Home General Discussion

new NIN - Ghosts I-IV

DH_
DH_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DH_ polycounter lvl 18
I know there's some other NIN fans on this board, so if you're one of them, then you'll be happy when I say that TR just put up 4 (4!!!!) albums of new music on nin.com. You can download the first album for free, or pay 5$ for the whole thing. There's also the fancy pants 75$ version and the super fancy pants limited edition signed by TR 300$ version.

It's all instrumental stuff, which is something I've wanted to hear ever since the 2nd Still cd, and it's pretty good from what I've listened to so far, though I'd hardly argue I'm a non-biased source.

woot!

http://ghosts.nin.com/

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, I'll have to remember to check this out later. If I like the first CD, I'll pay $5 for the rest smile.gif
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My head just exploded
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this earlier today and downloaded the free stuff after not really being interested in NIN since the Downard Spiral, and I've got to say Im really impressed.

The songs are much more interesting than the NIN stuff I had heard snippets of from other albums/ singles - the soundscape stuff reminds me of Coil or even bits from Mogwai or Sunn O))) in there ability to conjure landscapes and imaginary environments in my head.

New/ old convert here!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Someone emailed this around at work but I haven't been able to download it, it seems like their site is getting hammered pretty hard.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    had the same problem with Radiohead's In Rainbows, I wasn't able to download the album until a few days later. Fortunately someone here had the free album and I copied it, I'm digging it so far.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, it seems like every time I get sick, new NIN comes out.
    Anyways, I'll try to convince my brother to buy this because he has money.
    BTW, does Reznor play saxophone in this? He's pretty damned good at it.
    It mentions something about "Instrumental"
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also;
    He really needs to start doing soundtracks for movies.
    Well, when they start coming out with more good movies, that is.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    jimmies, yea reznor can play the sax. I've heard of him playing it at some of his shows before. The Purest Feeling albums had some sax on them too if I remember right. I think it was what he played in highschool band?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, first instrument or something.
    And I noticed it on purest feeling as well.
    Also, he did a live show with bowie where he played sax and bowie sang.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fuck, 93% and timed out, now it wont start again mad.gif
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Listened to the first volume. Pretty cool. I think he's working towards his strengths in building soundscapes instead of traditional lyric based songs. Glad to see he's doing what he wants to now that he's free from his contract. The record companys would never release something like this.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster - same here, and it's a one off download from the receipt. I reckon the servers are getting hammered.

Downloading the torrent instead.

Did the same with the new Nick Cave album - it was supposed to be here from Amazon today, it wasn't.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My download was really slow and kept failing so I just downloaded a torrent. NIN still got the money, I get my music, everyone is happy.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff...I liked a few things off of with teeth..but for the most part was disappointed..this has alot of potential thouhg..will prolly pick it up
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt the same. I agree that these would make great game background tracks, but as for music, it didn't really excite me :/
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. You can also get it from Amazon at the same price, no idea what their cut will be though.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Got it through amazon. Total kudos on breaking the music industry formula for this release.

I've been waiting for Trent to do an instrumental project ever since hearing A Warm Place off of The Downward Spiral.

Now that it's here, I can say I'm a bit dissappointed. I wish there were more 'soundtrack' type tracks like 28. Overall, I feel it's a bit too 'loopish'.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm really enjoying it, great working music
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, now that I've had more time to digest it a bit I think it's great working/background music. I hope this is just the first of more music in this vein from Reznor.

for the people having download problems -

"Dear Customer,

Due to overwhelming response, you probably have experienced technical difficulties purchasing or downloading your copy of Ghosts I-IV. We are currently working diligently to address these issues, and will do everything in our power in ensure that your download will be successfully completed. We expect to have the problems resolved by 9am Tuesday, Mar 4.

If you have hit your download limit, we will be resetting the download attempts as we resolve the technical issues within the next 24 hours.

We do apologize, and thank you for your interest and response to our offerings to the fans of nine inch nails."

people are reporting that speeds are good and the site is stable.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just replaced Massive Attack as my flavour of the month for working music. Very very good.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Downloading... the nin Quake ambient tracks are still some of my favs.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It is nice to see this, and it's pretty refreshing after "Year Zero" which barely even appealed to me. I'm really enjoying track 34 right now.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Downloading... the nin Quake ambient tracks are still some of my favs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not listened to those in years. I probably don't have the CD any longer.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I heard the samples and Still and The Fragile came to mind, I was pretty much sold. One of the better ambient releases of the last year, I think. Although I've yet to listen to II-IV, except for what I've heard in the streaming player. Now to track down someone with Visa...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the albums were released under the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike license, which is a pretty awesome thing for someone as established as Trent Reznor to do if you ask me. My kudos to Trent for being so open with this release.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    i think its best to wait and download it from the site if you want to support this movement. Help prove that this business model works... and works better than the record industry. When a band puts their record on a website for free. Download it from their website, not torrents.

