Home Technical Talk

zbrush 3.1 rotation pivot

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
ok i have a simple prolem

i want to sculpt with symetry=on both hands AND have the rotationcenter set somewhere inside one of the hands

how do i do that?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i'd just mask off to a single hand, sculpt on that, then unmask all, mask off the other hand and use Smart Resym...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I would hide everything but the two hands, click and highlight the "Local" button that's both to the right of your canvas, and in the quick menu that pops up when you right click. That makes the camera pivot around wherever you last used your brushes.

While using symmetry, of course.

As MoP suggests would also work, but I only use smart resym if I've somehow managed to do extensive sculpting and forgot to use symmetry. Happens sometimes when I'm very tired. Smart resym is sometimes a bit buggy for me.

[EDIT] Oh, and of course when I use stencils and need the result to be mirrored, then smart resym is darn handy.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    damit east.. i´v tryed to figure out how this local-button works..

THX man!!!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As MoP suggests would also work, but I only use smart resym if I've somehow managed to do extensive sculpting and forgot to use symmetry. Happens sometimes when I'm very tired. Smart resym is sometimes a bit buggy for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried taking it to the lowest sub-d level, smart resyming there, then resyming each sub-d level up to the top? I've been lucky to not have a lot of problems with it, but that worked when it has come up.

(edit) keyword "not" in "not have a lot of" is pretty important there blush.gif
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    Have you tried taking it to the lowest sub-d level, smart resyming there, then resyming each sub-d level up to the top? I've been lucky to have a lot of problems with it, but that worked when it has come up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I haven't, but I'll give it a try next time I need it. Thanks for the tip smile.gif
  • realityV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its pretty simple, just turn on Local Transformations. (its right there in the vertical toolbar on the right of the canvas). I have it set to hotkey ctrl+L. Wherever you're brush touched last will become the pivot point.

While MoP's method will work fine, it does raise the possibility of killing the symmetry beyond what smart resym can fix if you're sculpting and you're completely unaware of what's happening across x. Sometimes this happens, plus you need to resym for each subD level. I find Local Trans much easier. Be sure to hide the rest of the model, then make your hands into a polygroup of their own so you can access them easily. Then sculpt with Local Trans on.