Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Pangarang

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone. Here's a character building project I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. Just looking to get some general feedback and some tips if anyone sees areas I could use some help in.

skaterwiresnv2.jpg
skatertxtap4.jpg
72515410yh0.jpg

This is a 12-14 year old kid done in a more cartoony, exaggerated style. Hence the big shoes, biggish hands, smaller shoulders. Total polycount including props is 10,000 while the character alone is 6300.

I'm trying to keep the base mesh for this character under 7000 polys, not counting the props. Next up, the posessed nun.

nunguidekq2.jpg

WIREFRAMES
nunwiressq5.jpg
nuntk0.jpg
nunheadwireskh0.jpg
48438848ti1.jpg

She is an unholy nun of a Satanic church. The style here is exaggerated realism. Really skinny, starving body, long bony fingers, knobby knees, yet posed in a seductive manner. Contradicts the nature of a true nun and to our perception of beauty.

My main goal for her is to show off my familiarity with certain dynamics like gravity (chains), nCloth (dress), and fire dynamics (a part of pedestal). Because nCloth eats up polys, my polylimit is a little higher than I would otherwise set for my characters, sitting at 7500 - 8000. I estimate the entire scene including props to be around 15,000 polys.

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I have a question regarding the possessed nun; why isn't the pentagram on her belt inverted? Also, the belt seems kind of out of place; is that part of a nun's attire (I'm asking, I really don't know). Her breasts seem a bit flattened, as well. This could be a really cool piece if you stay at it.
  • KonamiCode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonamiCode polycounter lvl 18
    While I really love the model of the skateboard kid, he doesn't feel all that cartoony or exaggerated. Your proportions are still fairly realistic. The poly flow on it is great though, and I love those poses. Just dreading the feeling you'd get from skateboarding with such a huge backpack. smile.gif
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great dude. A agree about the nun's belt. I think ,even though over done, a pendant would fit better.

But great job on textures/models
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thank you for your critiques and comments. One thing i forgot to mention - the textures aren't complete. I'm currently revising the textures and creating bump and spec maps for these characters. I will keep updating as I make progress.

I also have a third character who i've kept in the dark cause i'm deeply ashamed at how I've neglected him, lol. Graduation requirements are 3 characters. Each one has to be modeled, uved, textured (with spec and normal/bump maps included), rigged, skinned and animated. And we have 11 weeks! The typical result is 2 good characters and 1 ugmo one. Not that its an excuse for me, but I have given my third character alot less attention than these two frown.gif But he's making progress and I'll add him onto this thread soon enough.

Again thanks for taking the time to critique my work. I've tried posting on the cgsociety forums but sofar have gotten no feedback at all.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Did a high res render of my skater character. Gave it as a poster to employers at my portfolio show, but i printed off too many, still have a couple extras lying around.

posterrender2me1.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your characters have a very nice form and concept but it looks like you could have done without so many polys behind the skater's knees. his legs are bent anyhow so you could just get away with textures/ normals representing the creases. I could say the same for the skater's face but it may just be the distance of the render, just looks like you have way more polys than needed. I could be wrong on that tho cause it looks the same on your nun but close up there isnt really anything you seem to be able to do without, except for the dense ring around the lips and a ring or two around the eyes. I do like the emphasis of her emblem but I think it would be suited better on a strip of cloth insteald of a belt. like a knight's tabard. you wouldnt have to change the mesh much, I would just convert the belt mesh into more of a sash and a strip of planes running down her chest, tucked behind her belt. I know you were aiming for an alcolyte look for her but the large belt looks like a weightlifter's backbrace, and she doesnt look like she can do too many powerlifts. anyhow thats just how I see it as. keep it up and I cant wait to see your third character
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for that well rounded critique GsKanible. You're definitely not hte first person to say that about the wrestler's belt, lol - on this forum or in real life. The only reason it's stuck was time constraints for the whole graduation deal. But I fully agree with the belt for sure.

