Home Technical Talk

TF2 Characters?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
I'm interested in working out some TF2 characters. Well, not really characters, I just want to see some art ive done using their shader for characters. If I can get it in as a static mesh and still have the same rendering style, that's fine. I've looked for a while now, and not come up with anytihng but "skinning" tutorials. Boo.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of what you'll need to work with is in the VMT file for that particular texture. If you haven't worked with VMT its basically a text file that tells Source what shader to use in the first line. For most props they use "$VertexLitGeneric" But in your case you'll want to play around with $phong.

The Valve wiki is over due for a large phong info update, to better support TF2. As of right now its a bit heavy on theory and light on practical knowledge, but it has enough to get you rolling. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Phong
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Omfg...i am making a mod for half life 2 orange box, and this helps a lot...

For some reason, i havn't even thought about the different layors of phong textures...well, i did, but didn't think i would need any, because i want the mod to not be so realistic, but more like TF2 on the color...

But of course, me being a complete noob and this stuff, my model is going to look like crap when i put it in the game...but i hope for it to look a lot better once i actually figure out how to do this stuff...