Home Technical Talk

Rendering in 3ds Max

Recently I decided I might want to learn how to render properly with something other than the basic rendering tool on 3ds Max. I tried fiddling around with mental ray myself, but the shadows come off as blocky and with obnoxious blurred edges.

Was wondering if someone could direct me to a tutorial somewhere I could learn to do mental ray rendering properly? I'd really appreciate the help.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Help > User Reference.

Seriously. It has a great section on mr.... workflows, pitfalls, etc. And they talk about shadows.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I covered a lot of the basics in this thread.

I would stick with ScanLine until you need some of the features in MR, or VRay. VRay makes things much easier to set up but you pay for it come render time. There is no replacement for knowing the basic principles of lighting. That kind of knowledge translates very well to just about any 3D app or engine you are working with. It wouldn't be a wise move to make a bunch of pretty renders with VRay and then not have any clue what it was doing. Especially if you might be asked to light something without it...