Got some samples of newer work I've done since then. I realize I don't have enough props on my website so I'm starting a little prop project, and another character. Here are some pics.

airconditioner1uf9.jpg
    mask3br5.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice radiator :)

and the face looks really good as well, I am having a lil difficulty making faces, but I am familar with how the edge loops work. one pattern I've seen work and I try sticking to is there is a loop that goes across the bridge of the nose, down the side of the cheek and comes up below the bottom lip, as shown below. I jsut dont the skill to make refined detail in faces like youv'e accomplished
    l_5dbdd8e04de52ea48e16353b380c3753.jpg
    also you can just call me GsK or kanible :p Kanible is my online name for everything but couldnt use it here on polycount

anyhow hope that helps
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, kanible it is :)

Thanks for the edge loop reference - I've got that same picture lying around somewhere in my reference pic folders, lol.

One thing I should point out with modeling faces - just like drawing or any art form, the rules aren't set in stone as to how the loops should flow. The one never changing rule is that the edge loops should be optimized for deformation of the face. If you're designing a character who, for example, doesn't blink but can open his mouth really wide, polys that would otherwise be around the eyes should be distributed to the loops around his mouth and nose so the deformation there would occur with less stretching.

But with a generic face model like the example I posted, then yeah, what you're saying makes total sense. As always, your feedback is muchly appreciated.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, just like drawing or any art form, the rules aren't set in stone quote]

I completely agree, had something like that written out but forgot to add it when I revised my post. as I said I've seen that loop work and personally I try to stick with it
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a wip digital painting piece I'm working on. Not really sure where to take it at this point. Creativity just stopped working all of a sudden.

wipxf6.jpg
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    That skater guy looks incredible! I love the proportions, they're just a bit exagerated and not really overblown. I've tried drawing that kind of figure more than once but it wasn't quite right but you just nailed it.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, gr9yfox.

I can't stress how important it is to have a solid reference picture to model off of. Cause the skater kid had a good drawing that I worked from. that's the only reason i think he turned out the way he did, so thanks for noticing that.

here's an update of my radiator.

roomqy2.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another piece I've been working on.

alien3bc7.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a little something more I've been working on. Lots of modeling done but not nearly as much drawing .... :( Anyway, hope you guys like it.

roomy4nb8.jpg

Decided to throw in my skater character to give it a little more life ...
    roomerstf2.jpg

Still needs lots of props to fill it up though.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some more updates on my room. Hope you guys like it, and critiques are always welcome and appreciated!

roomytn5.jpg
    dorm1wi2.jpg

Adding some base textures.
    dorm2ho0.jpg

Here's a new character painting I just started.
    onehk7.jpg
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Some things to add to your room to fill it up more:
    chest of draws
    waste basket
    closet
    skate tool on table
    rug on floor next to bed (wood floors are frikn cold in the morning)
    posters on wall above computer (skate posters maybe)
    game console

Check the size proportions in room to your character. If the character is a kid the objects in the room may be bigger than he is. example that skate board is huge compared to the desk even the widest skateboards are not that big. compare size proportions of objects in the room and adjust them based on that.

window needs to be a sliding window or have a frame of some kind to hold the window pane.
    poster board above the bed is huge compared to everything else.

I know you may already have some of these things in your updated version that you have not posted yet, just trying to help.

looking good tho, I am making a room right now for work and I feel your pain. The character is nice and I like some of the action poses you have been giving it.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to more updates.
    Are you a skateboarder?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Slingshot,

Thanks for the prop ideas. I'm trying to squeeze all the props and furnitues into 1 UV map, maximize the hell out of that UV space (and UVing eats up ALOT of time!). It'll probably be a 2048 map. I'm slightly surprised that the door looking thing didn't strike you as a closet - cause it is :P I guess it's the awkward angle I've got it at. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope this piece will show that I am not limited to characters, that I can do props too!

