Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Demon hunter

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Hi, this is my first normal mapped character that I'm making for a university project.
The Demon Hunter is a character from Warcraft, some images here:
Blizzard's concept art
Warcraft 3 (in game)

Edit:

All the WIP images were deleted from my site while cleaning up the folders/contents and instead of reuploading them again I'll just post the final images here.

Final beauty and construction shots:

beauty.jpg
construction.jpg

testing edit time

Replies

• merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start, imo the shoulder blade areas up to the triceps could do with a bit of revision, also the veins seem a bit too prominent to me.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I really would encourage you to take another pass at that characters shape. The concept you posted has SO fucking much character. It's rad. If you could push the shapes and make him a bit more interesting that'd be great. Your current model look mediocre, but its basically just looking like some idealized anatomry model you made repurposed to be a DH.

That uv map is pretty wacky. I'd not wanna paint on it. Legs being splayed appart and having that pelt mapped body would be mostly a nightmare to paint anything on.

It's a respectable start! Keep pushing it, yo! gogogogogooggoogogog!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Like stoofoo said, really push Illidan's form....the concept are makes him look huge and massive, your model just looks like he likes the gym...but not love.

Also, can we get a shot of the weapon in front view??? something about it is throwing me off from the concept.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually deliberately didnt want to follow the concept exactly and made his anatomy more "realistic" because I didnt like the original style with huge arms frown.gif Even Blizzard make their demon hunters in both warcraft 3 and world of warcraft realistically proportional.

But yea I can see how the character is not interesting at all because it really does look like a generic superhero male with some tattoos.

I saw a video tutorial by Ben Mathis lay out the body in the same way so I used that as reference. I didnt think it was too troublesome to paint anything but then again I'm not very good at painting as you can see frown.gif

oh btw this isn't suppose to be Illidan, its just a regular demon hunter. Illidan has horns, wings and hooves as well as glowing tattoos. He is a much more interesting character but its such a typical choice and I have a habit for not choosing the most popular stuff :/

The weapon also doesn't follow the concept exactly, its more like the one Illidan uses: http://www.robheller.com/images/blog/illidan_final.png

Thanks alot for the comments though, I will rethink the way I look at concept art and try not to make my characters too generic smile.gif
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I like it. It looks sort of anime-ish in the way everything is correctly proportioned, but it's not bad imo. You need to beef some areas up perhaps. I'd go for fingers and toes (too slim), give him a manlier jawline, bigger shoulders/hands, perhaps more defined arms? Shit like that would add some character to your model I think.

Also, consider making his head smaller to make the body look bigger and taller overall.

It's not bad though.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Correction. Illidan with Undead powers had wings, horns, and hooves. You're modeling Night Elf Illidan (Demon Hunter).

I agree that it would have helped if they renamed them to give them some distinction.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments, I buffed up those areas t4pan suggested and built a rig to pose:

beauty_front.png
    beauty_side2.png
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man, it would be even better if you pulled his deltoids up a bit so that they separate/protrude from the arms some more (I mean upwards not overall) - just my opinion tho. Post a couple unposed pics when you have the time. BTW, where are you studying?
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    nice model, but I dont think your really selling it with that pose, if that's the final one. It kinda looks like he's off balance and putting his arms out to keep stable.
    Try getting up and actually putting yourself in a badass pose, and see how your weight is distributed. Also you could check out some martial art reference

http://www.skckarate.com/images/3/K%20Pose%20CR2.jpg
    http://www.skckarate.com/images/3/K%20Pose%20PI%20Sai1.jpg

hmm just go google really :P

The muscles are nicely done btw
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work overall. I like the muscles. And I spent about 1000 hours playing wc3 so you got me there.

The colors are putting me off a bit. Seems a bit like an alien with the purple green and brown. A palette that works better together would benefit him imo. Here's an example of an artist who uses bold colors that compliment each other well: Jason Chan. He's even painted some WC3 stuff.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments,

t4pan im studying at staffordshire

Twilson I duno about the colours... I kinda like them, I did try changing the glow to every different colour but I ended up liking green the best :/

I changed the pose slightly so he doesnt look off balance anymore, plus rotated his right hand so more of the other weapon is visible.

pose1.png
    pose2.png
    pose3.png
    pose4.png
    dhtextures.png
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Looks badass man, good job.

Have you passed the normal map from nvidia's filter? Giving the pants some extra cloth feel with a preset fill would also help. It's looking good either way.