Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arabian Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I'm doing this piece to add some color to my portfolio and to do something different. Thanks for taking a look! arabiandaysmi5.th.jpg
arabianjf9.th.jpg

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm the pictures are too small...
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    very colorful good choice smile.gif
  • Duchess Of Dork
    Beautiful, I can't wait to see it textured.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm done modeling and I've started to unwrap it.
    94974409la6.th.jpg
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • xxbrightliesxx
    in my personal opinion, it seems like you haven't decided to model it high poly or low poly you are in between right now, which makes it if ur doing low poly there's alot of places u can save on and make others areas look nicer.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I kind of have to agree with you bright... i was looking at it today and was thinking to myself... is this high poly or low poly... and i wasn't sure. I'm almost done texturing it so I'll have to back and add more poly's because I think I want this to be a higher poly piece.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking good, the textures are starting to shape up nicely.

One thing that will help you match concept art more closely when blocking out your next environment is to set your render size to the same size as your concept art, then right click your viewport label and turn on "Show Safe Frame". Now any viewport grab or render you do can be overlayed onto the concept art and you can see where things line up. You can also set the concept as the background image for that viewport (ALT-B to pick image, right click viewport name to show BG) and turn your mesh see-though to make lining things up even easier.

I think it hurt the scene a little bit that you are working with a widescreen aspect ratio but the concept isn't. So when you line things up with the edge edges of your screen they won't align. I think the biggest detail the gate in the background is being minimalized in your scene when its the focal point of the concept. Right now the window is stealing center stage when it should be much smaller and off to the left.

As for the scene being caught between high and low, I think the scene is low poly and needs some optimization, if you did that, you could afford a few polys to round out some of the sharp corners with bevels, adding bevels will also help you control shading issue =)

Looking good keep up the good work and keep those things in mind for the next go around =)
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig for another great critique! If there's anyone in polycount that seems to always have a great, detailed, honest critique it's you.

Fitting my work space with the concept is a great idea, and I will do that next time.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm as finished as I can get this for now.

arabianfinal02vq6.th.png
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool.
    But as to me it seems a bit too much plain color thing, it lacks some more texture feeling in it I guess. Also in some cases shading could be more ellaborated. for example, white tower might need some just under the cupola.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Although it matches the concept farily well...see what you can do with that sky...it is not cutting that well for sky background though it is like that on the reference.

Nice composition.