Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII- BradMyers82-Deceivour

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to DWIII, and judging by what I have seen so far I'm gonna definetly need some help to keep up with some of the talents here.
The model below is what I have been working on, but I fear that I may have gotten into modeling way too quick, and should have done a lot more 2d art first, to work out a solid concept.

Honestly what do you guys think should I go back to the drawing board? My feelings won't be hurt, just please give me your full on opinion.

P.S. That torso section is supposed to be like exposed organs and stuff, and I was thinking about using somthing like this for the weapon.

WeaponConcept%20copy.jpg

DeceivourCloseFix.jpg

DeceivourBackedUpFix.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, screw it. I think I will go with an altogether new idea; I have kind of lost interest in this first concept.

Here is my new Concept. I decided he would be a stalker class, and have the ability to become invisible. I would like to incorporate this idea in my model somehow with an opacity map, making certain parts more visible than others, and possibly showing through to bone and organs in parts.
    Also, checking out what some other people have done, one person commented on how he noticed a lot of characters with really big upper bodies, so I decided to go with the opposite.
    I'm not completely sure what’s working and what’s not with this concept so far. Right now I like the chest area, top two arms, and possibly the head but I am unsure about the rest.
    I went with horse hooves because I wanted to do something a little unusual there too, but again, not sure if it works.
    Please hook me up with some good crits.
    New_Deceivour_Character.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Small Update to the last Concept Peice.
    Got rid of the feet and incorporated the invisable part to them. I am anxious to see what you guys think.
    New_Deceivour_Character02.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    First of all, I'd like to say that there's no such thing as too many concepts. Think of thumbnails as a cumulative effort, where your best idea will be a combination of various elements you've already produced. The greater the number and variety of your concepts, the more you have to draw from when you do your final design. So to begin with I'd recommend doing a few sheets of thumbnail concepts and then post'em; It's important to get critical feedback from an early stage.

That being said, I think you've got something here to work with. I think you were right to shy away from your first concept, as in my opinion the super-gauntlets have been done to death. A big part of this competition is the originality of your design.

You've got some insect-like characteristics on both; the extra leg joints and the plating, 6 limbs, and the thin quality of the limbs in the model. I think you should push that, as right now your character just looks like a hodgepodge of disparate elements-- nothing's matching up. What I think would be interesting is if you incorporated the shield as part of the hand. So maybe the two upper arms flange out into these large shields that are part of the carapace, and then the two lower arms have the big blades that you've shown on the last sketch.
    Well, you get the idea. Welcome to Polycount.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That concept does not sing "stalker" to me. Stalker is a spy/assassin. Not trying to discourage you, just my 2 cents.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, well based on the comments I have went back and did some head concepts. I pretty much just tried to make each as different from the last as I could think of now.
    Keep in mind when looking at them, they will probably need armor or clothing of some type, so I can make them look more "stalker" looking with the outfit. However, probably the bigger guys won't fit too well, and in that case I could always change my theme if necessary.
    heads.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, I liked the mouth in 5, but not really anything else. So I worked out this concept here and I am finally pretty happy with this one. I would still like critiques though.

He has no eyes, just this glowing thing for the top of his head. The skin is supposed to look like its burned off towards the edges of the glowing part.

I was thinking that this guy could be a warlord who's artifact gives him the power of fire/lava but transformed him a bit, in the glowing areas (I intend to use this glowing theme for various parts of his body).
    New_Deceivour_04.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    One last sketch for tonight to flesh out some of my main ideas for now. I Will definetly have to do plenty more work, including armor as well.
    Initial Body sketch:
    Body_Deceivour04.jpg
  • Smooth_Criminal
    head looks good, for the body u can certainly do something better for the legs and arms.. use lots of refs.. smile.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, I think I may finally have a decent concept, however; I would still prefer critiques before I commit. So please help me out.
    P.S. I didn't have an avatar pic so for now I am going with this one for now.
    Deceivour05_WithMace_Front01%20copy.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Right lets see, 1st props for going nuts with ideas, it seems you have something now that could be an interesting model.
    I have to swy tho' there's still some anatomical issues, from the usual things, proportions and muscles, to combining foreign anatomy with proper anatomy.

Having said that, yeah this concept is worth exploring. I think in its current incarnation it'ds a little bit too busy. Lost of things going on but not really a coherent 'thing' yet.

What do you say about a paintover? My take on this idea, to show how certain elements would fit together in a better fashion? Just drop me a pm and let me know if you're interested.
    Remember tho' you can't use it 'as is' it's only a guide for you to play with. smile.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is a re-work of some of the porportions, and what I think is a better pose. I didn't bother putting all the time into shading here so its just basically flat colors. Based on the feed back here I will re-work it again untill I think I have it right. So please, critique...
    Deceivour_BetterAngle05BaseColor.jpg
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta say good job on having tons of ideas. It looks like your having trouble deciding where you wanna take him though. Its not so much that he has a lot of features, its that each one goes in a different direction.

Oh fooey, Yeah Pestibug said it about right. Saw that right after I posted this.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, I think that at the minute it's still lacking in focus a bit. There are loads of clashing ideas.