Lol, I'm not a skater, I'm about the farthest thing from one as you can imagine. I've always admired the skater culture though. The urban art, the movement, crazy posing, youthful exuberance, fashion sense, everything.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little scifi environment I've been working on this week. It's based on an environment art test provided by Next Level Games. I have to say my workflow was alot faster without thinking about what to make and where to put it.

saywhatsd9.jpg

Here's the concept picture they provided.

environmentcolorfn0.jpg

It's looking a little too symmetrical at this point, I'm gonna have to add those cables to mix things up a little. Can anyone see anything else I can do to improve on this?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work so far, on your concept theres one unit thats been pulled out of the wall a bit that would help get rid of symettry. The s shape in the panel on the lower wall on the left might help too. The other thing that needs work is the lighting, are you going to match the lighting in the concept? yellowish focused on the floaty ball with luminance map for the lights on the wall? In terms of texture colours their concept has alot more of the metallic desaturated blue youve only got on the floor, in fact you seem to have quite a different colour scheme going compared to the concept. Why not just stick to the concepts colour scheme?
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff so far! nice models definitely. i just can't help thinking that i would hate to be that skater kid sleeping under such a big a/c unit above the bed! he better pray for no earthquake or loose screws!

as for the new environment concept you're working on, there seems to be more grime and wear and tear on certain elements of the walls and ground that would add more to the overall feel and look. definitely lighthing needs work as Ged mentioned and i agree with opening some panels and adding the cables and wires seen in the actual concept.

where's the floating sphere?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged

Thanks for the excellent critiques. The difference in colour scheme is a by-product of me tampering too much with the textures without constantly referring back to the reference. I will be fixing that up for more critiques. There's still quite abit left to do with this piece before I can consider it done.

@Illybang

You're right, that air conditioning unit is in an extrememly dangerous spot, lol, my lack of research and knowledge is to blame there. As for the scifi room, you're right, the lighting needs lots of work. Aka, the lighting needs to be STARTED, lol. I've made some progress with this piece since posting but no big changes to post an update. I'll be putting it up here as soon as I'm done.

Meanwhile, I took a break from these environments to render out some of the props I'd done previously. I'll be posting them on my portfolio website to replace those INCREDIBLY OUTDATED props I have on there right now. Here they are for your critiques! Thanks for all the comments sofar, keep em coming!

axelp1.jpg
    bencheu1.jpg
    skateboardft4.jpg
    skullke2.jpg

And also, to keep up with my drawing (I've been doing proportionately ALOT more 3D work), I did this piece in Photoshop. About 1 hour. I need to bring my drawing up to speed ... also any tips on rendering organics in Photoshop would be muchly appreciated. My skills aren't quite where I'd like them to be :(

faceto3.jpg
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one reminds me of battlefield 2142. Excellent work!

Here's a little scifi environment I've been working on this week. It's based on an environment art test provided by Next Level Games. I have to say my workflow was alot faster without thinking about what to make and where to put it.

saywhatsd9.jpg

Here's the concept picture they provided.

environmentcolorfn0.jpg

It's looking a little too symmetrical at this point, I'm gonna have to add those cables to mix things up a little. Can anyone see anything else I can do to improve on this?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the comment, Ironwolf!

I've updated the bedroom scene I posted earlier in the thread. I'd love to hear some critiques from you guys. Here goes.

roomic3.jpg

And here's an update of hte scifi room with some extra details added in, and the lighting too.

scifi2sw4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the renders both look a bit blurry and a little bit too low quality jpg too, do you render with max? use catmull rendering its crisper and dont optimise the jpgs too much like 75% is fine for me.

I dont think the lighting in either of the pieces is really showing off the quality of your work, the bedroom scene needs more ambient lighting the desk and tv cabinet looks like a black blob to me. The sci fi room has got very flat lighting and isnt nicely drawing your focus to the ball like in the concept, a soft round spotlight pointed at that corner and one light where the ball is should be enough.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey you finally got that room done nice! I agree with Ged on the fact the room is a little too dark and that it needs some sort of extra ambient lighting. Otherwise it didn't turn out half bad! keep pumping the work out.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged - I rendered the shots with mental ray in maya to 620 x 480 size. Saved them as lower quality for the forum to avoid slowing down people's download speeds. But you make a valid point that I could use better plugins to render with. Thanks for those comments on the lighting, and I will be sure to play around with the lighting in both scenes some more.

