Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Bal - Geomancer & Pet

Bal
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bal polycounter lvl 17
Final Update with submitted images:

bal_krylhlar01dw3_winningpose_small.jpg

bal_krylhlar02dw3_beautyshot_small.jpg bal_krylhlar03dw3_constructionshots_small.jpg

bal_krylhlar04dw3_texturesheet_small.jpg bal_krylhlar05dw3_conceptsheet_small.jpg

Also rendered a little 360: http://born-robotic.net/stuff/dw3/KrylHlar_Turnaround.mov

Original Post:

Hey! First post here, I've been stalking Polycount on and off for a very long time, ever since the early quake 2 years, but I was only doing level design back then, so never posted.

But this year I really want to take part in the Dominance War, and Polycount was the obvious team to join.

So anyway, my character is a teenage girl who happened to come across a powerful geomancer grimoire, which alows her to summon earth golems and such.
Took me a while to find something that suited me, I'm trying to go for a slightly silly look, I know if I start getting into serious realistic stuff I'll never be able to finish on time (lazyness and all).

Here's a rough of the designs, and an early wip of the sculpt for the golem:

dw3wip01.jpgdw3wip02.jpg

I've already done more work on the girl's design, and done a base mesh, but I'm not quite ready to show her off yet, will soon hopefully.

Hope everyone has a nice war. smirk.gif

Replies

• zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    hey!

it was about time tongue.gif
    it's me or..he had a look of perverse laugh.gif
    keep going.. !!

Quand est-ce qu'on se refait un cinoch? wink.gif
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Woot, yeah so I really wanted to post my progress here more often, but I spent all my time trying to get this damn thing finished on time, and I finally made it!

Wasn't able to do quite everything I wanted to in the end, due to lack of time (damn my collegues for making me play COD4 during lunch breaks!) and a few technical hurdles, but I really feel like I learned alot, and I'm looking forward to starting a new model and spending more time on it.

Will describe my workflow quickly now.

So first of all I simplified my concept quite quickly, as I saw right away that I'd never find the time to make two characters.
    So I ditched the girl and stuck to the fat fellow, who's now some kind of big earth gnome Warlord. Couldn't really think of what to do as an artifact for him, though of a slingshot or an unrooted tree at first, but finally decided on an ancient runic shovel, earth element (the idea hit me as I was taking a break bashing some heads in as a soldier in TF2, heh).

dw3wip05.jpg

Anyways, this was my base mesh in 3dsmax, really simple.

dw3wip06.jpg

And here's what my hipoly ended up being, I would have really liked to spend more time with it, but oh well... It reached about 5 million polies.

dw3wip07.jpg

I did a quick retopology using polyboost in 3dsmax, not as good as Topogun, but still quite a useful tool.

dw3wip08.jpg

I then uwrapped my model with the great (and free) RoadKill, and started baking stuff in the also great (and free) Xnormal. Wasn't satisfied with how my normals were showing up in max (probably missing some info here), so I switched to maya and it looked fine there. Here's the normal in maya :

dw3wip09.jpg

Worked on my other maps in Photoshop, and a bit with Bodypaint to clean up some seams and put some quick colors down. Here he is in maya again with all the maps :

dw3wip10.jpg

And finally did my renders in Xnormal. would have liked to try and import them into UE3 or Cryengine or something, guess I'll try that later on.
    Here's my winning pose :

dw3wip11.jpg

My 5 submitted images are viewable here:

http://born-robotic.net/stuff/dw3/

Great experience anyways, good luck to those that haven't quite finished yet, lots of great stuff around here!
    I'm gonna go sleep now. =)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Great! The mushrooms on his head are a nice touch :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments. =)

Just rendered out a little turn around animation, no fancy lighting here either, just used the Maya hardware renderer :

http://born-robotic.net/stuff/dw3/KrylHlar_Turnaround.mov
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great little character, really neat. I think xnormal did a good job for your final renders, I probably shouldve used xnormal, how did you get both the character and the base into xnormal? didnt they have seperate textures and models? I thought xnormal could only display one model at a time?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Ged.
    You can load multiple models in Xnormal, just leave them all checked in the low poly model area, then in the 3D viewer window, the first box becomes a dropdown list, so you can select each loaded model, and tell it what textures to use.
    Xnormal is really a great little program, seems you can do about anything you'd want to do with it, but sometimes finding how to do it is a bit strange due to the unusual interface, heh.

I tried doing the video capture thingy in the viewport to get an Xnormal rendered 360, but it just outputted a 1fps avi video... don't really know how to configure that and get a better result.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Hah, creazy thing:)
    Maybe color could be more interested looking, ya know, some color dots, specles etc..
    But I like it!:)
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice model! I like the creature.... looks funny!
    Bal wrote: »
    I tried doing the video capture thingy in the viewport to get an Xnormal rendered 360, but it just outputted a 1fps avi video... don't really know how to configure that and get a better result.
    Try to use the XViD MPEG-4 codec that comes with the xNormal installer. Use the default settings with the "Display encode status" off. Uncompressed frames are usually too slow because need to save a great amount of data to the disk. Notice XviD is only available in the x86 version ( x64 is unsupported by the moment ).

To get better speed make sure you use the 3D viewer in windowed mode. If you need it in fullscreen mode better disable the antialiasing.

I hope it helps.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, thanks jogshy! I'll try again later and see if I can get a better result. I'm really loving Xnormal, sure made my life easier for DW3.

Levus, yeah I really wish I could have spent more time on the color map, to get more of the color variations you can see on real rocky layers.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice, like your style there! Good Job!
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    This is so cool, the character is just something different from what you usually see, and his butt is awesome I might say.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hah, thanks for the comments guys. =)
    Yeah my girlfriend looked at me funny when I was sculpting that fine butt in zbrush, heh.