For your invisibility idea, how about considering not only invisibility, but chameleon aspects? Have the colouring and textures from your base leak up into the lower body.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright Brad, here's my sort of idea.

I've taken just a few focal points to keep the model from cluttering up too much.
    Mutating growth, fire element.

bradmyersgs6.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That looks pretty awsome man. I think I will rework this idea again. Try not to use too many seperate ideas, and make him more one. I'll see if I can go back and mabey incorporate some aspects from all of my concepts so far and this one here, without going to extremes with it like I did in my last concept (using just a few actual focal points like you said). This is inspirational stuff, so I should be able to come up with a better idea then I did prevously.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks again to Pestibug for helping me with that paintover, and the others that gave me critques here. I think I may have my concept down, but again I want feedback before I commit.
    I used a number of pestibug's ideas from the paint over and this is what I have so far...
    Deceivour06b%20copy.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    definitely improved!
    but i would change or drop this kneepad
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely getting tighter, but it's still a little bit jumbled up.

I think I se what you are going for with the different layers of the body, but they all seem to stop so abruptly. Why dont you bleed the edges a little more:

113060030076973600.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Made some small adjustments based on feedback.
    Is this more like what you are talking about Rick?
    When you said "Bleed" I wasn't sure if you ment to use the smudge brush and blend it more, or to actually make the skin more intertwined with the muscle part as well as the growth part. In any event, I tried to do a little of both here. Never the less, I think this is definitely better than before.

Deceivour06c.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think what he's saying is youve got;
    1- warped bit
    2- fire bit
    3- raw muscle bit
    4- bandaged bit
    and it would work better if they were all elements of one design, rather than 4 different designs one one figure.

maybe it would help to think about it this way.. he has no skin, so he has some bandages on, ok. When did all that warped stuff happen? before he was bandaged or after? if it happened after, would the bandaged all be so neatly tucked in under the warp or would the warp have ripped through them? if they were afterwards, might some be wrapped over the warped bit? What order did all this seperate stuff happen to him, and then you can start thinking about how to unify the design a bit
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, I see what you mean rooster. The bandages were actually meant originally as a protector for the armor. But as the character idea was adjusted, it covered more parts of his body, areas like his leg that now have no armor at all. I agree, the way it’s tucked in his crotch does make no sense, I think I did it this way to avoid nudity. To fix this, I think I will make the warped part grow over the crotch area. This way it will make more sense and with no nudity.

My question is, do you think this will resolve the unity issue?

The idea of this character now is that he was some kind of ork looking monster or something. He came across this mace that gives him incredible power but it is destroying him, and actually beginning to control him (like nemesis from Spiderman). The mace is actually beginning to change him into something that is similar to the mace itself. So his skin peeling off (to show muscle), the fire parts, and the warped parts have all been gradually happening since he picked up the mace. The bandages were on before he even found the mace.

Maybe I will make it look like some of the bandages that come in contact with the warped part have exploded due to stretching from the warped part.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, here it is modified again. I took roosters advice this time and did something about the bandages in the crotch area, so it makes more sense.
    I think I adressed the issue... please let me know.
    Deceivour06e.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, I am pretty happy with this, so unless anyone else has any suggestions I am going to get to work on a base mesh now.

So, final suggestions for the concept phase at this time would be much appreciated.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, I started roughing in the form for a base mesh last night, but when I was laying in bed falling asleep I started having a rush of a bunch of concepts go through my head. I drew one of the ones that stook out in my head from last night this morning in like 30 minutes, and somehow I think it might be better than what I have been working on all this time.
    I will scan it and ask for feed back tonight when I get home from school.
    So I am going to really need some help as to which route I should go here real soon.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Seeking the popular vote is okay and all, but in the end the design's got to be something you want to work on over the span of the contest. Sounds like you're excited about the new one, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Good point Snowfly. But I do want to be carful and not jump the gun because I will be spending so much time doing this.
    Here is what I came up with this morning. I did the thumbnail first, then in the following order.
    Deamon01.jpgDeamonBody02.jpg
    Head:
    DeamonHead.jpg

I am still not sure what I wanted to do for the body, but I am leaning towards the version with the guy who walks on severed impailed heads.

I know I have to work out the hands and hips areas more but what do you guys think for now?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here's a quick version with a bit of clothing and armor.
    The thing on his back is a holster for his spear, but I have to figure out how the wings will connect in the back before I can position it right.
    DeamonWithClothes02.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here's a little work on the side view...
    DaemonSideVeiw_Head.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    oh my god that looks so much better than the previous version! only thing i would change would be that for the limbs (arms, but mainly legs) it would probably look more natural to have the knees/elbows in the middle. (so no superlong lowerlegs and supershort upperlegs) but that's just my oppinion.
    oh and i don't really understand how the head works wink.gif
    keep it up! coming together nicely!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks Japhir! Your actually the first one to give me a straight compliment, so I must be finally doing something right. Yeah, I will probably play with the porportions a bit before I start doing the base mesh and see what looks best.
    The head was more of a design initially, so I am currently working out in my sketches what it would look like in 3d with actual volume. As it stands his head is more of a hard surface, boney and skull like, with the bottom jaw torn out or completely missing. So he has these teeth like things hanging down below his nose, and a long tounge like thing that hangs all the way down in the center.