The Splash, i'm not talking about you cause atleast you trid, gave email and all that. Just saying in general it's the only way to support this movement.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best way to support it would be to pay the $5 at amazon :P Then it shows people are still willing to pluck down money for good music at a good price.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be interested to see how much cash they make off this - as I recall the Niggy Tardust experiment wasn't quite the success they had hoped for.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think its best to wait and download it from the site if you want to support this movement. Help prove that this business model works... and works better than the record industry. When a band puts their record on a website for free. Download it from their website, not torrents.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I couldn't. I paid for it and the download failed, so then I got the torrent. It's win-win for them: they get my money, they know I wanted it, and I was one less person using their bandwidth.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reznor: Only 18% Paid For 'Niggy Tardust'

According to Reznor, since Nov. 1, 154,449 people had downloaded the record; of those, 28,322, or 18.3%, chose to pay anything for it. Of those paying, 3220 chose 192kbps MP3, 19,764 chose 320kbps MP3 and 5338 chose FLAC.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003691881
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More news:

http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2008/03/04/nin-ghosts/

[ QUOTE ]

The $300 “ultra deluxe edition” of Nine Inch Nails‘ Ghosts I-IV, limited to 2500 copies, sold out in a couple days (I believe released Sunday, no longer available this morning). There are some manufacturing costs, but they don’t appear to be using any precious materials. So if an artist typically makes $1.60 on a $15.99 CD sale, profit from sales of the limited edition already matches profit from a CD selling hundreds of thousands of copies.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Notman: Apparently Trent put up a Torrent of the tracks - the first 8 anyway - I can't remember the exact link but I'll have a look.

This business model is also trying to let the artist retain as much of the proceeds as possible so downloading it from Amazon and paying them there share seems to go against what he was trying to achieve with this release. Paying for the album on their site then downloading it for free somewhere else because your download fails seems fine to me.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I received mine through the torrent. Even though the torrent tracks don't entertain me like some of his previous releases, I still think I'm going to purchase the rest. They aren't bad tracks, just nothing I'd pop into my car. I'd only use them as background tracks while working on things.

Rick: yeah, according to those numbers, they'd have to sell over 468,000 CDs to match the profit of the $300 packages. Of course, that's assuming the $300 is all profit. That's pretty staggering either way. Great business model/idea.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting...

Teiten on ETS (who is confirmed to be Reznor) posted -

"A few quick things...

None of this music - not one note - was written before we started this in October.
    This is not in place of YZ2 - that will come along when it's ready - there are more elements involved.
    The "no titles" will make more sense next week. Huh?"

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/pr...a71fb9daf5b455f

I guess something Ghosts related will happen this week then? Who knows.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I'd guess we haven't heard the end of Ghosts anyway by how he states "I hope you enjoy the first 4 volumes of Ghosts" on the official site.
    Hopefully the later volumes are less "progressive loops" and more actual written music. I like these first 4 volumes the way they are for what they are, but anymore just like it would diminish credibility I think.

Wonder what's happening next week?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I finally got to download the first volume. I like it. Fav track is probably the first one with the piano.
    Not sure if I'd buy the rest, though. Maybe.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    frohm theh whebsight

"So here's the plan: we've teamed up with YouTube to host a "film festival" around Ghosts. The concept is for you to take whatever tracks you feel inspired by from Ghosts and create what you feel should accompany them visually. You will be able to see all of the submissions, and a team of us (including me) will be sorting through them and setting aside ones we feel are exceptional. Eventually (within a couple of months?) we will present a virtual "film festival" with me and some special guests presenting selections of your work."
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't Incubus do the same thing where fans created music videos for one of their songs?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this from two months ago.

Trent Reznor announced the actual sales figures from the first week of their self released Ghosts. No idea if this is pre/post expenses, etc.etc.etc....

He states they made 1.6 Million US dollars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/03/13/nine-inch-nails-ghosts-i-iv-makes-trent-reznor-an-instant-millionaire/
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sounds like enough money to me