@ Slingshot - I'm glad to hear the room didn't turn out too bad. After wasting ALOT of time judging every little thing (and making little changes here and there), I was starting to feel that the improvements I made didn't proportionately reflect the time I was spending scrutinizing it. So after awhile I said enough was enough and forced myself to move on and light it. I will definitely get some ambient lighting in there because now that I look at it with fresher eyes (I've been working on yet another project in the meantime), you and Ged are spot on with your comments so I thank you for that.

I'll update as soon as I have something noticably better to show for both pieces. Meanwhile, here is a WIP shot of that aforementioned project (rendered at a bigger size this time). Crit away!

mmhmmst5.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    You need one of those water things where horses drink :)

A water tower in the background or on the roof would look nice too
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its a wee bit early to tell what's the entire story about but yeah I'd totally look into more of what goes into a town like such then go further along with it...so far most of the objects seem generic...

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/california/panamint/panamint.htm

Some little ideas to "break" things up in yer scene...
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolling out another environment eh.

Only 3 crits so far:
    1- Covered wagon looks really small, usually two people can face each other with their knees bent. Wagon tarp looks too small.
    2- barrel looks small compared to the guy too.
    3- I would make the horse hitching post like this: http://natchez-trace.thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/hitching-post-and-picnic-table-at-trailhead.jpg
    it is more of a traditional horse post than the one you have which looks to modern.

Allthough both #'s 1&2 of my crits can be shrugged off due to what the wagon or barrel are used for.

Idea: get a perfect side view of a horse and put it on a flat plain and put it in your scene next to your hitch post, wagon, person to compare size/ proportions. I think they used quarter horses back then.

Looks good so far tho other than those small things.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the suggestions guys!

I've been having time away from my personal projects, getting a full time job and all. But I don't want to let my personal portfolio lag behind so here we go with an updated image. There's alot of things I'd love to fix in this scene, but I'd like to hear what people have to say first, if they see the same things as me :p

booll1.jpg
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey looking good!

Just Two crit's, change some of the doors to be a different color and their frames to match the building color a little more. I noticed the doors are using all the same texture in the bottom right picture cell almost right away because of the bright white color.

The light color of the frames makes the doors look too wide even tho they are the right size
    looks nice tho.

Your little town is coming along nice tho, looking forward to the final on this.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving back onto the characters - sort of gave up on the western scene for now due to lack of drive/inspiration/etc ...

</excuses>

Returned to my character roots and came up with this guy. Any crits welcome of course.

frankgk4.jpg

ballin5zx7.jpg

baller2te1.jpg

testvb7.jpg
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak polycounter lvl 10
    Fuckin yea! I lixs the scifi stufffff pretty good keep it up with it
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the encouragement, dbreak!
    Here's something a little new - tried doing this in Zbrush, which I find - character models seem to look much better in Zbrush than Maya. Wonder whats up with that.

62099898og8.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been awhile since i updated this thing ... AND, it seems i'm lacking some pictures of finished projects! Might have to fix that. But for now here's another WIP :P

So I want something like this:

inspiration.jpg

Base model here:

picv.jpg

Sort of progressed model here:

katarina.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some drawings i've done lately.

smallzatana.jpg

headsq.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more works. clearly the ear needs to be tweaked lol.

huhq.jpg
    huh2b.jpg

I think it takes a turn for the worst in this latest version. Have to take the time over the long weekend to fix this.

huh4d.jpg

Any advice is muchly appreciated.

Also an environment piece.

rendered2.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some other drawings, more of this and that.

screamg.jpg
    genta.jpg