I am really just trying to make this guy as evil and deminted as I can. Someone in my school said he really liked the head for that reason, so I am trying to roll with it.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here are my initial attempts to get the proportions right for the head in photoshop, so I can build a base mesh.
    HeadProportions.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yep diggin the new one man!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm saying nothing, I like this, 'nuff said! laugh.gif
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks, Rooster and Pestibug. Yeah, I am glad I switched up my idea because my heart wasn't really in the other concept. I began working on a base mesh today, but was having some problems getting the general form, so I decided to just do a real quick mesh, bring it into Mudbox and do a concept sculpt.
    Here is what I have which I based off of the pencil concepts you have seen so far.
    I will now use this to make a standard base mesh.
    What do you guys think so far?
    Did I get the images pretty well nailed down in 3d for use with a base mesh, or have I missed something? I feel like I messed something up from the side view.
    I have been looking at this too long now and could use some fresh eyes on it, so please critique.

Head_Concept_Max.jpg

Oh, and ignore the colors and the fact that he is missing his one eye. He won't be this color scheme, and I didn't bother doing the other eye because it will for the most part be the same as the other side.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think I needed to pull the cheeks and those areas down, so I did it really quick. Here it is.

FixConcept_3D.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well... its been a while since my last update. I have been pretty busy but here's where I am at now.

Not sure what I can do to make this head better, so any advice would be appreciated.

In the mean time, I am going to get going with the body. I really have to get things moving now if I want to finish this.

Again, please critique if you guys have any suggestions...
    HeadDetailing.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Here is some body work. It still needs a bit of tweaking and a lot of detail work starting on another subdivision level.
    But for now I will probably get to work on clothing and the weapon.

As always any critiques are welcome.
    DWIII_Deamon_BodyWork.jpg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Brad, I would comment but all I see is your icon/name screaming out at people. I think you are coming along on your guy, though I would suggest you look at some anatomy for the body, even though it's alien it would help you to create a more realistic shape. Just a subtle hint though, get rid of your name being so large, and that picture entirely, as it looks unproffesional ( I am giving feedback on this, as it says you are currently looking for a job )

Spark
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Brad,

One thing that I've noticed is that the arm muscles seem a little disconnected. Right now they are getting that sausage-link look. If you look at some antaomical ref, you can see how the muscles sort of fit into one another.

Another thing to watch out for : if you pinch too tightly between the muscular forms, they will feel seperated and not like volumes of a single form. I would take the smooth and flatten brushes to some of those areas (shoulder-bicep transition, bicep-forearm). When sculpting organics, subtlety is key

Good luck!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Okay, Spark I will get rid of the logo. I thought I was being more professional by adding it, but if its only working against me no point in adding it every time.

Thanks for the reply on the anatomy issues Spark and foreverrendering. I knew there were some serious problems, but the comments make it all the more clear. I will go back and try to work some of the issues out with the high poly sculpt. It’s probably a little too late in the game to start from scratch so like I said, I will try to work with what I have.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, I tried to fix some of the problems mentioned with the model as best I could and here is where I am at now.

I think the "sausage" look is now gone, and I added some further detail trying to be as subtle as possible (hopefully not too subtle).
    Any ways, now I will go into making the clothes and weapon as I was going to before; and possibly wrap up the high poly modeling phase soon.
    (Note: the wings are not on the highest level here, and of course the head is only a low poly version. Also, yet another thing I need to do is get the second set of arms properly attached to the body. Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming...)
    DeamonFixSausage.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are lower arms working with no pecs/scapula system? I think if you detailed that are some more on the front of the torso it would add an air of believability to the shape.

Currently in the front view the lower arms looked a bit photoshopped.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    hmm... not used to this new look on the forum. Hope I post this right.

Micro- the torso area particularly the hips looks awkward to me still too. I will try to work more on that soon. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rick- Unfortunetly you are completely right once again. I didn't even consider the need for another set of traps, chest, and so fourth. I have now been looking around forums for some references of four armed creatures. So far I am looking at the hell gate london monster. If I fix this it might bring him together a lot more, so thanks for pointing that out.

On another note, I recently created a high and low poly weapon (like seen in the concept sketches). It's not terribly exciting but I think when all the texture come together I could make it look pretty slick.

Great comments, guys! Please keep helping me out.

Here's the weapon link: (how the hell do I link it so you can see it here on this forum?)
    (What do you know, I figured it out. We have to code a little now huh?)

SpearDisplay.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I took an hour out of my work schedule to try Squirrely Jones workflow technique (for creating high poly armor details) for his dominance war III character "Pandicarus". Anyone reading this who hasn't seen it, really needs to check it out.

Thanks again Squirrely for explaining your workflow, this is something I will definitely implement when I can.

Here are the results:

ArmorDetailingWorkflowPractice.jpg