Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - doc rob - Zelmot or Thum

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
doc rob polycounter lvl 19
DomWar3-1.jpg

I've got two ideas here. The problem is I'm super busy at work and have a newborn at home. I'm going to try and get one of these done as a 2D entry. MAYBE both. There's no chance at all of a 3D entry.

1 - Zelmot and the Noggin Snatcher
Zelmot is a former farmer. He was working a dust farm when he accidentally dug up an ancient artifact hertofore known as the "Noggin Snatcher." The instant he touched its surface, it jumped at him. Its twisting metal shapes snapped forth like snakes, piercing and shredding his right arm, and embedding themselves in his chest. He collapsed in horrible pain and blacked out.

When he awoke, his arm was decayed and useless, but his body survived. For fifty years he treated the artifact as a curse, and skulked from refugee camp to refugee camp. Eventually he learned that the metallic sinews of the Noggin Snatcher could be commanded to snap forth, instantly decapitating whomever he wished (while preserving the head in near perfect condition - a nice keepsake). Zelmot found himself a purpose where before he had none. Now, he ventures through a portal shaped like a giant green smiley face, to snatch the noggins of his foes, and ruin their afternoons.
(Stalker/Darkness)

2 - Thum and Leaf
Thum, of the Heffor people of the Outer Quinlan, is a cultivator. He carries on his back an ancient, half-sentient plant, which he has named "Leaf." Leaf was one of a kind, an anachronism from an age when genetic engineering had nearly created super intelligent plants. When the civilization of Leaf's time fell, he was spared his home atop a great mountain. There he lived for more than a thousand years, eventually coming to be worshiped by the Heffor.

They treated him as a god, and together they discovered a way to fertilize Leaf with the pollen of a poison dart hosta. Now, Thum and Leaf roam the lands of their enemies, sewing seeds of the perfect killers: Endless armies of sentient, poison dart plants.

Oh, and if you fuck with Thum, he will hit you with his big fucking hoe.
(Invoker/Vegitation)

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great to see you join up, doc. also good to see how your sketches have evolved, there seems to be a lighter touch there, greater ability to suggest and render with ease.

i like them both, but Zelmot is going to need a better sell to make me want to go for him. if he's a decapitator, where are all his heads? smile.gif i'd like to see a more heroic/dramatic interpretation before you give up on him, with that rather interesting looking claw depicted in action.

Thum fairs far better out of the gate for overally personality/silhouette, but it's going to be a good challenge to differentiate him in the mass of vine/plant related artifact users that'll show up in this compo. i trust you can, just fair warning.

keep us updated!