Home General Discussion

When do u need an art test?

Hi guys,

I have heard friends got very good offers on site of GDC, while some of us had to go through art tests as a step to get second interview. We are all students, just wondering what kind of company or what level of skills make the company decide to give u an art test

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    prolly depends on the company
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    It's always nice to go to job fairs or places like the job booth at GDC because companies there get to meet you in person, talk to you, and if they really like you then I wouldn't be surprised if you got an offer. Art tests are one of those things you would do before an in house interview, and if you live far away from the studio, it's an important step before they decide to fly you in.

Also, being a student means you are a more likely candidate for an art test. People with experience can often get by with their resume and work from shipped titles.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, I would venture to say that most places demand an art test unless you really have an impressive resume', portfolio, AND a name to back it all up.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well most companies in the USA will make you do one, unless your reel clearly shows them the level of quality they are looking for. I always expect one and I am surprised when I'm not asked to do one. The other thing it gives the company is a better insight on how you do things and it will clearly show them if you can follow instructions. wink.gif

Alex
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I know that the main reason we require an art test is to see how well you do with a limited amount of time. You can show me 100 pieces that are all fantastic, but I have no idea how long it took you to make those, and no offense, but even if you tell me. . . I probably won't believe you.

Giving you a test, confirms that you can do great work, and also shows that you're able to do that great work in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Generally, if you've got a lot of directly relevant experience, you're an established artist and your portfolio leaves them certain that you have all the skills needed to do the job very well, you're less likely to be asked to do an art test. It also helps if you know somebody in the company who is willing to recommend you.

If your portfolio and/or your CV is good enough to get them interested but they still have questions about your skillset -- maybe you have too many characters and not enough environments, too many vehicles and not enough weapons, only high poly or only low poly work, not enough textures to assess your competence making them--you are more likely to be asked to do an art test.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It would be awesome if we had a section here or a link to some art tests that we could try out but I guess those would get overused like the concrete games art tests..
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    If we're interested, we test no matter what. Fresh out of school or ten year vet it doesn't matter. It shows what you can do *now* and how fast. That and it levels the play field for all apps.
  • Xena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, really helpful insights!

But what do u do after u finish your art test. One of my teachers warned me that do not send orginal maya or texture files to company because some of the studios will use the work for free but turn down the applicants. He suggested that only send the renders. I sent the original file anyway , trying not to offend the company. What is a better way to do?

Also, if you have done wonderful work for art test, can u use it later as your portfolio. I think most company wanna keep it confidential.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    you send whatever they ask you to send. If they don't say spefically, you shoudl really ask them. No-one uses art test assets unless they're a real shower of clowns, and you probably don't want to be working for people like that anyway
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Every place I've worked you get tested unless you're referred. Actually my first gig wasn't like that. They just needed a body to crunch and get the game done.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Personally I think as long as you label the company on the art test piece it should be OK...

I was really surprised when I didn't get an art test for my first job...but I did have two interviews before then.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    pliang your lucky, i was just wondering why cant people that dont goto school get into internships/ co-ops? i think its pretty stupid just because i didn't goto school doesn't mean i should not be eligible for an internship frown.gif i applied to blue castle for there co-ops have not got a word back yet guess ill just have to work harder smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your teacher is a goober. If a company does use an art test as an actual asset, they're in a bad way. Most tests are based on completed assets they can compare your work to. So it doesn't really matter, but the company will likely ask for the original assets.

Here's what I've experienced:

1)If you got the job the work you do at the company will always be better than what you did for the art test (or you're not performing at the level you proved you could). Therefore, any one of those pieces will make a better portfolio piece down the road.

2)If you failed the test, it will be obvious and a big fat failure right there for all to see.

3) A LOT of people are assigned the same test. It makes you look bad to have that same crap in your portfolio. Game developers know and recognize other game tests.

I've had passed tests in my portfolio before, nobody ever gave a crap about those pieces. Mainly because it's obvious it's not me. Let your own art shine to tell a story of who you are.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    I used art tests to get answers to questions that couldn't be accurately gauged during a phone interview. Questions I found best answered with art tests were things like: how efficiently can they create a high-poly mechanical model used for normal projection, how well can they interpret loose environment concepts into polished 3d scenes, or even how well they are able to make changes based on feedback and criticism. If the phone interview went well but there is noticeable weakness in that person's portfolio, that's when a test really helps out. Usually these were candidates right out of school, or artists from industries outside of game development.

