Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DW III question

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
3DLam polycounter lvl 14
Shaders.... can some please clarify the rules regarding shaders in laymen's terms? Node based shaders vs. non-node based? Does this mean no SSS in Maya? I know that there are SSS shaders in Crysis....and that all default shaders in Crysis, HL2 blah blah blah are allowed. Help, I'm confused.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you might have to head over to game artisans forum, fred has said he can't check all the different sites for questions
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Poopinmymouth Qouted:

"Pretty sure I've already clarified it, but here we go again.

For this comp, to the judges it has seemed that there are a select few people who understand shader creation, while the vast majority does not. So while shader creation is a part of modern games, we are not allowing it for this comp. Only pre existing shaders are allowed, no manually constructing ones. The only thing allowed is subbing out the texture maps with your own, which is a simple concept to understand. Take out the existing normal map, put in your own, take out the existing specular map, put in your own, etc. You are not allowed to add a fresnel node, or a ramp, or anything else that wasn't there.

Again, this is slightly arbitrary, but after the various contest organizers have discussed it, this is the compromise we've all decided on. Next year will most likely allow more shader leeway, but this year it will not.

Node based shader creation consists of any package where you're constructing a shader out of nodes. UE3, maya, Max, etc. You can only use the shaders that these programs come with standard, and then insert your maps directly where they go. In some packages this might look like node creation, but if it's only to change your normal map for the one it shipped with, this is allowed.

I suggest people find the engine from the brief they most like the lighting and shaders from, and use that engine."

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2171&page=18&highlight=unreal+3+shader

Personally I think it means no fancy rendering(SSS, AO, Vray, GI) except for on beauty render you can do what you like. So basically all the pics submitted will be realtime viewport or in-game styled pics except for the beauty renders? Am I right?
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I still find it all a little confusing and extremely verbose (or maybe I'm just really stupid). But lets say I wanted to use max's translucency Material and Antisotropic material with 3 spotlights, these are standard with Max, is this allowed?? I've searched all through the thread on GA and I got a very vague idea of what is allowed and what isn't. Bare in mind that I am a tad dense when it comes to these things.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "For this comp, to the judges it has seemed that there are a select few people who understand shader creation, while the vast majority does not."

pretty stoopid, I probably wasn't going to finish my entry anyway but the whole shader fiasco killed my enthusiasm early.
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks all for the replies...I'm been checking out (wasting valuable time??) the cry2 engine. Pretty darn impressive... only time is a tickin and I'm not sure if I have enough time to mess with trying to get my model in there. We'll see.