Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Repentance (May be offensive)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
After 11 weeks of hard work, we finally got our goofy fake game trailer out.

Although i would love to go and fix some of the animation and other technical issues, i'm just burnt out right now.

Was a group project, we had a great team working on it. I was responsible for all of the animation, and i modeled Jesus and did all the fancy particle effects.

Please guys, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VZG9z9_ufY

C and C welcome as always.

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    That was actualy pretty entertaining laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it is funny.. sound/music could use a lot more love though, and the line 'christians are supposed to be merciful!... i was a jew' line left a bad taste tbh. I know its tongue in cheek and all, but it sounds like you're taking a jab at jews

I know its a lot of work though so congrats getting it done smile.gif
  • Remus989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that was pretty funny
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    OMG that "I was a jew" line killed me! Ahahahaha, great stuff. Is that like a school project or something? The animation was fairly good I think.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    it is funny.. sound/music could use a lot more love though, and the line 'christians are supposed to be merciful!... i was a jew' line left a bad taste tbh. I know its tongue in cheek and all, but it sounds like you're taking a jab at jews

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on man. It's taking a much bigger jab at Christians with Duke Jesus[em]. Seinfeld had a shitload of funnier/more caustic jokes about Jewish people in general, big deal.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol thanks guys, yea we wanted to straddle the offensive line with some of the dialogue, but we originally intended to crack on all religions, however due to time constraints we didn't get moses in the trailer... him and jesus exchange a couple of one liners, like they are old rivalries, kind of like vagita and goku (excuse the shitty comparison).

Ya it was a school project... the sound was edited in about 2 hours, so it really didn't get the love it deserved. The animation was painful, was working on it for a very long time, im just glad it's finished and turned in, now i can maybe spend some time making something for DW
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think that's a slightly different matter t4paN, Larry David being jewish and all.. anyway since I'm not religious I couldn't care less, just reporting the way it appeared to a first time watcher
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i laughed good job animation needed a lot of work so did the models but all in all it made its point :P
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Fair enough. Personally I found it funny because it didn't make me think "oh shit he just called every jewish guy a granade-launcher totting psycho" but rather "Jesus Christ just said he wasn't Christian".
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    while i give you points for creativity, I wouldn't use this as portfolio material, you may not know of you'll offend.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Why doesn't he have a nailgun?

I've wanted to do something similar for a while, but it's hard to do while being humorous instead of just offensive.

I liked the "I was a Jew" line, myself.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Why were all car undersides white??? First its unrealistic and second if you made them black then it wouldnt show how undetailed they were too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    snappier editing would be good,
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hahaha hilarious ! altho the animation is kinda basic and stiff, still you completed it props wink.gif hope to see more stuff from you laugh.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on man. It's taking a much bigger jab at Christians with Duke Jesus[em]. Seinfeld had a shitload of funnier/more caustic jokes about Jewish people in general, big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really like that line either. Not because I found it offensive at all, it just seemed like a "non sequitur" to me. It's true that Jesus was a Jew, but it doesn't really have anything to do with being merciful or not. In the context of what was being said, it didn't make much sense and wasn't a very well written joke in my opinion.

I think it would work better if he said something like, "I AM Christianity," kind of like a cop saying, "I AM the law" when a suspect tells the cop that police brutality is against the law.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    keyser: thats kind of what I was getting at really- its not poking fun at any aspect of the jewish belief, it just says 'jews are merciless' which isnt particularly funny tongue.gif
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the whole line was, "I thought you CHRISTIANS were supposed to be merciful" ... jesus was simply saying that he was not christian... he was a jew. Jesus felt it necessary to correct him on his religion. The context of the joke may be unclear, but it does not state at all that jews are merciless. Rooster you said, "It just says jews are merciless"... it doesn't say that at all... that's simply the way it was interpreted by you and some of the other people on the board.

Sorry if it offended people but theres never going to people who aren't offended by something that's this risky. That's what the group understood going into the project. Trust me, we could have made it much much worse, but we wanted to get to the area - if 10 was offensive, we wanted to be at 9.99.

Look at south park, i'm sure south park offends millions of people... but it's still one of the best shows out there.

When it's all said and done, we knew people would be offended, but those aren't the people we were targeting.

The animation was shit i know, lol. It's my first time animating something of that scale, and time constraints are a BITCH. The next thing you see from me will be free-time project that will be much less offensive :-)

And about the cars, it was at that point where i just didn't think about that stuff. They looked like cars, which is enough for me. But i think back now and realize... damn, i should have made those bottoms black.. good lookin out Toomas.!

I really wish i coudl have gotten this animation done and compiled a week earlier, so i could take into account all the good comments and ideas that you guys gave me.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i'll stop buggin you about it smile.gif but- the implication is there intentional or no. I think its important to know if something you make has a percieved meaning different to the intention of its creator
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I saw something similar where there was a cartoon "troubled priest with a shotgun" and this undead guy is like "your a priest you cant kill me the.." -BOOM! "you must be thinking of another religion" or something like that, sorry I cant remember the actual line.

