Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Question: Prop Modeling

I have a student that wants to create his portfolio in low poly prop modeling, anyone have a suggestion for him on what his webpage should look like? for a entry level position / Internship?

Also I have a student that does character modeling, that would save me a post..LOL Thanks Everyone!!

Replies

• Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well im in same position as ur student. People have been telling me number

1.) 1st page should be his gallery
    2.) clear navigation
    3.) bright renders, with multiple angles and wires

hers mine (far from perfect) but been taking peoples suggestions and working on it
    http://willtruran.com/
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    www.ghostscape.com got me my job as a prop artist (although that definition has become a bit more loose over the course of the project smile.gif

I'm not fond of how small the pictures are and will probably re-do it at some point into a one-page portfolio but that won't be for a while.

In general, things you want to consider -
    user should see the portfolio immediately. No splash screens/news pages/whatever. Straight to the gallery
    The portfolio should be focused towards getting a job/showing off work related to that job. Keep your blog and your experimental music on a different site.
    Images should be branded and easily saved (no flash websites!)
    If you aren't good enough to already have a job, obscuring your models/textures with full-image watermarks is ridiculous.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    There's an article called Your Portfolio Repels Jobs that is usually recommended when people ask for portfolio advice, so I'll get that out of the way.

I have about 70 3d portfolios bookmarked that I look at from time to time to keep me inspired. Maybe it's a bit obvious, but you (or the student) should take some time browsing game art forums like this one for portfolios that are relevant to their own. I think the article covers the rest.
  • joshjoneswol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have passed that on to the student, thank you everyone!!, see if we can't get some ports out here you all can be excited about!!....Chat soon!!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Josh take a look through the Pimping section for the past couple weeks, there have been a lot of posts about proper Portfolios and how to do them. Should help out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have a student

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just out of curiousity because it's kind of confusing between this thread and your other thread : Are you a student at the school or a faculty member? I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, it's just unclear (to me at least) with the way things were worded.