Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swordman

HI all. Just a new model I finished. Crits and Comments are most welcome. To see more of this model and my full demo reel
www.genghiskwan.com
Swordmanrender0000.jpg

Swordmanrender0144.jpg

Replies

• _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    It may be a stylistic clash of opinions but the way you distributed the detail bothers me. The problem is not on the model wich seems to be well done, it's right from the concept. The way you made the concept and gave all the detail to the armor and sword makes his face seem flat in comparison.

Sorry to bash you like this in your first comment.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Your concept art is really great, but your models fall flat.

The specular maps make him look like plastic/pleather.

The smoothing groups make everything too round with no defined shapes.

The normal maps don't seem to be doing anything useful.

The diffuse is is alright, but it needs some consistency in producing interest - right now I find myself liking the style of the leather, but the blue armor leaves something to be desired. The face also looks very flat in comparison.

There seems to be some UVW stretching on his shirt/jacket.

Last but definitely not least, there are wasted polys all over this model! Especially on the sword, hips, hands, feet, arms and hair.

Take it one step at a time - don't try to finish a model until you've mastered the basics. You have the concept art down, next you have to understand the fundamentals of creating 3D models for games before moving on to complex shaders, like normal mapping.
  • GenghisKwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh kk thx for the reply and comments. I will take them into consideration and do a better job on next model.