Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My website

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I'm graduating in a month and I just got my website up. I would really like some critiques. I went to GDC and got some really good feedback from Mircosoft about what to add to make it even better. I actually talked to Bungie and Blizzard, but Bungie didn't really say much as far as critiques and Blizzard... well its Blizzard... haha... I'm way off for them.

www.joegracey.com

Replies

• Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    nice work but i think the website itself is blah you can make a really nice site by just using wordpress check it out it took me 3 minutes to set this up:

http://armanguy.wordpress.com/
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Everything appears to be in order.

Though, tbh, the lighting in the jungle scene is outright bad. Redoing that from the ground up with some colors, shadows and atmosphere would help. You could probably get away with it, but next to that poor dirstrict alley it doesn't hold up.

BTW, all your images are labeled "my caption".

You should also have your contact information on the main page. Saves time.
  • Mtg_kirin
    hey this link may help you. ITs begun to help me
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/index.php/2008/01/31/10-principles-of-effective-web-design/

though ur site looks pretty good IMO
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This must by why you're still dickin' around, Mtg_kirin. wink.gif
    Here's a link to the real article
    http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/
  • Mtg_kirin
    hehe good site wink.gif now time to redesign
  • Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't too annoyed by the design personally, though I agree that it could be improved.

it seems like you're wasting a lot of polys on some of the pieces, like the ....cot(???} in particular, I just don't see any reason why you'd need so many triangles for that?
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree that my website needs help. I want to rework my website when I finish the pieces that I'm working on right now. I'm going to learn how to create my own website soon, because it's really annoying having someone else do it for me.

I would actually use a site like wordpress or carbonmade but in order to pass my portfolio class I had to create my own website. And all my business cards have my website on them. I think my next batch of cards I'll change my website.

The lighting in the jungle sucks because I suck at lighting lol. I have so much respect for people who are good at lighting. I had one huge problem with the tent in the scene, for some reason it wouldn't cast shadows. I tried looking at all the options I could think of, but I'm not sure whats wrong.

I agree about the poly's on the cot, i didn't realize that until I put it up. I guess I was a little blind from looking at my site for so long. I'm gonna go back and fix that for sure.
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and thank you everyone for replying... I appreciate the positive feedback so far. smile.gif
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great artwork! I heart lightbox too

You have some web site errors you need to work out before you send this to anyone. I'm sure you're aware of some of them. One you may not have noticed is in your lightbox it says "my comment" for all your images :P

I think if you're weak on graphic design - as in laying out your site with style etc. You might want to copy someone elses. Copy some shoe or car site or anything. Put your own flare in of course. Change the colors...get some ideas.
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tyler for like'n my work! I'm going to talk to my friend who put this website up for me and have him add a comment for each of the pictures. I really need to learn how to edit my own website so I can change it whenever I want. So far people can stand my work, but can't stand my website. I think I'm going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow and picking up a website for dummies book. blush.gif
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I find blogs a little distracting as portfolio website personally. I prefer an actual simple webpage with thumbnails , like Ryan Church's http://www.ryanchurch.com/ It's super simple but it showcase your work really efficiently.

Personal preference I guess.