Flying someone in for an interview takes a lot of resources when you consider plane tickets, hotel fares, transportation, group lunch, the office manager's time, art team's time, and time from any other employee involved in the interview process. Getting those answers before bringing someone in keeps costs down and usually makes for a more direct interview process.

When putting together a test, I tried to change it up each time to reflect what artistic questions I needed answers to. Changing it up also gave some variety so each applicant could end up with a unique portfolio piece if they didn't get the job. I've never understood why some companies give the exact same test to hundreds of applicants. It just seems lazy on the employers part. One that comes to mind is that ship model that Stainless Steel Studio seemed to send out to everyone looking for a job in 2002. I'd personally be weary of companies that give out art tests without at least talking to applicants on the phone first.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Like said above, it really depends on the studio and what you want to do. A friend of mine who just graduated in December had an interview with a game studio here in Dallas. He was going for an animator position, and before his 'formal' interview, he was given a Maya file and his test was to clean up some Motion Capture animation in X amount of time.

I have an instructor who went to a 2D movie studio, asked what he needed to do to get hired, and the person he was speaking to handed him some paper, pencils and told him where the drawing studio was at. He had from the moment he was given the paper till 'closing' time that night to animate a dog jumping onto a box and then jumping off again.

The vibe I get is that unless they see an amazing piece of work where they hire you on the spot, your portfolio may or may not determine if you need to take a test or not.
  • Xena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art tests are exhausting, especially when they come during your school time. So when I was asked for an art test for just an intern position, I turned it down because I was just done with another one for a full time position!
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    i just finished a art test for a well known company last week,they asked for all the files back
    max and photoshop ones,
    with a render and wire render,
    ok i emailed them back the render and the wire and max file,
    i tired emailing hr back the ps files,
    some were just big for her email box,
    i emailed her about it a week ago,
    still waiting for a response,
    are they just slow on getting back to you on things like this,i may call hr today or re email them,
    Chris
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would re email them personally. can't do any harm
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    emailing once a week is perfectly fine. As long as you aren't writing them every other day, then it's probably not annoying.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    Art tests are exhausting

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what this is?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Art tests are exhausting

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

bwahahaha

oh yah

that one's a keeper

You don't necessarily have to write off an art test because you didn't get a job. Sometimes people don't get jobs for other reasons.

Unfortunately, many companies will not tell you if you didn't get a job because they didn't like your art test or just because they found someone else with more experience, especially for entry level positions.

Having a good art test in your portfolio, especially if you can show the reference pieces, is an excellent addition (again, if it's a GOOD piece). It shows you can take direction and produce art to an industry standard given the kinsd of guidelines employers often give their artists. That is: a piece of concept art, poly count and texture restrictions, a time frame and maybe some feedback for changes.

Just because you didn't get the job doesn't mean the art test was failed. It's possible that's the case, but there are enough possible reasons besides that to not just write it off immediately, especially if you think it's good work and represents you as well as any other piece in your arsenal. Just because is wasn't what Art Director A wanted doesn't mean it's not what Art Director B will want.

Use common sense, of course, and get crits from friends and the mighty art beast that is polycount. But you don't always have to blindly write off an art test for a job you didn't get.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm referring specifically to failed art tests as in the art test itself not passing the guidelines. Not passed art tests that any other reason kept you from a job. I've been in the position before of passing a test, then the company losing their game deal and the job simply going away...with the company.

btw, danr wins this thread.
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Generally, if you've got a lot of directly relevant experience, you're an established artist and your portfolio leaves them certain that you have all the skills needed to do the job very well, you're less likely to be asked to do an art test. It also helps if you know somebody in the company who is willing to recommend you.

If your portfolio and/or your CV is good enough to get them interested but they still have questions about your skillset -- maybe you have too many characters and not enough environments, too many vehicles and not enough weapons, only high poly or only low poly work, not enough textures to assess your competence making them--you are more likely to be asked to do an art test.

[/ QUOTE ]

dot
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    This might be off-topic a little, but generally speaking, is it possible to effectively demonstrate skills in an art test while using a non-standard modeling package?

I know Max (or at least I did several versions ago, the last time I had access to it regularly) but I'm currently using Blender. Assuming my work on a test is otherwise solid, would that lessen my chances of being hired?