Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snow Pirate Sniper

EDIT: He's going to be a snow pirate sniper instead - there were too many people walking by my computer and thinking he was a Jawa from Star Wars, in his original sand pirate version.

This will be my next super low-poly project. It's nice to have projects will quick turn-around times to balance out the long projects.

A little sand pirate sniper guy - I'm aiming for a lower poly count than my previous project, Boo Kid, so I'm shooting for under 350 tris, and a 64x64 texture map if it can look readable, otherwise 128x64.
sandpiratesniper.png

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Love the boo kid, but 64x64 might be too small (for anything)... Looking forward to updates.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks - yeah, I'm not going to shoot myself in the butt if I have to use a larger tex; an update you will have!
    sniper_wip1.png

The little face mask will be alpha planes so it'll look rounded instead of two triangles.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    Love the boo kid, but 64x64 might be too small (for anything)... Looking forward to updates.

[/ QUOTE ]
    you're not familiar with tennis are you tongue.gif

gl with it man smile.gif
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UVs are done - I was more tolerant of distortion so I could get the most out of a 64x64 tex. Also managed to scrape off 4 more tris, for a total of 324. I'm pretty satisfied with the texel size.
    sniper_wip2.png
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You kids these days are spoilt with your 2048*2048. Back in my day (this morning) we textured characters with 32*32 and we din't complain.

Coming along well Edward E. Do be aware that if you do have texture stretching, it'll be much more evident because of the small number of pixels. What you've got there appears to be fine though.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch, Jackablade. (:

So I went with a snow pirate sniper instead of a sand pirate sniper, as I got too many people wondering if I was making a Jawa from Star Wars - I actually like this snow version better, anyway; it's more interesting.

So here is my texture; I'm pretty satisfied with them, but I might tweak it a bit, and I think 64x worked well.

Might make a mini environment for him, and I was playing with the idea of making a soldier variant or some kind of vehicle for him, like a snowmobile or buggy.
    edsniper_01.png
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Coming along nicely, though I kinda prefered the proportions of the concept (thinner torso). The front view, especially, looks a little odd.

Nice touch with the icicles on the muzzle brake, btw!

Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to crank the contrast. smile.gif
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of your input on the projects I've posted here, LoTekK - I really appreciate it. I found the shorter and more even size between the head and body more appealing - I think it's because it reminds me of a 2D sprite from the games I grew up with; it does have a different attitude compared to the concept, I definitely agree - while he doesn't seem as lanky and devious as the concept, he seems more lively and solid to me with his extra meat and midget-esque style, which in this instance I liked more.

I've pulled some of the contrast out like suggested, which works well; but I'll wait until I update it again to post it - I think I may go with adding a micro-environment and have a little mobile satellite dish set up next to him.
  • Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet man, I like the style. I think having the environment with it will make it killer, hope to see some rigging/posing again too!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I like it, looks like a 'snow jawa' smile.gif

I think you should do skins, maybe sand and jungle snipers.

I like the icycles on the gun tip, could be moss in the jungle vers.
  • jheight2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would he change it to jungle or sand if he's in the winter? it woulndt camoflauge so well. jungle is too borring neways.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably just going to stick with the snow variant, but I might make a heavier soldier version with a bigger gun and bulkier equipment.

Randommonkies: Definitely going to rig him like my last low poly guy.
  • Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet, looking forward to it.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    VERY SOLID...texture is looking superb, keep it up
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    OH GUY! This is AWESOME! forgive my sounding like a teen-dork, but this is like 3D pixel art... WITH STYLE! You blew me away with this one man! Is there a particular reason you made everything so small? Otherwise, ROCKING!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    very nice work dude - now you just have to face him off with :

super ninja yeti's :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I like it alot, great work
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spug, achmedthesnake, renderhjs: Thanks, guys - it's really nice to get the reassurance that I'm doing good stuff; I'm fairly new to ultra-low spec stuff like this, so knowing I'm heading in the right direction is great. (:

BeserK: lmao, I'm not sure I've ever received a comment this passionate before - it's good, though! I made everything really small to try to simulate something that might be on a handheld system, and just generally see 'how low I can go'. Plus, I just really like the chunky, pixelated look; perhaps I find it nostalgic.

Some day I'll try out a 150-200 tri character with a 32x32 map!
  • DomDeRose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm impressed with how much detail and style you crammed into so little poly's and an even smaller texture, very nice work.