing her face using parts of a few different photos and puttin it all together.

So my question is,assuming your tryna make a realistic human how do you normally texture a human character, paint em from scratch, mix up parts of real human parts from photos or what?

What is conisdered more professional, painting the texture from the start or cutting up parts of reference photos?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    say it with me. . . "trying to"
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    I find painted textures to look the best because it gives more style, the other alternative is to use photos, as you mentioned. Using straight up photos will look like cheese though, you have to do manual adjusting and painting to blend the photos and to get the colours to match up, as well as removing highlights. So really, regardless of which method you choose, it will look professional if you invest the time smile.gif
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm good answer, i tried both methods, which one looks better?

straight photo with some manip:
    face.jpg

OR

painted:
    face2.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    The hands need some geo cleaned up, the wrist transition is a bit too bulky and the fingers wont bend without proper joints. Better posture would help, they feel very stiff and i'd adjust the size slightly, in general the hand is big enough to cover the whole face (from chin to hairline).
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, this is how she's currently looking, ive adjusted the body slightly and re done the hair, and of course added clothes etc, both varients are about 3k tris each.
    dee.jpg
    angie.jpg still workin on the textures of the clothes and maybe hair a bit too. comments welcome as always.