ORR he could be more like terminator
    demon"-but you said not to murder!!!"
    Jesus:"I lied." BAM!!!

imo that would be funnier because technically Jesus is "Christian Jew" or "Jewish Christian" :S lol

but I think i'm being too techincal. Everyone gets the jist of it anyway.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm offended alright, i'm offended i cant find it on store shelves! frown.gif
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Lolz!!! Loved it. I like your humor! I really do. Not religous at all, so I really can enjoy this type of humor.
  • dreigrasheir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty funny idea, looks like you have it storyboarded out well. animation is good, models look great. the only thing is the entire 'trailer' moves pretty slow. Watch the trailer for any action movie/game, the trick is showing lots of action in very little time. i think you could edit it down quite a bit and make it hold the viewers attention longer.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I was a Jew" AAHAHAHAHA. That was great. Good school stuff, you got plenty of different things going on there.
  • PlayfulPuppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PlayfulPuppy polycounter lvl 17
    Just a quick crit, you really need to use the whole body in all of your animations. For example, when Jesus first pulled out the grenade launcher, his arm was wobbling about but the rest of his body was completely static. People compensate for weight and movement by shifting their center of gravity; moving the feet and shoulders to accommodate.

Also, try to play with the animation curves a lot more, especially with the camera. The interpolation was incredibly obvious and it just felt unpolished.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques playful.

And i totally understand what u mean by static body movements. I try to make it a point as an animator to never have any part of the body completely static. Your right about that shot. everytime i look at it i cringe because it's one of the only shots in there that are like that.

And as for being unpolished. It is EXTREMELY unpolished due to time constraints... Ha if i had it my way i would have been editing this for another month and getting all the sound and shit in there. But we edited all the shots and sound together on the last day in like 2 hours, and we were throwing in clips just to fill up the required space we needed.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I dunno man, I've been to a lot of schools and seen a lot of student projects and they all have the same underlying problem - unrealistic expectations of the student that need to be accomplished within an unrealistic time frame. It sucks that it looks like this is the case for you.

And with that said...

I've no 'critiques' per se, as you're likely finished this and have moved on. So, I'll be blunt here as I don't quite know how else to say it.

I didn't find it at all funny. Or good for anything you may possibly be trying to achieve with this other than a cheap laugh.

I don't follow religions as much as others might, so that may be why I didn't find it funny, but if you think this will help you get a job somewhere you are kidding yourself.

You mentioned that it was unpolished due to time constraints - so why even release it? You handed it in already, probably got it graded, so why not take the time to really make something you can use rather than something a few people may find funny but in no way t

There was no art direction. Animations were poor. Floating level props here and there. Poor lighting. Mesh density for the entire video was all over the place. Was there any thought in to the actual gameplay of this project? (re:He's suppose to be going after the demons, yet he's blowing up cars - and all the demons did was tip one of the cars over! Oh, right, Jesus had a grenade launcher. Er...)

Ooof, so there you have it. Good practice & exercise for you but back it up or delete it and move on to bigger & better (and a more suitable timeframe).
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Adam: imo the school projects you refer to (unrealistic expectations and timeframe) are usually to do with students overreaching themselves and trying to make lord of the rings with one man in three weeks. I know my tutors were always saying 'make something short and polished' but everyone went off and made some epic 5 minute animation anyway that was rough around the edges (I was guilty of the same thing)
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was for a cheap laugh. I wouldn't use this to try and get a job anyways because it's a group project; not something i did individually.

Why NOT release something that we spent 11 weeks on that we finished? I'm actually really proud of it. A bunch of 7th quarter students did that project, of course it's not going o be polished and professional. It's student artwork. We had a goal, and we accomplished it. So i'm proud of my team. The majority of people who watch the video say the like it and find it quite funny, even if it's just one or two laughs. So i'd say it's a success.

I am moving on to a project that I'm doing by myself right now, that has no time constraints and will be more appropriate and animation oriented.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I think it's awesome. I had a LOT of "useless" classes for my degree that suffered from the same sort of expectations that could never realistically be anything more than a "thrown together" sort of outcome.

Teachers occasionally give students these grand projects without realizing that some students don't have mommy and daddy paying the bills and 4 more classes they have to worry about.

Not that it doesn't take a lot of personal drive to get anywhere - but in the case of animation and rigging (especially when you don't want to be an animator or a rigger) you sometimes have to do what you can to get a "fun" project...learn a little along the way and move on.

Anyone who goes to an art college and thinks they are going to be amazing at ALL aspects of game creation at the end of the program is going to be seriously disappointed, and unfortunately a lot of schools simply cram a thousand different aspects down a student and the end result is less focus on anything in particular (aside from the students who step up on their own.)
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely agree with you Ott. AIP allows students to focus on a couple aspects for their portfolio... off the top of my head there is concept, technical (rigging and all that shit), animation, and character... i think there might be a bit more.

I mean i want to focus on environments but at the same time i had shit ton of fun animating this so i mean, I'm in a situation where i don't even know what to focus on. it's kind of frustrating.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Wait a second, this isnt a real game? Awww, well fuck, lets make it into one! Best idea ever. Duke jesus. Love it.

ps. Offensive is what makes it funny. Who really cares?!

-Buddikaman-
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UT3 mod anyone?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id do it, would need a programmer though. ;/

-Buddikaman-
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    nah you can do a hell lot of stuff with ut3 without a coder gameplay, posteffects, shaders, animations, particels etc. it's all there and easy to manipulate, as long as you don't need anything totally brandnew, you can do a mod without a coder wink.gif
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Samuel L Jackson says in pulp fiction, "well shit negro, thats all you had to say!"