Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Kyler M - Invoker

This is my idea for an invoker. It's artifact is the little fire monkey on his shoulder. I haven't quite worked out the story, but the idea is that these two got into a fight, and through some unforeseen event ended up being bound to one another.

The monkey is supposed to be some kind of descendant of the fire god that was awakened after the last dominance war. The idea is that the monkey is an impulsive, mischievous creature. But, when combined with the ambition of a human, they became a powerful invoker.

As for the look, the right side of his shoulder armor has become twisted metal from the fight between him and the monkey. He also suffered sever burns so the lack of skin makes the muscle stand out more. His hands are turning into some kind of lava rock, the monkey has the same thing on his hands, but it might be hard to see. And yes, the monkey looks kinda freakish because of the face, but I want to make sure it didn't look like just a normal monkey.

I'm still not completely sold on the concept yet, so crits and comments would help smile.gif
dominancewarconceptspread.jpg

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start. The character works quite well though he feels a little generic. The little golden lion tamarin is currently the most interesting aspect and features strongly in your background information, so perhaps you could run with the monkey theme. Maybe he's a shaman who reveres the monkeys and paints his face up in a similar fashion or some such.
  • EvanG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanG polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Kyler, glad to see you finally posted your concept. I like the idea of the monkey being a god. I could see you doing something cool with the monkey like sitting on a floating throne throwing fire dung. haha kidding about the dung but i think the monkey could be cool enough to stand as his own character. Just a thought keep on trucking.
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    What Up Kyler. I Dig the concept of the little monkey, That new concept you where working on is definitely going in the right direction. The only thing about this one is the silhouette of the lower part of the body its just too cylindrical, making it uninteresting but, We already talked about that though.. Though that new concept up, though was looking good man.
  • Kyler M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's the new concept. Going more of the monkey is the one pulling the strings and the creature is more the monkey's conduit of power. The throne needs more detail, I plan on making it very shiny and elaborate. The creature is the monkey's slave and basically carries him around. The large chunks of he body are supposed to be like the hardened rock from a lava flow, that is slowly covering his body. I plan on pushing the asymmetry more, but still a work in progess, as always crits would be helpful grin.gif
    dominancewarconcept3copy.jpg

dominancewarconcept4copy.jpg
  • Kyler M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. I've got the slave character's hi poly done and I'm currently doing the low poly. The monkey isn't quite done, I still need to add the fur and give his face, arms and legs a bit more detail. DomwarSlaveupdate.jpg